“Solid, good quality hotel”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #18 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Apart from not having my room ready when I arrived - to which I got another (lesser) room that was ready, this hotel had more positives than the recent business hotels I've visited.
Firstly, I'd highlight a very helpful and knowledgeable concierge: don't know his name, but he's a huge big guy - looks like a night club doorman - but an encyclopedia of Boston. other service staff were also helpful.
In a city with many good hotels, the Langham at $335 business rate per night is not inexpesnive but not extortionate either. They gave me free wi fi - although it appears that you get changed when you sign in - and it's efficient.
Good in room amenities and the rooms are well appointed.
Pleasant lobby and and a very dramatic bar called Bond - with friendly bartenders.
It also has a reasonable indoor pool and a nice little gym - I didn't use the spa.
So, overall I was pleased with this hotel - and my readers know that I am a picky, harsh critic on business hotels with inflated reputations.

Room Tip: Before you book anything - talk to the concierge ( the big guy).
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Dear Charles d,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay with us and enjoyed our accommodations and in room amenities. Furthermore, I am pleased to read that found our newly renovated Lobby pleasant enjoyed your experience in BOND. Thank you as well for complementing our colleague Ryan at Concierge for his exceptional service and knowledge of Boston.

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Thank you, Arthur - front desk "in training" for the great service and friendly welcome. You did a wonderful job and I hope your employer reads this! We had to change rooms which was done very quickly. The chocolate bar looked yummy but didn't have time to indulge. I will do it another time.

Stayed: September 2013

Dear Sue F,

Thank you for your wonderful comment regarding the friendly and welcoming service you received from our colleague Arthur. Please know your comment has been shared with him. We look forward to welcoming you to the Chocolate Bar and back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed 20 September 2013

For the last four years we have been staying at this hotel with business friends/colleagues and their spouses. This hotel has become one of our favorite spots. The staff is friendly and attentive. There is always something going on. The gym is beautiful with a great pool!
The Sunday Brunch is by far the BEST you will come by!

Great location too!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank alidonovan

Dear alidonovan,

Thank you for your flattering review and for being a loyal guest of The Langham, Boston. I am delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us and that you consider us to be one of your favorite places. Additionally, I am pleased that you love our Sunday Brunch and we look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues back to The Langham, Boston soon.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Nice hotel and well located. We ate breakfast at a nearby eatery which was more than adequate. As it's in the financial district this was closed at the weekend. Spent some time relaxing in the nearby postoffice park watching the world go by.

would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2013

Dear Chris499514,

Thank you for your feedback of your stay at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and especially enjoyed relaxing in Post Office Square Park located next to The Langham. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon.

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Thank you Langham, Boston for making our trip so wonderful. Truly the most fabulous staff! The pink taxi was so much fun as was the chocolate bar! I hope to visit Boston again in the near future and will definitely stay at the Langham, Boston.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dbailey503

Dear dbailey503,

Thank you for your flattering review of your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston. I am delighted that you had a wonderful stay and particularly enjoyed our Pink Taxi and decadent Chocolate Bar. Thank you as well for complementing our colleagues for their exceptional service. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon

Reviewed 18 September 2013

Very good and friendly service, as usual, similar to their worldwide chains.

Nice heated pool with a great Jacuzzi. Comes with locker and keys. And also sauna.

Excellent location to food and amenities. Lots of great seafood nearby. Around 15 minutes walk to Chinatown, which boasts of more nice seafood.

Nice room.

Something weird about their 1865 membership though. I have fulfilled more than the number of stays per year to be entitled the 2nd highest tier membership. This means I should be automatically upgraded to the next better room whenever I travel. However, I was not given this entitlement this time round.

1  Thank johnsai2013

Dear johnsai2013,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am pleased that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our accommodations, amenities and location excellent. In reference to your 1865 Membership comment, although we try and extend an upgrade with every stay for our members, they are still subject to availability, and we apologize for not being to extend this benefit on your most recent stay with us. Thank you as well for complementing our friendly service and we hope to welcome you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Langham is a hotel in the financial district of Boston, facing Post Office Square (a small, beautiful park). It is in an excellent location for business meetings and to explore historic Boston.

The Lobby is somewhat cold, with intrusively loud piano music. Check-in was friendly and efficient and my room, though not big, was nice and overlooked the park. I did not like the fact that the windows were hermetically sealed so that one had to rely on the AC for fresh air (in New England, in the fall).

I had business meetings all day (though it was Saturday) and finally wanted to end the day with a drink at the hotel bar - which is called BOND. I had changed to casual wear and I really just wanted to sit there and have a drink. Nightclub type bouncers with secret-service style earphones block your way, look up and down on you and inquire whether you stay in the hotel? If the answer is affirmative, the bouncer guy will take his time scrutinizing your card and finally admit you - a privilege indeed to enter the bar of one's own hotel.

Rude and snooty service at the bar, which is full of entitled college-aged people, dressed for a high school prom, who looked and behaved like the ill-bred offspring of the people I had to deal with all day long (and who clearly were not staying in the hotel). Of course no room to sit, all tables and booths were of course "reserved" for Boston's version of a hip nightlife crowd. Very loud music did not add to the charm of the place, we escaped to the lobby to have our drink The lobby has the charm of a waiting room in a fancy Upper East Side dental office, but at least one can sit down.

Don't get me wrong, just like any long time Manhattanite, I would normally have been amused at such display of Snootiness and the provincial elites - as we tend to look down on all things not NYC - however not in the rate this hotel its charging its patrons - and not when in need of simply a drink after work (or of coffee the next morning).

Pompous concierge service the next day, another unpleasant experience that I did not have to make.

My summary:
If you don't mind staying in a "boutique" style hotel of the type the Ian Schrager group provides, and if you don't mind a snooty "we are beautiful people serving beautiful people" attitude of the staff like in the Delano Hotel in Miami, then stay here. I may put up with this in a resort location, but not while on a business trip in New England. I ll take the stuffy Omni Parker (see below my review) or the Boston Harbor Hotel any time.

Room Tip: Maybe one with a window one could open (if it exists).
7  Thank WorldWondererNYC

Dear WorldWondererNYC,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Langham, Boston. I am disappointed that your stay with us did not meet your expectations and that you encountered several shortfalls in the service you received while in Bond and from our Front of House colleagues. We have retrained our Front of House and Bond colleagues on the proper Langham standards of customer service and guest interaction. I am glad however, that you did find our location next to Post Office Square and within walking distance of local sights and attractions to be ideal for your stay. Thank you again for your feedback.