“When can I go back?”

Lenox Hotel
Ranked #6 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The Lenox is a beautifully restored, conveniently located hotel in the midst of the best area in Boston for visitors. What sets it apart is the warmth and helpfulness of the staff, from the front door on. I love historic hotels, and look for them, but The Lenox offers a concierge floor level of service to everyone who comes to the hotel. People feel comfortable sitting in the lobby reading by the fireplace, enjoying coffee or tea brought to them by a staff member. The front desk has normal sundries, but offers fruit or cookies as well. Some rooms have working fireplaces and they will make a fire for you if you desire. Wifi and cable are excellent, if you are waiting for someone to come back from a convention before you set out. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: The 11th floor adds an air filter to all their normal non-allergic fibers and linens.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Dona C

Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Celebrated our daughter's birthday with a weekend in Boston. My wife and I choose the suite and were really impressed but my daughter and her husband got a standard room and were disappointed.
We asked if we could upgrade to a suite and pay the difference? Although the hotel was very busy they accomadated her, sent cake to her room and did not charge for the upgrade.
All together the best hotel experience for us since we stayed at the Four Seasons I Maui

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Rhcastro
Reviewed 28 July 2014

From the moment we arrived, we were received with smiles and offered refreshments. Baked goods were available and changed regularly at the front desk.

Not long after checking into the hotel, we received yet another welcome phone call from guest services just to make sure that everything at the hotel was to our liking. I am sure that if anything had been out of place (which it was not), they would have been prompt in fixing things.

Little extras, like free Internet service and nightly turn down with chocolates on our pillow made for a welcome stay.

The bellmen were eager to help with bags and open doors welcoming us, "home" as we move about the hotel. They hailed taxis as though they wanted us to get the best ones, and allowed the less kempt taxis to go by to make sure we got into clean autos. This attention to detail and a general desire to make sure that we were pleased made us feel special and helped us relax in an unfamiliar place.

Want to know the best places to eat in the neighborhood, or hidden gems that only locals know about, ask the concierge. They are relaxed yet professional guides.

I know that we will be back the next time we visit the great city of Boston.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PixieStickQueen
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My friend, who never stays at any other Boston hotel, finally convinced me to book a room here, in spite of the expense. It wasn't expensive for a big city hotel, just more than I usually allow. It was worth it and more.
The Lenox is an old-fashioned Grande Dame-style hotel with impeccable service and large rooms with windows that open. My room had a large fireplace. I don't know whether it worked, but I could imagine a white Christmas here with stockings hung, and the warmth of the staff feeling like family.

Since I travel alone, staff attitude is a high priority. The staff was amazing. I had a welcoming note in my room signed not by the manager, which is usual, but by each member of the desk and concierge staff. Every request I had was met immediately and with generosity. The evening cookies at the front desk had been taken in by the time I returned from my errands and when I expressed disappointment, the desk clerk found me some. "Now all I need is tea!" I said, joking. No more than ten minutes later, the concierge himself appeared at my door with a pot of complimentary tea!

The location is the best. Boston is a walking city anyway, and the variety of nearby restaurants and shops (from boutique to designer to utilitarian like CVS) are interesting, but a real treat was walking back from my day's business through Boston Common, the Public Garden and Commonwealth Ave. Lots of runners, but for me, the most relaxing end to a day. Beautiful landscaping, statuary, people watching. Not to be missed.

Other notes:
They have an entire hypoallergenic floor.
I had Room 400, on the corner.
The bathroom was not large, but had a tub.
Do ask about nearby construction when you book your room. Also, being an historic building, the floor in my room slanted a bit. Didn't bother me in the slightest, but if you have balance problems, it might bother you.

Room Tip: Discuss your needs with the desk.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My daughter and I stayed there during a recent college tour. I had planned a car pick up with Casey, one of the concierges, a few weeks ago and had to make a change. I called the hotel and happened to get her again and she said she remembered booking my car and how could she help. She helped me to change my car pick up and we communicated several more times by email on the day of travel because our flight was very late.

When we arrived at the hotel close to midnight both the bell hop and the front desk associate were so nice and funny AND I got an upgrade. We were very surprised. We met Casey the next day and putting a voice with a face was great!

I loved the decor of the hotel, the music in the lobby, and coffee/tea in lobby in the morning. The best part was our car/driver. Casey booked Nick from Lux Limo Boston. He was great and picked us up for our college tour in a 4 door Tesla! He was at the hotel the morning we checked out at 7am and offered to drive us to the airport! Much better than a cab and only a little more money.

I am secretly hoping my daughter chooses a Boston college so I can stay at the Lenox and have Lux Limo drive me around.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We spent more to stay here and to have a special trip. Truly, the Sheraton or Hilton might have been better. While the hotel is pretty and welcoming from outside and into the lobby, the suite that we were assigned left much to be desired. A small cramped bathroom. A room overlooking a construction site and a most uncomfortable sofa. This is an historic hotel and that is very charming, but our room 608 could use a floor replacement. Beneath the carpeting were several soft spots.

From the very first night we requested a room change......did not happen.
I do travel alot and look forward to enjoying fine hotels and usually seek out the smaller boutique hotels for their personal service and attention to details and guest comforts. In my opinion, this hotel ddoes not attain the stanard.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank LBT615
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We stayed here over the July 4th Weekend. We paid extra for their 4th of July BBQ & fireworks watching on the roof. (It was held on July 3rd because of weather). What a great time. Perfect view of the fireworks. This hotel is just fabulous. Every team member was friendly and helpful. Great Location. The room was very comfortable, small like most city hotels, The AC was a little noisy but nothing ear plugs could not handle. The bathroom was very nice but I wish the sink was outside the shower area. My usual pet peeve plus no other mirror in the room that is near a plug except for the bathroom. I find that annoying but common with older hotels. I don't understand why the desk area does not have a mirror. Not every guest is a business traveler. But I would not let the deter me from staying here again or recommending it to friends. Free Wi-Fi which was a plus. Just a beautiful and a comfortable hotel. This is my new go to hotel in Boston. Loved it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple