“Modern Comfort”

Ranked #53 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Mebane, North Carolina
“Modern Comfort”
Reviewed 19 January 2010

We love this hotel! This is a Brownstone in the historic Back Bay area that was converted into a hotel. It is very hip and modern. The inn reminded my husband and I of a wonderful edgy place in London, called base2stay. The hotel is located one block from the Prudential Center and the “T” (Boston’s metro). All the booking for the hotel is done over the Internet. Once you pay, they email you an entry code for the keypad to their front door. This made us feel more secure as it limited who can get in to the building. You are also emailed an access code to enter your room. It is a lot like your front door code thus remembering both numbers was not hard. The keypads is a great idea as we did not have to schlep keys with us around Boston nor fumble for a key to get in to our room. We can see this 21st Century lock becoming more common at inns.
The Inn at St. Botolph definitely lives up to its namesake, the patron saint of travelers. It should be ranked even higher than it is in TripAdvisor. The rooms are spacious and tastefully decorated. A small kitchen is included with the room. There is a two-burner glass top stove, a full size refrigerator, lots of glasses (including some for Champagne and for other wines), utensils, and a kitchen sink. The bed was heavenly with its very soft and warm blanket made by Berkshire Blankets (We plan to buy some of these Massachusetts blankets for our beds soon!). The lighting is not the typical hotel room lighting. It made the room feel homey. Photos that you see online really represent how nice the rooms are.
There is free access to their wireless Internet. And if you haven't brought a laptop, there is an iMac in the basement lounge which you can also use free of charge. We did that to avoid the higher nasty airline luggage fees you pay at the airport. Due to the keypad entry to the inn, there is no need for a front desk. But1 That doesn’t mean you can’t get face-to-face service. The office desk folks were very friendly and helpful. They even steered us to one of their sister restaurants which ended up being an excellent recommendation (see our review of Teatro). The Continental Breakfast provided is light, but there is enough to eat to have you satisfied until lunchtime.
Parking warning: Boston only allows residents to park on the street in the city. There are metered spots out front, but they are only for residents after 6:00pm every day. This means Sunday through Saturday. Boston parking lots can run $40.00 per day without reentry (meaning you have to pay every time you exit the garage). We highly recommend hopping on to the “T” or a city bus. A cab is a better alternative to driving and parking a car in Boston. When looking for a place to stay in Boston for a convention or meeting, skip the Boston Marriott Copley and the Sheraton Boston Hotel, and have a wonderful time at The Inn At St Botolph.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Korean first
Long Beach, NY
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I had the pleasure of staying at the Inn over New Year's Eve weekend with my husband based on the recommendation of my sister who lives on the same block..I wasn't sure what to expect but I can tell you we felt as those we had our own apartment in Boston and we loved it..The living room w/fireplace was great, we were able to stock our fridge.The bed was heavenly..We are planning a return in the summer and hope to spend a week and I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else..Location is fantastic and even though room service is always nice, the breakfast items downstairs were great..We really enjoyed it and told everyone..On the way home, we read the review in the NY Times and I felt they were a bit harsh..The water pressue definitely could improve but if that is the only thing I could be negative on...Look forward to our return.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Brooklyn
Reviewed 8 January 2010

I have stayed at this hotel before and very much like the location and rooms, and the rates are very competitive. I do have a big bone to pick with their cancellation policy: I booked the room 10 days ago and attempted to cancel five days before our stay due to my husband being stuck on a work trip with a cancelled flight. I discovered you CANNOT cancel within a 14 day window (even though I booked within this window as well) and they will NOT give you credit for a stay another time, either. So, this means I have to eat my entire night's stay with no recourse.
So- word to the wise if you think there is any chance your trip might change- this is not your best option.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed 6 January 2010

We traveled for business and found St. Botolph online. At first, the presentation of a code to access the building and our rooms was a bit odd. Then, we recognized that the proprietors are on the cutting edge! The rooms were beautiful! The complimentary continental breakfast was just enough and most appreciated. The staff were VERY friendly and helpful in offering advice about restaurants. The location near the Back Bay is perfect. We all agreed that we would definitely stay here again. The hotel is great for business travel or leisure. Thank you, St. Botolph!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
Danville, Illinois
Reviewed 3 January 2010

I called St. Botolph's at the last minute and got a great rate to stay for my three night business trip to Boston. I had a one bedroom suite on the lower level (room 100) and was very happy with the entire experience.

The kitchen was nicely appointed and veyr handy, especially considering that a Shaw's grocery store is a short walk away. The furnishings are sized to the small rooms, but are comfortable. The lighting is all adjustable and not the typical hotel room lighting. The fireplace pilot light was not lit when I arrived but it was fixed quickly after that and it operated without problems during my entire visit.

The hotel offers wonderful privacy without sacrificing service. The breakfast provided is light, but with a kitchen of your own it really doesn't present a problem.

The location is convenient to the Shaws, and the T-station, not to mention a 7-11 right across the street. I will definitely stay there again when I travel to Boston.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Coventry UK
Reviewed 11 December 2009

I would thoroughly recommend a stay at The InN and thought it was a great location, a super facilty and excellent value for money. My one problem was, it rained, in fact it rained a lot ... and the pump to pump out the water from the basement ran right under my room! Please try and damp down the sound!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 30 November 2009

The hotel was a very pleasant surprise. Lots of charm combined with modern amenities. The room (suite) was cozy and comfortable, with a fully equipped kitchenette. The staff was friendly and helpful. We loved the location - quiet and convenient to stores, restaurants, public transportation and the convention center. We will certainly try to stay at the hotel again on our next visit!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled on business