“Sweet Suite”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I have stayed at the Langham Boston many times. It is located conveniently for most of my business meetings. Plus, I like it. It's hushed elegance, the way the Ritz Boston used to be before it went all modern. ... In any case, I was only staying the night, and the hotel was seemingly fairly empty, so I was awarded a free upgrade to a suite overlooking Post Office Square - if that's the name of it. All kinds of nice upgraded amenities came with, even the pens were lovely - not the usual. I think I really lucked out - maybe some celeb cancelled! Everything was first class, including the breakfast room service the next morning. I had the health breakfast and it was GIGANTIC and DELICIOUS. I felt like Julia Roberts in Pretty Woman - you remember the scene - definitely out of context and replace the waffles with egg white omelete with wild mushrooms and mild green onion. Tasty! My view of the Langham has improved even from the high opinion I held earlier. The staff are very international, and nice too.

Thanks for the upgrade guys!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Boston

Reviewed 27 July 2011

I stay at the Langham Boston once or twice a year when business brings me to Boston. The Langham is what I'd imagine hotels were like in a more genteel time. The lobby is modest but you are greeted like royalty. I've stayed in both the queen-sized and king rooms; both are very well appointed with nice bath amenities and bed linens and robes and slipper laid out every evening with the turn down service. You also get chocolates on your pillow, another lovely touch. There may be glitzier hotels but if you want impeccable service and old world charm the Langham can't be beat.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank eakNYC
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Loved this hotel, stayed for 4 nights during a heatwave. The kids had the best room, one with two double beds and probably half again as big as ours. Our room had a king sized bed and was a reasonable size. Lovely bathrooms, lots of fluffy towels. Really excellent large flat screen TV, mini-bar, coffee making machine, ice room close by. Deeply expensive bottled water (which we avoided, $9 for water). No free internet, which I have to say in this day and age is utterly unacceptable and deeply disappointing. However, just around the corner is Starbucks where of course the internet is FREE. We found two Starbucks within very easy walking distance, one large one which was mobbed, had lots of seats outside, about 3 mins away, one smaller one which was not, about 5 mins away. Main shopping a 7 min walk. Check-in staff great but the concierge quite the best we have ever come across, especially Daniel and William, they both made excellent restaurant recommendations, fixed up tours and even printed out our departure boarding cards. Sometimes when they go on a break some of the other staff man the desk, needless to say they generally know nothing. The bar at the hotel is a must. Looks like an old double height banking hall and the staff behind the bar charming and knowledgeable - try grabbing a chair at the bar, best place to be....there's also a little area upstairs which looks like it might be fun for a more intimate drink. Bar has a great vibe, busy but not overwhelmed. Despite being in the financial district we found this area fitted in perfectly with our plans, close to all the bus tours and harbour tours, we found it very easy walking distance to shops and the cinema (too hot one day to do anything else). Good gym and lovely little swimming pool which the kids enjoyed.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank BalhamBlonde
Reviewed 26 July 2011

The Langham is a beautiful, elegant hotel in the middle of the financial district, close to my company's Boston office. I've stayed here on business several times, whenever I have found a price below $300 per night, per company policy. And I will stay there again -- as long as I don't get room 411. At 4:09 am, I was suddenly awakened by an unseen force pulling me up out of bed. I was ice cold on that side, even though the room temperature was set at 72 degrees and I had a couple of blankets on the bed. was I am not kidding, I am not crazy, and nothing like that had ever happened to me before, or since. I yelled out in the darkness to whatever it was, to leave me alone and leave my room. I immediately felt the cold air go away and the feeling of dread, and I rolled over and went back to sleep and didn't wake until the alarm went off. At check-out, I asked the front desk if anyone else had had this experience in the room before and of course they very politely said no. But I wrote about it in the in-room diary. I would love to know if this has happened to anyone else staying in this hotel, especially room 411.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 July 2011

This was an excellent hotel for our 3 night stay this month. The front office staff were welcoming and very efficient. Our room was quite spacious, very clean, quiet and bedding very comfortable. Bathroom was excellent.

Would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulscan1
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I stayed here for a bachelorette party weekend. We had great adjoining rooms. The front desk staff was super helpful and the rooms were beautiful. The Langham is a lovely old Boston hotel. Parking was actually really convenient and cheap -- $18 in the garage a half block away (that is dirt cheap for Boston!).

The beds were comfortable and the room was clean. My only complaint is the location. Being in the Financial District, it was tough to wake up on Sunday morning and not be able to get a quick cup of coffee without paying a fortune. In Boston, it's tough to go a block without somewhere for coffee, but the nearest place other than the pricey hotel restaurant was five blocks away, according to the bellman. That's the only downside to this place. I'm guessing this hotel is fabulous if you're in town for business travel. Overall, though, good experience.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2011

Lovely grand dame type hotel, restaurant worth visiting, beds &linen top notch, rooms a bit on small side & though our bathroom huge only one small handbasin & elderly difficult to use shower!
Location really quiet but near to sights, etc. All the staff happy to help in all departments, we had a lovely time here

• Stayed: July 2011