“Langham Lover Left Underwhelmed”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Boston is a city I visit every year with a wonderful range of hotels , but I thought it was time to add the Langham Boston to my list to help me maintain my 1865 Voyager status. I found it a clinical place lacking the usual generous amenities and friendly vibe I am use to at Langhams in Asia, Australia and New Zealand.Keep in mind this is is an expensive hotel so it should tick a lot of boxes.
Firstly only the basic toiletries were found in the bathroom, the usual signature box filled with toothbrushes, a razor and other necessities all decked out in pink was missing -looks like cost cutting at work?
The room - horrible , although large it had an awkward sloping window with a fixed curtain which did not take advantage of the park vista and a sparse furniture layout which meant it was impossible to watch the TV other than from the bed due to the lack of comfortable seating (a small couch would easily fit in the room)
I was staying with my daughter so we had 2 beds yet no separate reading light - this is my pet hate. Why would 2 people in separate beds have to share the same bedtime reading timetable in a big room that could easily fit a couple of side tables.
Location is in financial precinct so it not well situated for first time visitors who should look for somewhere not so dead and distant from the T. The closest T suggested by the concierge is Downtown Crossing but the area around Downtown Crossing is creepy at night. In conclusion - an overpriced business oriented hotel that lets Langham name down.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms with the sloping windows
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank farawaymum
langhamboston, General Manager at The Langham, Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear farawaymum,
Thank you for your review of your stay at The Langham, Boston. We are disappointed to read that your stay did not meet your expectations. We greatly appreciate your feedback regarding the layout of the guestroom and furnishings and will address this in the next renovation. Our location on Post Office Square is within a 5- 10 minute walk to the Waterfront, North End, Faneuil Hall and Boston Common with 5 T stations within a 10 minute walk. In addition to this, we do offer a complimentary Pink Taxi for our guests to use within a 2 mile radius from Wednesday – Sunday should you prefer not to walk or use public transport. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and are saddened to know that you will not be returning to The Langham, Boston.

There are newer reviews for The Langham, Boston

Reviewed 4 May 2014

I was in Boston for a conference a few weeks ago. LOVED it. The service was impeccable, the room fantastic, the Cafe in the lobby and The Bond Restaurant had great food. The Nespresso machine in the room instead of a standard coffee maker was a nice touch. he bed was comfortable, the turn down service was wonderful; there is not much that was lacking. The only thing I did not like was the fitness center. There wasn't much to it. I'm used to the nice fitness center in the Ritz properties. Other than that, it's a definite thumbs up and I would go back in a heart beat.

Room Tip: I was in a suite in the 9th floor facing the front of the building and it was very quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Denise J,
Thank you for your review of your stay at The Langham, Boston during your visit to city. We are delighted to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and found our accommodations comfortable and our service exceptional. We are pleased that you enjoyed our Turn Down service and appreciate your feedback regarding the fitness center. We are in the process of upgrading our fitness equipment and hope to implement this change in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I have been fortunate to be able to stay at the Boston Langham for the past 6 years. Each year it seems to get better. Not only are the rooms and amenities wonderful, but the service is very special. I am welcomed by name each year when I return and I feel like it is sort of a home-coming. They know my personal preferences and do everything possible to make me feel special. My favorite part is how they have taken an interest in my sons who have taken turns accompanying me to the Boston Marathon. This hotel is in a perfect location for this racet. The staff has even followed my progress during this amazing event. I love the Bond where I have met a dear friend that is our waitress and whom I always request when my sons and I have dinner there. The Café Fleuris is also very nice. I hope I can continue to qualify for Boston and celebrate this event with Family.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear MarathonMom2014,
Thank you for your flattering review of your stay with us once again at The Langham, Boston for the Marathon. We are delighted and honored that you continue to stay with us for such a wonderful event and look forward to welcoming you and your sons back for next year’s Marathon. Thank you as well for complimenting our colleagues for their warm and welcoming service. Please know your comment has been shared with them.

Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

There are a lot of little service touches that makes a stay at the Langham enjoyable. They put ice in your bucket as part of the turn down for instance. However the rooms in this old building are rather tiny.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear tankerdawg911,
Thank you for your feedback of your stay at The Langham, Boston and for complimenting our colleagues for their service and attention to details. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to the city.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I would often used the Langham in Boston for business trips to the area. The first time I stepped foot in the hotel, I was always greeted with a smile and the staff was very courteous. The check-in process was seamless and the rooms were immaculate. I always got a kick out of their having a copy of Alice in Wonderland in the nightstand.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Rich B,
Thank you for your review and for being a loyal guest of The Langham, Boston. We are delighted to read that our colleagues are always welcoming and courteous and that you enjoy our Alice in Wonderland book in our nightstand. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham soon.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

First time in The Langham. Stunning hotel. Greeted the moment we walked in the door. Walking distance to convention center. Great coffee bar for AM. Rooms were beautiful and clean. Gym well equipped so we went every am! We had dinner at the Bond restaurant which is a striking atmosphere. Juan was our waiter, he was top notch. Lovely scent throughout the lobby. Concierge was helpful and kind.

Room Tip: There is a second level to the gym. Did not realize that until our final day!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear GlassesQueen,
Thank you for your flattering review of your stay at The Langham, Boston. We are delighted to read that your stay exceeded your expectations and found our accommodations beautiful and clean and our amenities enjoyable. Thank you for complimenting our Concierge and our colleague Juan for their exceptional service. The scent in our Lobby is Ginger Flower and we will be offering this scent to take home in the coming months. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham, Boston.

Reviewed 30 April 2014

After a long day of visiting family in Boston, I was pleasantly surprised when I opened the door to my room at the Langham. The room was nicely furnished and the bed and pillows were amazing. I had the best sleep!

The staff are friendly, helpful, and remember your name. Although I did not use the gym and pool facilities, I will be bringing my gym clothes and bathing suit next time I stay at the Langham.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Dear ATripAdvisorMember,
Thank you for your review of your stay at The Langham, Boston. We are pleased to read that you had a comfortable and restful night’s sleep in our Blissful beds. Thank you as well for complimenting our colleagues for their friendly and attentive service. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Langham on your next visit to Boston.