“Very pleased!”

Ranked #54 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Louisville, Colorado
“Very pleased!”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

Quaint neighborhood, excellent service - was referred by a business associate to stay here. Everything you'd want in a single suite. Highly recommended, Tom was very helpful with taxis and restaurant recommendations.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
tdesisto, General Manager at The Inn At St Botolph, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback! We are glad that you enjoyed your stay!

Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to assist you with your future reservation needs.

Tom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Lawrenceville, New Jersey
Reviewed 3 March 2014

A work colleague and I routinely travel to Boston for business. Normally, we stay at a small reasonably-priced inn in Cambridge, but, for our last trip we decided it would be prudent to reduce our commute time and book a hotel in the Back Bay area. We did our online research, read reviews, and made reservations at the Inn at St. Botolph.

Nestled on a side street in the prestigious neighborhood, the inn is actually a series of row houses that have been reconfigured into small studio apartments. Entering the premises was easy -- a key code was provided by email -- staying, was a herculean effort. Upon opening the door to room/apt #102, my nostrils were bombarded by the most putrid smell of death/decay that one can imagine. I was instantly nauseated and my eyes began to water. I immediately went to the inn's office (they do not have a check-in desk), reported the fetid atmosphere, and asked to switch my room. I was informed that the inn was completely booked and that the most they could do was to have housekeeping re-clean the space. (It's important to note that I was never offered a discount or refund.) Housekeeping's concept of "re-cleaning" the space was dismal. Scented powder was scattered onto the carpet and then "vacuumed." When I entered the apt for the second time, I began to gag on the combined stench of perfumed powder and decay. I demanded that housekeeping open the windows (in the dead of winter) to air the room. I also demanded that the heat -- which had been set to 80F -- be turned down because I was fairly positive that the initial stink had been escaping from the heating vents. (After careful contemplation, I am 99% positive that an animal died somewhere in the heating system and it's rotting carcass was being thoroughly cooked.) Housekeeping complied to my not so polite requests and then departed....and conveniently left someone else's trash in the center of the room.

The room aired for several hours as my colleague and I ate a lovely dinner at a local french bistro. When I returned, the perfumed smell of powder had somewhat dissipated but the noxious stench of decaying flesh was ripe. Since the hotel arrangements had been set on the corporate card prior to traveling, I was stuck for the evening. I tried to make lemonade out of lemons and sat down on the sofa to watch a few minutes of television while breathing out of my mouth. As I sat, I turned my head to gaze at the empty seat beside me and saw what looked like blood stains. I jumped up and in a frenzy checked the rest of the apartment. Blood stains were also on the shower curtain. Thoroughly disgusted, I put myself to bed keeping as much of a barrier between the linens and me as possible.

I awoke, shivering, at 2 am. I doubled checked all of the windows to to make sure I had closed them completely and then inspected the read-out on the thermostat. The room was 58F. Unable to disable the digital lock on the heating system and undo the clearly 10 degree preset loss in temperature, I went back to the inn's office...which was closed. Short of calling 911, no number was provided for emergencies. I trekked back to #102 and searched every closet and cabinet for an extra blanket. None was provided. I half halfheartedly slept with a complimentary bathrobe and two extra bath towels which had absorbed the odors in the room.

7:00 am the following morning I was rudely awoken by the radio clock which had been set by a previous tenant. I made my way to the bathroom in the hopes of washing the stench away. My hopes were quickly squashed. The shower in the bathroom had two nozzles -- one was set lower for handicapped accessibility. What I discovered was that only the handicapped shower-head worked and it was partially broken. When the knob to access water was fully turned...only a trickle of water came out of the shower head.

In short, I paid $160+city tax for consistent discomfort and filth. I could have saved money and tent camped with the homeless.

Room Tip: Avoid room #102
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Sarah M
Dear Sarah M,

We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. I have spoken with my office and housekeeping teams to find out what might have happened.

We would love for you to come back and see that what you experienced is an extreme anomaly. If you are returning to Boston and willing to give us another chance, please give me a call and I will make sure that you have a VIP stay.

MA
Reviewed 25 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here for Valentine's weekend/Boston Wine Expo for Feb 2014. No parking outside the street (not overnight) but there was reasonable parking in a garage 2 blocks over. The street is very quaint and you are located in the middle of everything in the Back Bay area. Our room was fantastic, the bed was so comfortable, bathrobes, a safe, kitchen, full size refrigerator....many amentities and the bathroom is much larger than you are used to if you have stayed in small apartments like this before. They have a workout room, free water in bottles and every morning they have a continental breakfast that included hot/cold cereal, Nespresso coffee, tea, juices and fruit. Very satisfying. We highly recommend this Inn and we will be staying here mainly for our future trips to the Back Bay area.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lee68
Dear Lee68,

We greatly appreciate you choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph and providing your feedback!

Please let us know when you are coming back to Boston, and it will be our pleasure to assist you!

Paso Robles, CA
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Really loved my stay at the Inn. The service was amazing, Tom was quick to offer help in all matters and was very kind. I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a home away from home, the rooms are very cozy.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Dear Ehowell,

We appreciate you choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph and sending us your feedback!

We hope to be of service again if you are ever returning to Boston!

taipei
Reviewed 11 February 2014

I was looking for a centrally located place to put my parents when they came to visit, and chanced upon The Inn. As far as we were concerned, it had everything that we were looking for!
1) Location: it is a 3 minute walk from the Prudential Center T stop, putting it directly on the green line and 10 minutes by T to Park Street. Furthermore, it is a 5-10 minute walk to Copley Square and the Newbury shopping area.
2) Comfort: we got a Queen suite on the fourth floor, which was spacious (we could fit a twin air mattress in the living room for an extra person to stay - $25 extra/night) and well lit by the many windows in the living area and the bedroom. There was a kitchenette in our room, equipped with everything from colanders to baking trays, as well as a small toaster oven and a microwave.
3) Value: for $187/night, it is a pretty great deal in the Boston area, especially if you factor in complimentary breakfast, free WiFi and its location. The breakfast was very basic, but good enough for our purposes: flavored yogurts, oatmeal boxes, loose leaf teas, nespresso machine, bagels with butter and cream. If you wanted to supplement with fruit, the Shaw's supermarket diagonally across the street should fulfill your needs.
One small thing: the room we got this time was 403, which was right next to the very noisy elevator, and my dad said that he could hear a group talking in an adjacent rooms, so if you are a light sleeper, I would recommend a different room!

Highly recommend.

Room Tip: 403 was right next to the elevator: noisy!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank yijang_l
Dear Yijang_1,

Thank you for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph for your parents stay! We really appreciate your feedback and are very glad that they enjoyed your stay!

Please let us know if you have any family coming in again, or if you just want a getaway for a night and we will be happy to assist you!

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Stayed here a couple years ago and again recently. There is an office staff but no front desk reception. You receive codes to enter the building and your room after you make your reservation. The rooms we stayed in had gas fireplaces, which were very useful on this past stay. Rooms are large and comfortable, as are the bathrooms. We made good use of the kitchenette in January by stocking up and making hot breakfasts; this was more practical and cozy given the inclement weather. The kitchen had everything we needed to make light meals and was very clean. The Inn is a block away from the Prudential center, i.e. large mall. There is a 7-11 across the street. We were also able to walk home from the Boston Symphony and other nearby attractions are in walking distance as well. I'm sure I'll be back here in the future.

Room Tip: Some rooms have nicer layouts.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ToujoursProvence
Dear Toujours_Provence,

Thank you for choosing the Inn @ St. Botolph and providing your feedback!

We look forward to being of service again the next time you are in Boston!

Nashua, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 January 2014

I love the Inn at Saint Botolph because it is a true boutique hotel. Lovely furnishings, and a modern approach to everything that the business traveler needs.

The hotel is on a quiet residential street that offers all the charm of an old Boston Neighborhood, and yet is literately around the corner from the Prudential Center shopping mall and the Green Line T - station at Prudential.

It is easy to get to any part of Boston from the hotel, and it made my business schedule possible.

The room was immaculately clean and tastefully decorated, and offered all the amenities that I could have desired. The heat was well-controlled by an in room thermostat, and the room was warm and cozy, even with the large bay windows and the 16 degree Boston Day.

I will definitely return during my next Boston stay.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Dear RobertoR329,

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and are very pleased that you've shared your feedback!

Please let us know if we can be of service with your future reservation needs!

Best regards,