“Elegance makes this a destination as well as an accommodation”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #18 of 85 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 April 2014

At the risk of sounding pretentious, i would love to share that this establishment is truly elegant and a pure delight to visit. You've heard of a death of a thousand cuts...this is heaven of a thousand details. The staff is genuinely charming (it is even evident when they banter with each other). The lobby and the bond are charming and decor is a nice blend of modern and old world elegance. The rooms are super comfortable and made extra special with mugs instead of paper cups for the in room coffee. I hate to ruin the surprise but let's just say that the turn down service made me giggle and look forward to getting to my room at night. There is also something to be said for an establishment that offers (and remembers) your favorite newspaper. In a time where technology and modern rules, The Langham is an example of timeless elegance and service that makes me walk a little taller and smile a little brighter every time i'm in Boston. Yes I am cheezy...but i swear it's true!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear Maritza C,
Thank you for your flattering review of your stay with us at The Langham, Boston. We are delighted to read that you had a memorable stay with us and found our rooms comfortable and loved our Turndown service. Thank you for your complimenting our colleagues for their genuine service. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (2,429)

Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

My partner and I spent the night at the Langham on March 21st. We had booked directly through Langham's website in order to secure a room on a lower floor with high ceilings.

We were graciously upgraded to a Jr. Suite which left much to be desired. The room was extremely dated, dark, and dusty. There was a small sitting area in the room with a couch that sagged in the middle along with quite an awkward use of space. There was an overhead light in the room with tape and a paperclip holding it together it seemed. The lighting could not be independent controlled so we either were in darkness or too bright of a room. There was a 1990s era extension cord in plain sight. The carpet was tired looking and the fixtures in the bathroom were loose.

The bed itself was comfortable and the staff was professional as always. We asked to switch rooms while there and were given an even smaller smaller room which we declined.

We have stayed at the Langham many times and feel there needs to be a renovation at the Langham before we ever return. I feel the stay was a total waste of money and I would not return at all until there is some consistency in the room types and updates done.

It is always a pleasure to speak with Lucille at the front desk. She is an asset to the hotel and should be recognized!

Until Langham takes the steps necessary to update this property we will stay elsewhere in Boston.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Theend451,
Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay at The Langham, Boston. We are disappointed to learn that your stay did not meet your expectations and that you encountered several shortfalls. Our Engineering team has fixed the overhead light and are hoping to be able to renovate our guestrooms in the near future. We appreciate your feedback and hope that you will allow us the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

I stay at the Langham in Boston frequently for business - usually at least 3 times a year, since it re-opened under the new brand. The service is very good, with a bellman/doorman to meet your arrival. This time I arrived on a Sunday evening and it was raining, so he held an umbrella over me while retrieving my luggage from the taxi trunk. Check-in was efficient and pleasant. Since I'm familiar with the hotel, I did not need a tutorial on the services/facilities, etc. Had a room on the 9th floor this time - no view but the drapes were drawn for the evening anyway. My room key did not work so I went back down to the front desk and they gave me a new one and called my room when I got up there to make sure it worked this time.

Since it was a Sunday evening and I had already worked on the 3 hour Acela train ride on the way up to Boston, I intended to relax and watch some TV, have some dinner and go to bed. Would have liked to have watched a movie, but if the hotel has pay-per-view, I wasn't able to access it. Free wi-fi is a good thing and all hotels should provide that service for their guests. Charging for wi-fi is an antiquated and petty thing for hotels to do because they know their guests are going to need it (I usually use my air card or the hot spot on my smart phone, but the data charges are high) and it is a hassle to go to the lobby in order to get internet. Anyway, I digress.....so no movie, so I began scanning through the channels and they leave something to be desired - would have liked more cable options - I watch Bravo as a mind-rot thing, but I was stuck watching HGTV all night long (I'm not the network sit-com type).

Ordered the open-face steak sandwich for dinner since I hadn't had lunch and it was very good, although I had asked for the steak to be cooked medium-rare and it was much closer to rare. Only had a few of the fries but they were very good. Room service was prompt and efficient.

The rooms are small - always have been (I've been staying at this hotel in its various forms for over 20 years), but they are comfortable. The bed was very comfortable and there were plenty of outlets for my chargers. The bathroom is annoyingly small, though, and the tub/shower combo is really small. Not much space for toiletries, etc. The rooms are quiet and I could not hear my neighbors if I had any.

The one thing I would like to see improve is some recognition that I am a relatively frequent guest - even if I'm only there 3 or 4 nights a year, they should have a record and welcome me back, etc. Just a little nit-pic I have and not a deal breaker. I like the convenience to the financial district, so I will continue staying at the Langham even if there are nicer, roomier, better bathroom hotels in the vicinity.

Overall, though, it is a good option for business travelers to the financial district of Boston.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear destclubrefugee,
Thank you for your feedback and for continuing to be a loyal guest of The Langham, Boston. Thank you for complimenting our colleagues for their exceptional service. Thank you for your feedback regarding the Television Channels and our team is looking into possibly implementing a new In Room Entertainment system. Our Front Desk team is looking into amending the recognition program in order to ensure that all of our frequent guests are recognized upon arrival. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon,

Reviewed 30 March 2014

My daughter and her husband presented my wife and me with a "weekend in Boston" at the superb Langham Hotel for my 70th birthday. The Langham is well located and our room, a deluxe room with a king sized bed was well appointed, immaculate, and filled with five star amenities. My wife and I even noticed how well the pillow and pillow cases smelled! Lovely. We arrived at the Langham early enroute to the Museum of Fine Arts and the front desk receptionist, Larissa, made a special effort to provide us with an excellent room! David, the concierge, made us a timely dinner reservation at the Boston Harbor view Legal Seafood on the Long Wharf. Our stay at the Langham also included the Sunday Brunch which is the finest brunch at any price I have ever enjoyed! It is a vast five star culinary feast for which a reservation is a must! I took photos of the four courses I enjoyed...too much! See the photos below for my brunch selections!

Room Tip: The service at the Langham is exemplary. Treat the staff with respect and they respond with excepti...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JimRanes

Dear JimRanes,
Thank you for your flattering review of your stay at The Langham, Boston for your 70th Birthday. We are delighted to hear that you had a memorable stay with us and found our accommodations immaculate and comfortable and our amenities enjoyable. Additionally, we are pleased that you loved our Sunday City Brunch. Thank you for complimenting our colleagues Larissa and David for their exceptional service. Please know your comment has been shared with them. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston on your next visit to Boston.

Reviewed 29 March 2014

The service and amenities are first class. The attention to customer service sets this hotel apart. Arrive early and your room is ready with your personal preferences taken care of. The bed is so comfortable. Great linens, cozy robe and plenty of fluffy towels. Room was clean and quiet.
Convenient downtown location.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Buckybadgers,
Thank you for your feedback of your stay at The Langham, Boston. We are pleased to read that you had a memorable stay with us and found our beds comfortable and the service from our colleagues exceptional. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Great every time I stay. Quirky little rooms but really cozy. Great lobby area and staff. Highly recommended. The hotel is in a good location close to lots of restaurants and bars. Breakfast was really good.

Stayed: January 2014
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear grichardson_10,

Thank you for your feedback of your recent stay at The Langham during your visit to Boston, and for being a loyal guest. We are delighted that your stays with us continue to meet your expectations and that you enjoy our Lobby and our downtown location. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 26 March 2014

We've just spent 2 nights at The Langham. Before our arrival, we asked the hotel for a recommendation for a restaurant - the concierge, Daymeyn came up trumps with a great table at Mare. When he found out it was a holiday to celebrate our retirements from the military, he arranged for a lovely plate of chocolates - we never got to thank him personally.

Overall, the hotel was lovely - great room, great spa - we can't comment on the food as we ate out....but we would happily return.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear McWebb,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us at The Langham, Boston in celebration of your retirement. We are delighted to read that you found our accommodations and Chuan Body & Soul enjoyable. Thank you for mentioning our colleague Daymeyn for his helpfulness and thoughtfulness in arranging for a plate of chocolates in honor of your retirement. Please know your comment has been shared with him. Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon.