“A working wood-burning fireplace in my room!”
Review of Lenox Hotel

Lenox Hotel
Ranked #6 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 November 2012

I live in Plymouth, just an hour away, but was going to be in-town for a conference for several days and decided to splurge and stay at a hotel. A friend suggested the Lenox and as it turned out it's just a few blocks from the conference center, which was very convenient.

I booked a corner room with a working fireplace on the 11th floor, Room 1108. It was large and very cozy with a comfortable desk and great internet connection.

Service at this hotel is exceptional. Everyone is genuinely friendly and accommodating. My only complaint was that the bed wasn't comfortable. I think I was expecting it to be a bit more cushy as I'd read somewhere that they were pillow tops. I don't think the bed in this room is a pillow-top. I like a firm bed, but this seemed a little worn and too firm. Only other glitch was the room service breakfast wasn't as good as what I usually enjoy in a hotel. Eggs and english muffin were cold by the time they got to me.

I had a wonderful dinner one night at the little bar at City Table. Sirloin and mashed potatoes and some kind of delicious bread pudding. Also had the tuna tartare at the other bar in the hotel, which is a very fun atmosphere, all dark lights and black and white photos give it a noir feeling.

If you stay here and like steak, I'd also suggest going across the street for dinner or lunch at Abe & Louie's, my favorite steak house in Boston. Be sure to get the six layer chocolate cake if you do...it's to die for. First time I went there, while waiting for our dinner, we saw at least six orders of the cake delivered to tables nearby and knew it had to be good...it's beyond amazing.

I'd definitely stay at The Lenox again. It's a very cozy, and pretty boutique hotel with exceptional service and attention to detail.

Room Tip: Highly recommend the fireplace rooms. It was such a treat to have a fire built for me and so cozy an...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank pamcl
Write a ReviewReviews (3,453)

Reviewed 4 November 2012

We stayed four nights at the Lenox Hotel in Boston at the end of September 2012 and found the historic hotel to be in an excellent location to explore the city for the first time. It is ideally located near Copley Square in the Back Bay neighborhood; in addition to being within walking distance of so many shops, restaurants, and beautiful historic sights in the immediate area, venturing to other parts of town via the T (Boston's Transit system) is a snap with Copley Station just steps away. Boston is an incredibly walkable city so even with the availability of such an efficient and easy to use public transit system, we walked for hours at a time (in the rain, no less.) While we're not ones to be deterred by less than perfect weather, I think this also speaks volumes about Boston's beauty and historic intrigue that compelled us to walk for hours in rain and wind.
The hotel itself is old and enchanting, and at the first sight of the beautifully lit lobby, it's clear that this place was born in another era; from the glowing chandeliers to the fireplace and grandfather clock, the little refined touches remind one that this is a historic hotel (dating back to 1900) with a focus on hospitality.
The staff--everyone from the reservation specialists to the concierge to housekeeping--was exceptionally friendly and very guest-focused. Upon leaving and returning to the hotel each day, we were always wished a good day or greeted with a kind hello, respectively; staff held open doors, offered umbrellas to guests about to venture out in the rain, and handed out chocolates with or without turn-down service at night. If you're looking for something beyond a full-service hotel, the Lenox is exceptional as you will be offered a wide variety of additional amenities and services (both complimentary or at a cost) that can be incorporated into your stay.
As far as the room goes, we stayed in one of the hotel's "basic" rooms, which means it was one of the smaller, more minimal accommodations available (it's my understanding that this hotel has some incredible rooms and suites with fireplaces and fantastic corner views.) While I can understand how some might find the room to be a tight squeeze, it was perfectly suitable for two people who don't need or require a lot of extra space and who have stayed in all kinds of accommodations throughout our travels (including serious budget hotels and youth hostels); our room here at the Lenox was perfectly adequate in size and was more importantly clean and comfortable. While some old renovate and then update the decor to a more modern style, the Lenox has updated its rooms with modern amenities like flat-screen television, sound system with i-pod docking station, and free wi-fi in every room while keeping the decor more traditional (rich colors, classic patterns, and chandelier-style lighting). The layout of the room was efficient, the bathroom was very clean and was continuously re-stocked with Aveda products as needed, and outside noise was not an issue (the room seemed to be pretty well sound-proofed from street noise and traffic elsewhere within the hotel.)
As a side note, our bathroom did not have a lot of counter space for placing our personal toiletries; again, this might be specific to the type of room that we had and may not be an issue for other rooms at the Lenox. Even though we each limited our toiletries to what could fit in our quart-size bag into our carry-ons, we still found that we had to do a little bit of stacking (and stashing things elsewhere) to make it work. This is not a huge deal but I think that if I'd known ahead of time I might have brought along a hanging makeup/toiletry bag to keep all of my items together in one place--so if you are someone who likes to travel with a lot of personal items and you've booked one of the basic rooms at the Lenox, you might have to experiment a bit to find a set up that works well for your daily routine during your stay.
Ultimately, this is a clean, comfortable, and friendly (non-pretentious) place to stay when visiting Boston and the location is awesome. Hotel rates here can creep up to the higher end (based on room type, season, days of the week, etc) but if you are flexible with your travel dates and/or if you hunt down packages/hotel deals, I'm sure that there are lower rates to be found.
Whatever your reason for visiting Boston, if you choose to stay at the Lenox I think you will walk away with fond memories of both the city and this old hotel (as we did.) We were totally smitten by Boston and hope to have the pleasure to visit again soon!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 November 2012

We have just returned from a trip to Boston, thanks to all in the Lenox hotel, we had an amazing time, we were stuck in doors as a result of hurricane sandy, and I couldn't think of a nicer place than the Lenox to be in doors. The people at the desk were fantastic, Chris, Krista and Kelly were just terrific and concierge Justin. The decor is beautiful, the rooms and bathrooms just beautiful, in rooms movies were great. Fresh coffee each morning in the foyer, top class breakfast and apple juice in the evening, turn down service at night - lovely touch. Plenty of towels supplied, bath robes, one small item that is needed are slippers, just be warned none supplied so bring your own. Will return to the lenox when next in Boston. Thanks to all

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tonikillarney
Reviewed 2 November 2012

I stayed in this hotel for four nights in September 2012. The hotel is lovely, beautifully decorated and spotlessly clean. The staff are wonderful, especially the concierges, who helped us tremendously during our stay. Nothing was too much trouble.

We were there to celebrate a special birthday. When we checked in, the receptionist asked the reason for our stay. We thought nothing of it, However, 10 minutes after we were shown up to our room, the bellboy knocked on the door and delivered a gift basket full of snacks, treats and a soft toy lion with a Lenox ribbon around his neck. The note on the basket wished me a very happy birthday from the staff of the Lenox. It was a lovely surprise and certainly made me feel special.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Blackhalo72
Reviewed 1 November 2012

Excellent Back Bay location, within walking distance of lots of restaurants and nice shopping. Very close to a subway station.
Rooms are nice and comfortable, a bit old-fashioned but so different from the standard room we can get everywhere.
Reasonable prices (except the valet parking...).
Outstanding service from A to Z... A special mention to concierge Nina Senatore and to bellman Jimmy!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank jnha
Reviewed 31 October 2012

We spent 2 nights at the Lenox. Small but clean and comfortable rooms and good location. We where there during the Sandy storm night, so we eated once in the hotel restaurant and the food was quite good. So in all we can recommand the hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Francois B
Reviewed 30 October 2012

Stayed here for our 25th wedding anniversary and were thoutghly spoilt. Concierge was wonderful and booked theatre, dinner and arranged transport. Thank you all so much for making our stay so very special.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple