“Had some issues -- but this Inn has great potential.”

The Inn At St Botolph
Ranked #55 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Dallas
“Had some issues -- but this Inn has great potential.”
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Recently stayed several days at the Inn at St. Botolph and left feeling a bit disappointed. Let me start off by saying that the rooms are impeccable decorated. I looked through the pictures on this site and my room is pictures and looked exactly as shown -- gorgeous modern furniture and fine linens. But once you get past the appearance there are some basic flaws which make a several day visit at this price point annoying.

I will start by listing the negative and needs improvement aspects of the Inn @ St Botolph and then finish the review with the positive aspects.

1) Absolutely no parking. I was warned of this by my secretary before arriving but was told it was easy to find. After driving several hours to Boston, I parked in front of the Inn’s building at 99 Botolph Street to get my several bags of luggage into the hotel and up the elevator to my room. I called the number on the room phone that said house manager (I believe it was room 109) and the gentleman who answered was very cold, uninformed and said that he didn't know where public parking was located and that the Inn Manager Ryan was not available. Very annoying -- so luckily my iPhone had "around me" feature and I was able to find the closest public parking garage about 1.5 blocks away. As this point – 30 minutes had passed trying to get the directions and when I looked out the room window to the street there was already a $40 ticket on the windshield of my rental car for parking after 4PM in "Resident Only" meters. I drove down to the public garage and the fee was $23 a day.
2) I walked back to the Inn from parking and unpacked by bags to find that there were no counters in the bathroom to place toiletries on. I had to place my items on the nightstand or under the sink. There was also no soap self in the shower which meant shampoo and soap had the rest on the shower floor during the entire visit. Bizarre, but I marked it up to growing pains, as they are a new Inn.
3) The security safe on the floor of the small closet was broken and would not stay shut causing the closet door to have issues closing. In such a small room this was creating an issue for me to get passed the bed to the bathroom area. I realized if I placed the ironing board in front of the safe to keep it closed – my closet would stay shut.
4) I opened my laptop to begin checking emails and look for a nearby restaurant / bar and found I could not connect to the Inn's Wireless Service. I looked around the room and in the drawers for a welcome letter with connection instructions and there were none. Once again, I braved calling the manager on duty and received voicemail (about 7:30 PM). He called back sounding very inconvenienced about 30 minutes later (I felt myself apologizing to him for even calling) and he gave me the pass code for the wireless which I tried but did not work. I wasn’t about to call back at that point so I emailed the Innkeeper (Ryan) with my issue so he could resolve it. Ryan did not call me on this issue for more than 24 hours -- luckily I had a wireless card that worked close to the window. Once Ryan explained that "pop-up blocker" needed to be turned off – it worked fine but then the connection expired later that evening and it did not reconnect again for the entire visit.
5) The first morning I woke up and walked into the very nicely appointed kitchenette to make coffee (there is a mini-coffee pot), however I discovered there were no small bags of coffee in the room. The coffee basket required the pre-measured packets so I went out and asked the housekeeper in the hall and she said they do not have coffee available for those machines and I could walk 1/2 a block to the 7-11 for coffee. Not cool and not appropriate when you are obviously trying to attract new, discerning customers.
6) Although the sheets on the very plush beds were high thread count (probably Frette) the many pillows were very tall and firm -- to the point I was uncomfortable and ended up sleeping between two of them as I could not get comfortable. There really needs to be a mix of pillows for different styles of sleepers.
7) Lastly, the elevator down the hall would "ding" very loudly every time it opened. Even with my room at the end of the hall -- it could be heard throughout the night. I am sure they can lower the volume or even turn off the floor bell since this Inn is very much like a private residence with keypad entries to the rooms instead of keys.

The upside of the Inn at Botolph for the price is:
1) Location, location, location!
2) Beautifully decorated room.
3) Security camera for letting visitors in with.
4) Walking distance to Prudential Center, shopping and nice cafes / restaurants.
5) Very clean -- daily housekeeper.
6) You do not feel like you are in a big hotel chain - very intimate (but you do need some service!).
7) Frette luxury bathrobes and plush white towels in bathroom.
8) Rain style showerhead in bathroom.
9) Windows open fully to allow breeze into room and gives a nice street view.
10) Fully stocked kitchen (cups, plates, wine glasses, etc.) and refrigerator has an icemaker.

I think once the Inn at 99 Botolph work through the growing pains of being new it will become a truly wonderful place to stay. They need work on refining the guest service dramatically and have the house manager (or someone) greet guests during basic Inn hours. If guests arrive late there should be a welcome letter or phone call from the Innkeeper explaining wireless, nearby public parking, cool places to eat and where to get coffee / breakfast the next morning… things that you would do if a guest was staying in your home.

I hope this review was useful and best regards.
Experienced Business and Leisure Traveler

• Liked — Gorgeous interior
  • Disliked — no internet access (difficult to connect to), no customer service, no parking (see review)
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
4 Thank Dcunard
innatstbtolph, Director of Operations at The Inn At St Botolph, responded to this review, 2 December 2008
Dear Sir:

Your recent review of The Inn @ St. Botolph on TripAdvisor caught my attention. I truly appreciate your feedback and want to assure you that although your experience was atypical, we are taking appropriate steps to see that it remains so.

We appreciate you taking into consideration the fact that we just opened and have some growing pains to overcome. In our effort to create an affordable luxury experience, The Inn @ St. Botolph has limited certain services such as the availability of a valet and parking. While this fact already appears on all confirmations, we are making it more visible and will be providing parking recommendations on our website and in the rooms. We realize that you had difficulty and will be more than happy to cover the cost of your parking ticket if you provide us with a receipt.

Each room at The Inn @ St. Botolph is unique, and most are equipped with bathroom shelf space. Unfortunately the delivery of the shower shelving was delayed until after our opening, so guests staying in early November did not have the opportunity to use them. In response to your other suggestions, we are currently working with our designer to provide additional shelf space near the bathroom sink and are completing an in-room directory which will clearly explain how to use our free hard-wired and wireless internet along with a quick reference for trouble shooting.

We will soon expand our pillow selection and begin including complimentary coffee packets in each room for those guests who do not wish to avail themselves of the coffee, espresso and cappuccino offered with continental breakfast daily in our lounge. The elevator ring has already been addressed and the in room safes have instructions so guests can utilize them with ease.

Lastly and most significantly, there is no excuse for making a guest feel uncomfortable under any circumstance. There is no other remedy than to upgrade our service standards and reinvigorate our staff. Trust that each member of our small but dedicated staff has seen your comments and has been reminded of the role they play in guaranteeing the comfort of our guests.

I hope that you will take my assurances to heart and will consider returning to The Inn @ St. Botolph.

Kindest Regards,

Keith Beardsley
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 November 2008

The Inn is Boston's best kept secret ! Quiet, well-appointed rooms make this my first choice for both overnight travelers and extended stays. It is the little special touches that make the difference, from thick towels and bathrobes to the many varieties of coffee available 24-7. Wireless internet is available, as is a small fitness center on the first floor, and a complimentary guest computer in the lounge. The Inn is equipped with elevators and outside lifts for wheelchair accessibility. Centrally located near the Prudential Center, it is a quick trip via the Green Line to anywhere. The Inn at St. Botolph is ideal for business travelers, or for anyone looking for quality lodging at a decent price.

• Liked — Location, quality, and price
  • Disliked — No complaints at all!
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank ladylibrarian58
Northport, Maine
Reviewed 4 November 2008

My husband, two young boys, and I stayed at the Inn at St. Botolph on it's opening weekend October 10th through 14th. We booked the penthouse suite for an incredible deal. The room had a very large master bedroom with a queen, a huge living room with sectional sofa, desk, and fireplace, and a smaller 'turret' room with a twin trundle bed for the kids. The suite also had a fully appointed kitchen and a very nice bathroom. Each room had its own flat screen tv! The furnishings were lovely; a kind of a subdued contemporary feel.
This hotel offers a very quiet, luxurious retreat. A place for those not looking for a grandiose lobby, concierge, or room service. There is, however, daily maid service, a small workout room, and a guest lobby that offers continental breakfast every morning.
We were a little nervous to be staying at the hotel on opening weekend. Understandably, there were a few small things that weren't quite ready, but nothing that is important enough to report. Ryan, the manager, was WONDERFUL! He obviously had been working tirelessly to get the hotel ready and was eager to make our stay comfortable. I have been to Boston many times and have stayed in hotels throughout the city including the Four Seasons, The Eliot, The Collonade, and others, but the Inn at St. Botolph fills all the requirements I have for a hotel. It is quiet (very important to me), the rooms are large and well appointed, it is centrally located, it is a great value, and it still retains a small intimate feel.
We will be back!

• Liked — The room and the peace and quiet in a big city!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Ultrvlt
San Francisco
Reviewed 24 October 2008

The size of the suites and location provide so much more than much more expensive hotels in Boston

• Stayed October 2008