“Great Historic Hotel in Boston”

The Langham, Boston
Ranked #17 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

This was the first time we have stayed in a Langham Hotel & we enjoyed our stay.

The hotel is in a great location for exploring Boston and is close to restaurants and in a safe location.

It is decorated in a style in keeping to the age of the building and is very clean and well maintained.

We especially liked the turn down service with the card advising of the next day's temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celcius.

We would definitely stay again if we return to Boston.

• Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Boston

Reviewed 18 June 2014

Looks good from the outside what with the flunkies on the door, but the whole hotel has an air of 'past its best'. The rooms are tired, staff are lifeless and unhelpful to point of rudeness, management was inept and actually lied to my face when a complaint was made and the corridors were noisy at night. Finally the food was awful and over priced but don't even think about complaining! There are better, more up to date and cheaper hotels in Boston - do your research and stay in them - it will be worth the effort. Let's put it this way, I spend my entire life in hotels on business and I've never written a really bad review but in this case I wish there was a category lower than 'Terrible'!

Room Tip: Not one in the Langham
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank eronay2000
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We like to have two beds, as far away as possible to minimise the sound of snoring! I was, therefore, not pleased to be allocated a room with one bed. However staff scanned the bookings and found us a very large twin room. I really appreciated their efforts and the up-graded room was really lovely.

We had a separate dressing area between the spacious bathroom and the bedroom. At the end of the two double beds was a sitting area, with desk, armchair small table, chest of drawers with TV and fridge, etc. It was very comfortable indeed. Our elegant room was in the old section of the hotel, so had high ceilings. Others in the group also enjoyed their rooms, most of which were in the new section.

The excellent breakfasts were served in a room that linked the old and new parts of the hotel with a glazed pergola-style atrium. Staff were attentive and pleasant.

It's a lovely hotel in a great position for seeing the city.

Room Tip: Our room faced the street but was still quiet, We liked the view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nocatnow
Reviewed 15 June 2014

We booked a weekend stay at the Langham Boston and found it to exceed our expectations. The room had a queen size bed with bathrobes and slippers.The towels were soft and of great bath size. The facility has a health club and swimming pool. Check in was very easy and fast. Valet parking had trouble parking my truck due to the height but kept it secure under the main alcove. Staff was very pleasant

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Love the location, décor, smell of the lobby when you walked in, loved the location, the cute pink car, nice turndown service, bathroom amenities...but if you're a business traveler, forget this hotel. I was at a conference and spent hours one night trying to respond to work email. It got so bad, I was up until 2am trying to have emails get out of my Outbox. When I didn't see it happening, I upgraded to the premium internet which wasn't much better. I called downstairs and told them I paid $18 to upgrade my internet speed and it still wasn't working. I really didn't care about the refund...just wanted to get two necessary projects out the door. As a result of this problem, I ended up missing a lovely dinner held by the company that arranged the business event. Front desk gave me a toll-free number, but this really isn't the answer. Spent a second night up till 1:30am having completely emails hang in the Langham hotel cyper space.

I also agree with another reviewer...no rooms next to the elevator. I was on the 8th floor...835 and heard constant noise all night. In addition, on my first day, someone from the hotel staff entered my room while I was in the room working on "email." When she realized I was in the room, she scurried away quickly. I left the room and asked her why she was entering my room, who she was and she had no explanation other than she thought the room was empty??? I called downstairs expecting a follow-up. I was able to give them my name, etc. and they were able to verify who is was...but why was she coming into my room when I had checked in 3 hours earlier...why take off and not introduce yourself? Maybe she stole my internet connection :-) No one ever followed-up...I eventually did and the person I talked with said there were notes in my file they had followed up and she should have knocked...yes, but she should have also stated why she was entering my room too...and she should not have taken off. I was disappointed in the lack of follow-up, service, lack of a restful night and being able to get my work done... Also, when I asked for milk to go with my tea during the conference during breakfast, I was told that it was at the buffet. We were in the midst of a table discussion...had high expectations and was excited to stay there...but disappointed.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you want to be disconnected from the rest of the world...if unplugging is what you...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank Judy3720
Reviewed 12 June 2014

My family and my friend's had a trip in Boston in Memorial Day weekend, and we stayed Langham for 3 days. The hotel is clean, spacious and staff is friendly and helpful. They always smile.

The day we checked in was also my birthday so we were upgrade to the room with king-sized bed and this room is spacious. My friend was staying the room with queen-sized bed, however, their room was at 7-floor so they had a good view of city. They were also happy to stay in that room.

We all had a good time there and hope we can visit this city again soon.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Irene H
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I don't really know why Im doing this review: this hotel does not need a recommendation from anyone.
Im sure its reputation goes before it.
As you will know from my other reviews, Im not that easy to please.
Try as I might, I could not find anything negative to say.
From the moment we turned up in pouring rain, when we were met with a commissionaire wielding a large umbrella, who took care of our car and luggage whilst we were checking in, to the way they looked after our luggage on the last day after check out as we had a late flight, and even offered the services in the spa for us to freshen up, everything was excellent.
The hotel itself is a converted bank, and many of the old features have been retained, but the whole ambience is one of quiet opulence, but with an accent on SERVICE.
Our room was lovely, overlooking a little park. We had a locked minibar, and a 'pantry' of goodies like nuts and chocolate. The coffee machine made a lovely cup of tea (and uniquely, there was tea on the tray) AND there was a nice mug AND A METAL TEASPOON as opposed to the bits of plastic for stirring that we had grown used to.
The bed linen was elegant, the fluffy bath robes very fluffy, the toiletries straight from the hotel spa.
The quality of furniture in the room and maintenance of it and the furnishings and paintwork was excellent, and the standard of cleanliness was sublime.
I did look for a negative, but honestly couldn't find one!
Go there!

Room Tip: Our room was on the park side, the low 400s, and the view was nice.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple