“Perfect Location!”

The Bostonian Boston
Ranked #23 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We just returned from a 3 night getaway at the Millennium Bostonian. We really loved the location of this hotel as it was across the street from Quincy Market which was always buzzing with activity. There were lots of restaurants, bars, shopping and plenty to see. The hotel staff were friendly and the rooms were clean and spacious. We travelled with another couple and my only suggestion would be to not bother upgrading to the balcony room which our friends did and the were disappointed as the balcony was really just a door that opened to a very small ledge with nowhere to put a chair if you wanted to. There was however, a great balcony on our floor which we sat out on one night with lounge chairs and a table which was nice. The beds were very comfortable and the room we had was quiet. We would recommend this hotel for the location as it was perfect to anywhere you wanted to go!

Room Tip: We were in room 739 which we didn't mind although the view wasn't the greatest it was a quie...
1  Thank linda w

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I would more gladly have given a 3.5 to Millennium Bostonian; the 3 is a limitation of the TripAdvisor interface.

The hotel location simply can't be beat and I have the sense that it leans on this pillar to justify it's expense and relative reputation. If you are interested in being at the center of the Boston tourist world with easy access to Faneuil Hall, the North End, Government Center etc. it's difficult if not impossible to exceed this spot. Millennium also is a smaller hotel (versus the hotel megatowers found elsewhere) so there is a pleasant intimacy as well.

These factors alone make a $200± a night decision reasonable in my estimation. Beyond this however the hotel seems to suffer from "resting on its laurels" and is flat otherwise.

The hotel design is dated and dry. A tight and awkward circular entry drive is followed by a front door (more often staffed than not but inconsistent) which features automatic openers that seem to work about 50% of the time, making our regular ins and outs also awkward - particular when door or Valet staff wouldn't physically open the door but instead press a button or activate the mechanism which was spotty at best.

Why do I mention such a mundane detail? This was representative of the service attitude of the hotel. Staff and services were THERE but clearly not all well trained in true Luxury standards and the result was therefore hit or miss throughout the stay.

The lobby is small and spare. A decor refresh is badly needed. It's one slightly charming aspect - a sitting area adjacent to the desk - is overwhelmed by the lack of furniture, art and comfort at large. Front Desk on arrival was messy - the area behind the agents strewn with boxes and loose papers, and the agent herself was extremely casual in posture and verbiage.

Hallways are desperate for a carpet refresh of some kind - my guests and I believed for the first 24 hours that they had just been shampooed, believing that the dark patching over the geometric design was dampness. Instead it never disappeared and we learned that it was an odd combination of poorly chosen hallway lighting (a combination of dim incandescent lights and cold LED over the doorways of the room which threw strange shadows) and wear.

The rooms themselves (we had three) were adequate. Decent size, standard amenities and a slightly progressive albeit somewhat pedestrian design. Views over the farmers market and into the North End were nice. Bathrooms were of good size and amenities were again adequate but not noteworthy. Housekeeping cleaned to based standards but no frills here; once daily service and no "touches."

Fitness center was a tiny, windowless afterthought though the limited equipment was in good repair.

We used the hotel restaurant, North 26, for two days of breakfast only. The first day the service was crisp and friendly (I believe due to our particular server) and the food pleasant and reasonably priced, though nothing to write home about. The second day the service was slow and the food appeared at even slower intervals. Interaction with the server that day was stunted and I had to personally go find him on two occasions during the meal when we couldn't wait any longer for a dish or refresh of some kind.

Overall a hit or miss experience. In my estimation this is a reasonably appointed three star hotel with a stellar location and just enough room amenity to make it scrape the four star ceiling. Without its particular spot on the map it's just an average, aging hotel. It's a shame because this could be a jewel if the service culture and the hotel cosmetics got some time, attention and dollars.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Joshua T
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Dear Reviewer,

We cannot thank you enough for your assessment and observations from your stay at Millennium Bostonian Hotel. As we appear to have some inconsistencies, I wish to offer my apologies for any shortcomings.

My management team and I, along with Millennium Hotels, are committed to the preservation of this hotel and currently are finalizing plans for updates to the hallway carpets and guest room appearance. This is a 'refresh' of spaces to insure that our image clears the four star ceiling you mentioned and we are eager to finalize in the upcoming months.

Our service team participates in ongoing training programs and we realize that we have some star performers who exceed our minimums, however not at the risk of having any staff member fall short. I will be meeting with our restaurant management team as they read your comments and a plan will be created to assess the service shortfall.

We take your comments as opportunity and I offer my promise that positive change will occur as a result.

Again, thank you,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

After much review of hotels on here and yelp, and trying to figure out the best location for our first trip to Boston, I am SOOO glad I booked here. When we come back to Boston, this will be our hotel for sure!

PROS:
LO-CA-TION, all the way!!! Having never been to Boston, I didn't know if it was better to be near the market places and harbor or near Boston Common. From this hotel, it's a five minute walk right through the market places to the harbor, and maybe a 15 min. walk at the most down to Boston Common to start the Freedom Trail. The hotel is pretty much on the Freedom Trail, too. We did the FT in one day, but easy to do southern part one day and northern (as in cross bridge and go to USS Constitution) another day. LOVED being near harbor for dinner and drinks, and a few blocks from hotel is the Northern section with a Little Italy type area. You will be SOOO happy with the location of this hotel. Didn't need car or public transportation once!

Summer FREEdom package - great deal (cheaper than AAA rate (and cheapest hotel with nice good reviews, I found) and with the package got free WiFi [which I could have done without, but nice to have] and $50 dining credit, which we used for lobster dinner at the hotel - YUM!)

Service - see my "tips" below. Also, always smiling doormen - not once did I open the door myself. "Welcome back" and "enjoy your day" messages really go a long way.

Rooms - modern, updated, bathrooms are big and spacious. Nice dressing area with mirror that I used to get ready while husband was in bathroom and shower.

Views - so cool to have the little one person, step out balcony to stand on, open up the patio doors, and take pictures and get fresh air. I wouldn't have paid the extra $30 for it, but a free upgrade..I'll take it! *There was also a cute little patio area on the 7th floor that we didn't get to use, but it had some tables and lounge chairs and we saw some people laying out and reading. Not a great view (just up to the sky), but cute.

CONS:
Our room had a door that I guess could have been opened to the adjoining room. We could hear a conversation next door word for word as soon as we got there. We were nervous. However, we didn't hear anything the next night. So, not sure if they left or were just more quiet.

We had a corner room, which was great (had two window areas, not sure if all do or if that's just corner rooms). But, two windows meant two awnings. It was extremely windy and the heavy metal awnings would bounce up at least once an hour when we were in the room and scare us! It was a loud bang. We didn't call because we had no idea how they'd go outside and even fix that (esp. the window that didn't open), so we just dealt with it. Think I only woke up once in the middle of the night (one night) to it. We managed. Feel I should mention it, but is the wind really their fault? Nope...

TIPS:
1) Are you celebrating something? If so, tell them when you make the reservation! I told them why it was a special weekend for us and I'd imagine that's why we got the upgraded room and a nice treat waiting for us in our room. :) Thank you, Millennium Hotel! As I wrote in your survey, that REALLY was a great kick-off to our first time ever in Boston.
1) They have a circle we could have pulled into where my husband could have dropped me and the bags off instead of carrying all our stuff from the parking garage upon arrival. At least we knew that for checkout day (had them hold onto our bags while we visited aquarium before leaving).
2) Parking (don't read if not needed): If staying for at least 2 nights and not needing your car, park your car at Government Center Garage. It is only 2 or 3 blocks from hotel and I got $31 for 3 days. As I wrote on yelp: From reading online, I knew I had to do the park and stay (no in and out privileges) online prior to arrival, and print my pass. Just bought a 3 day park and stay online. It is good from from 5 am the first day to 5 am the fourth day, actually. We will be checking out the 3rd day, but that might help others who stay late or are staying til early am hours. I checked out their facebook page and found a coupon code that saved me $14 (1 day free). So, $31 to park for 3 days in Boston?!? I'll take it! *Also, the drop down menu online wasn't working to pick a different credit card or expiration date. I called the 866 number and the woman was quite helpful. Did it all for me and I just printed my permit from the confirmation email she sent.
I'll change my review if I have any issues at the garage, but I doubt I will based on what I've read here. Excited to have found such a great deal!
3) There are no ice machines, or drink machines, but I did call down to find out where I could get ice and they said they'd send room service up to bring it to me. I declined. There was a fridge in the room, but it was stocked with other drinks for purchase. There was a sign asking you not to use it for personal items. We were fine with our own room temperature water bottles we brought. Of course I would not buy the $6.50 FIJI water in the room! Haha.
4) Saturday night was a LOT more lively outside of the hotel than Sunday night. Seemed to me that vendors, street performs, etc. in the marketplace packed up way earlier on Sunday than Saturday. So, if you're looking to enjoy the marketplace "nightlife," Sunday was not really the night to do so (in comparison to Saturday).

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor! We had great views from our 7th floor! *Some on here complained of loud mu...

Dear Contributor,

Thank you, thank you for a wonderful review and offering tips to future guests on the Pros and Cons of a visit.

We agree that parking is available elsewhere in the city for a lesser fee and if you are willing to walk a few blocks in a strange city, it is a value. As a note for future visits, I just offer caution as the public lots hold no liability for your vehicle while our lot is exclusive.

As far as the doorman and the lobster, difficult to decide which is better, however both are available everyday. Truly, our doorman have been with the hotel since opening day in 1983 and they are a welcome beacon for many returning and new guests to our hotel.

We do appreciate your comments and look forward to your return,

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Our wedding was supposed to take place at Fenway Park on July 4th. The game was postponed to Saturday becuase of rain (Hurricane Arthur). We had booked several rooms at the hotel for family and we went directly there. We only had a one day JP license. The staff was amazing helping us get checked in early, finding an truly great restaurant in the northend to accomodate 28 people for lunch as well as dinner and helping with an impromptu ceremony!
They treated us like royalty and made what could have been an awful day into one of the best days ever!
The next day was beautiful and Sox won the game!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nadine01062

Dear Newlyweds,

Congratulations!

I am aware of the circumstances from your stay and so proud of our team for assisting with plans to insure special memories. Service continues to reign supreme on our agenda and location will always falter to second, so that experiences such as yours' occur.

As far as the Red Sox I only wish we could claim some type of intervention, however like most Bostonians, we just cross our fingers and wait.

We hope to see you on your first anniversary, so please contact my office direct so that I might offer a bottle of bubbly.

Again, congratulations,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

My husband and I were here over this past 4th of July weekend and had another pleasant stay at the Millennium.

Things We Like About It:
1. Rooms - Clean, Modern, well heated & cooled, wonderful bathrooms (I LOVE their showers)

2. It's QUITE - I have never had a bad nights sleep here, with the windows shut the city noise disappears. Also, I have never had a problem hearing neighbors or people outside the room. A good night's sleep is important to me and I always get one here.

3. The location! Ok, this should have been my number one because I love where this hotel is. We love staying in the Faneuil Hall area, and this hotel is directly in the heart of the action. Quincy market is right across the street with all it's shops, restaurants and bars. On Saturday mornings there is a farmer's market on the sidewalk right outside the hotel, very charming. It is a 30 second walk from a Hubway station which is our go to method for getting around the city.

4. The staff - We have always been well taken care of. This last time we were there I accidentally forgot our sunblock in the glove box after we valeted the car, and one of the valets ran back to our car for it, I felt so bad but he was so nice about the whole thing. Also we showed up around 10:00am, they found a room for us and we were able to check in early. That was very convenient.

5. The restaurant - It's fantastic. The service is excellent and it is a great spot to people watch. Not to mention we were both extremely satisfied with out meals. Breakfast is pricey, but they do run some great dinner specials.

The things we don't like:

There isn't anything really. I've seen some people complain about the size of the rooms or the lack of a view. If you want a view just step outside! If you think the room is small, try staying in New York City! This is not a new building, it is a renovated historical building, so some details of the building are going to reflect that. But I think that's part of it's charm! The only people that would be unhappy here are people with a bad attitude.

Room Tip: Rooms in the 800 series take a separate elevator from the rest of the hotel once you reach the 7th f...
2  Thank BodhisMommy
RobertRivers, General Manager at The Bostonian Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Senior Contributor,

We love you!

Thank you for your comments related to your recent stay and your years' of loyal return. Our team truly cares about every guest and strive to touch each in some special way. Their efforts are genuine and we are fortunate to have so many associates realizing 25 and 30 years + of continuing service.

We appreciate your comment related to the historic charm of the Bostonian and we agree that this seperates the experience from a modern day large brand box hotel. Nearly every room has a view of an historic landmark including Faneuil Hall, Quincy Market, Old North Church, Hanover Street, Rose Kennedy Gardens, quaint cobblestone alleyways of the Blackstone Block, and so many more.

We look forward to your return and again, thank you,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

spent the night here before leaving for Italy. great location, close to harbor and all the action in Boston. the staff couldn't have been more pleasant and accommodating. room was nice and very clean. would definitely stay here again when in Boston

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank everlind
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Easy to find and get to, we used the valet parking ($47/night) and attendants were very pleasant. Check in was seamless, Room 614 was fantastic, very large, 2 double beds, comfortable bedding, very pleased.

Location was excellent to the North End. Faneuil Hall is across the street with TONS of shops and places to eat. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family