“Great cosy room - not a great location”
Review of Fort Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fort Hill Inn
Ranked #17 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
“Great cosy room - not a great location”
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

The Inn had a lovely room with plenty of appliances and amenities included. The beds were so comfortable and the bathroom was very nice. The innkeeper was very pleasant and helpful. A subway stop 5mins walk (or less) however the location in boston was a bit away from everything. Being our first trip to Boston we would book somewhere closer to town or back bay in the future.

1 Thank Livah5
oceandrivereviews, Owner at Fort Hill Inn, responded to this review, 17 September 2013
Thank You Very much for the review! It was very nice to meet and host you here.

I am very sorry the location was not perfect for you. Yes we are not in the Back Bay, but it is just 1 mile away, 4 minutes by subway or an easy walk or bike down the southwest corridor park.

Many of our guests enjoy museums which are close by about 1/2 mile and easy walking distance from here.

A great thing is our rates are less than half of most all of the hotels in the Back Bay, many of our guests appreciate saving on hotels and taking more trips!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My husband and I stayed hear for a few days. I loved the decor. We stayed in the room with bathroom. Parking is easy. Terri was very accommodating. We would love to stay here again.

Boston was awesome. Our first time and we loved it. Boston public gardens were beautiful. We did a tour of Fenway Park which was very interesting. Quincy market lots of shops and restaurants. Went to Cheers bar in Beacon Hill. Pretty much covered the whole city in a day and a half. Easy to navigate and felt safe.

Its a must for your Bucket List.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chechegirl
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We found this perfect little holiday retreat exactly as it was advertised. We rested, dined and entertained. The kitchen was easy, the furniture comfortable, and the decor was charming. Our host was accommodating and kind. We had no trouble checking in and out. We would choose to stay here over a hotel anytime.
The location was convenient to the trains and we walked to to most places. We only required a cab once when we found ourselves out late. I do think it's wise to not get caught walking back after dark. We did not feel unsafe. It is in a very calm and quiet area but Boston's city temperament seems to change from block to block.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MMB132013
oceandrivereviews, Owner at Fort Hill Inn, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Thank You for the wonderful review! It was excellent to meet and host you here. We are happy we met your expectations and it is always nice to get feedback from our guests.

Please Check in with us next time! Happy Travels, Terry

***Did just want to mention, the fort hill neighborhood is gentrified and safe, so taking the subway and walking day or night is never an issue.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I would really have liked a chance to try this place out. The availability showed open on the website and I had 3 emails from "Terry" indicating a guest room was available. I tried to call the Inn's number, which is a cell phone I believe, several times within a couple of hours to submit a credit card to hold the reservation. I left voicemail with no return call. I also emailed and told him that I was trying to reach him to make the reservation. I finally reached him in the evening and he told me he no longer had any available rooms. He seemed distracted or confused. This was for a 3 night. He had availability for 2 nights in a 1 bedroom unit, but he wouldn't make it available to me b/c of their 3 night rule. Then he basically told me he didn't want me as a patron. I am a business owner too and I would certainly have been more accommodating. In this case, he lost some considerable future business. I make at least 5 trips a year there as do many other associated family and friends. I am generous with my referrals as I use to be in the travel industry. My take is that he is busy enough that he can turn away business and not be concerned about it. That may not bode well for others' experiences that are able to catch him on his phone in order to make the reservation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SKIL9884
Response from the owner -
Dear Kilpatrick Gudeman,

Very sorry that you were not able to stay at our Inn. Unfortunately due to our Excellent reputation and reviews, we sell out quickly! Like almost all others in the hospitality business it is the first to make a deposit gets the reservation and unfortunately another guest reserved before you.

Our 3 night minimum policy is so we can continue to keep our rates reasonable for our guests.

We have a small staff focused on making sure our current guests are well cared for and respond to calls as soon as possible.

Very sorry we did not meet your expectations and you did not get to stay at the Fort Hill Inn, but for not even staying here a 1 star review seems a little drastic, however we do appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Stayed here 3 nights (minimum requirement) when we first got into Boston. The hosts were incredibly helpful and kind. Great room, tons of amenities, excellent bath facilities. The inn was conveniently located next to the Roxbury Crossing stop on the Orange line. Gorgeous garden patio sitting area for coffee. There are two things that I must address: to get to our room (a bedroom on the 3rd floor) required climbing 2 flights of very steep steps, and the neighborhood didn't feel like it was the safest place, but if you just stay aware of your surroundings, you should be okay. Overall, a very nice place.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank James E
Herts
Reviewed 13 April 2013 via mobile

Travelling as two couples we stayed in a ground floor apartment with two bedrooms. The apartment was comfortable with good facilities but was also full of character in its furnishing and decor so that we were happy to spend time there as well as go out. Roxbury Crossing subway station is less than 5 minutes walk away and provided us with quick frequent trains a few stops from central Boston. The neighbourhood was not part of tourist Boston but had its own character and we felt safe going about by day and night. The host is friendly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2013
2 Thank SlackerHerts
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed 15 March 2013 via mobile

First of all, the pre-arrival booking experience was flawless and very easy. Terry, as mentioned elsewhere was very accommodating, and also very charming and knowledgable.
The apartment is just beautiful, with every amenity you could wish. Lovely art adorns the walls. Very chic and very comfortable.
Location is away from bustle but 10 minutes from heart of Back Bay.
Priced attractively, beautifully maintained. Just about perfect for us!

• Stayed March 2013