“Located in the best part of Boston - highly recommend!”

Clarendon Square Inn
Ranked #2 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2014

I went to Boston for 5 days. The first 3 nights we spent at the W Boston. The last 2 nights I stayed here at the Clarendon Square Inn. I can honestly say I wish we had stayed here all 5 nights.

It's very comfortable, it's designed beautifully, the staff and owners are very attentive and helpful AND the big plus is that it is in the South End, which is in my opinion the best part of Boston. The South End is quiet, it's full of restaurants with some of the best food I've ever tasted. Everything is in walking distance. There are great shops, great food, great coffee, the Boston Public Library and other beautiful old buildings are there. And if you need a Lyft or taxi to the North End or any other part, it's relatively cheap $6-10.

Another thing I noticed is that the towels and bed sheets are extremely soft. I meant to ask them what they use before I left, but I forgot. No worries though because I will definitely be staying there again! Their soaps are high quality (Aveda), there is a hot tub and they provide extra towels and robes, they provide tea all day it seems. The inside lounge is large and beautiful.

I mean, you can tell that the owners really did their research to make it the most accommodating B&B. I absolutely loved it and will recommend it to all of my friends visiting Boston!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 March 2014

We wish to pass on a MASSIVE thank you for letting us have the pleasure of staying at Clarendon for our short break to Boston. We were in the Luxury Suite on the 2nd floor - and what a great room it is too!!

Our room was perfect - sadly with the weather being VERY COLD (minus 10c) so we did not get chance to use the Roof-top Hot-Tub, maybe on our next trip??

Please pass on a “BIG and SPECIAL” thanks to Karen, for being our morning hostess on Thursday and Friday – and please tell her our meal at “Sorellina” was ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS!!

Also, please thanks to Jasmine for her hospitality on Saturday.

Room Tip: go that bit extra and get a Luxury Room, you WILL NOT be disappointed!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Sometimes you plan a trip away and everything just falls into place beautifully. Thanks to the Clarendon Square Inn, our overnight getaway, sans kids for a change, to Boston was one of those experiences. After a short walk from the commuter rail, we found Clarendon nestled on a side street in back Bay. As soon as we walked in, we knew we were in for a treat. Each small detail of the common areas is gorgeously crafted to make you feel welcome and luxuriated. Wall hangings, prints, chairs, couches, rugs all come together to create a very well appointed inn. They are not lying about the stairs, there are many, but when we opened our room on the top floor, out first reaction was "Wow" Just like the common area, the bedroom was gorgeous, with a 4-poster bed, dual shower, comfortable sitting chair and well placed lighting. Despite the frigid weather, we did take advantage of the rooftop jacuzzi and it was easy to open and warm enough even on a January night. Breakfast was exquisite. As the Inn mentions on their web page, no B&B of this size can cook food, but the breakfast prepared by Kris left nothing to be desired. Delectable cheese and fruit, just right oatmeal, breads and good coffee all made the morning of our visit and relaxed and blissful way to start our day at the MFA. Highly recommend the sweet B&B to anyone visiting Boston.

Room Tip: Go for room one or two
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

We booked one night for a winter getaway. Tara, the manager, welcomed us warmly and provided all necessary information. Our deluxe Queen room on the third floor was immense, featuring gleaming mahogany woodwork and handsome furnishings. It included a nice sitting area and desk. The luxurious bathroom had a soaking tub, his and her sinks and large shower with two shower heads. Our accommodations were very quiet and comfortable. The continental breakfast was expansive, featuring hot oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs, cheeses and cold cuts as well as fabulous pastries from Pan d'Avignon on Cape Cod. This beautifully restored Victorian house is a short walk to a variety of excellent restaurants.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 December 2013

This was our second experience at the Clarendon Inn. We stayed for five nights beginning December 12th. Our room was outstanding, on the ground floor - quite roomy and quiet. We will definitely request this room again.

We like the Clarendon because of its location - blocks from the South End - our old neighborhood and also quick walking distance to Back Bay and Trinity Church in Copley Square.

A Starbucks is a quick three blocks away when the Inn is not ready for breakfast until 8 am each morning.

AN EXTRA: Free Boston Globe and New York Times to read daily.

Room Tip: Request large room on ground floor, in back of the Inn.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frank O
Reviewed 23 November 2013

We arrived at this wonderful B&B in the late evening (11:30pm) and let ourselves in as per the instructions we received via email for late night arrival. If you’re a bit taller, make sure to duck down a bit when entering the door (I hit my head twice as apparently I’m a slow learner haha...I nicknamed it the Hobbit door). Upon opening the door, we immediately had a very positive first impression: music was playing softly in the background, warm welcoming lights, fresh flowers, and snacks and a beverage carafe left out on Upon opening up the door I immediately gave myself a mental pat on the back :-)

The house is huge and made up of many levels:
-Main level is the breakfast/eating area
-next level up is the sitting area with 2 different seating areas which included a library & a piano -then there is the “pear” level (a row of pears on a ledge) with rooms
-then the “apple” level (where our room #2 was located) with rooms
-another level above us with rooms
-and finally the roof terrace with hot tub and an amazing city view! We made use of this every night
(there is also another level below the “main level” which more bedrooms. The total number of bedrooms is 7.

This and that:

-Lots of stairs which showed me just how out of shape I’m in
-Good selection of continental breakfast that sets you off for the day with healthy choices
-Staff-extremely welcoming and helpful (whether you need help navigating the city, booking reservations.....we received nothing but excellent service).
-Walking distance to the T (train), shops, restaurants, wine bars, and sites.
-the T is easy to navigate with a colour coded system
-Taxi tips: flag down on street, don’t book ahead –call as needed as it only takes 5-10min for them to arrive (if you try and book ahead they are very unlikely to show up---advice from numerous locals)
-we didn't rent a car and got around easily on foot, taxi, and the T (when we went to the football game)

We highly recommend this Inn when staying in Boston, and if going back-would book again without any hesitation.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank w0rld2c
Reviewed 25 October 2013

When you travel a lot you get tired of the same chain hotels - no matter how big and fancy they are. That is yet another reason why I try to stay at the Clarendon Square Inn whenever I am in Boston. The inn nestled on a beautiful quiet side street in Boston, has its own mix of contemporary and traditional design, lines, and feel. It is cozy yet elegant. The service is always top notch as is the breakfast. The views from the roof deck and the hot top are spectacular. My last stay was another great experience and I am looking forward to the next one!

Room Tip: Don't forget to check out the sunsets on the roof deck from the hot tub.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business