“Awesome”
Review of Fort Hill Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Fort Hill Inn
Quincy, Illinois, United States
“Awesome”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Loved staying here. Such a nice place and felt much more at home than a hotel room. Would definitely stay here again. There was soft music playing when we entered and it was clean. Also there was a binder of information for guests that was very informative in what we should do.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States
Reviewed 6 July 2014

We booked five nights, but could hardly stomach staying two. The room was stuffy and claustrophobic. There was barely enough room for us to shuffle by our two modest sized suitcases. Neither of us could sleep because the bed was as hard and creaky as an old wood floor. I am not a big guy (5'8”, 185lbs), but my elbows repeatedly banged against the small and awkwardly shaped shower walls.
The train is a depressing and steeply inclined five minute walk through a run-down neighborhood. Then, it is at least a 45 minute bone-jarring ride that includes a train switch to reach any Boston tourist attraction. We followed our “host's” directions once, and it took an hour and a half to go two miles and still did not arrive at our destination.
As for hospitality, we were greeted by an envelope with my wife's misspelled name on it even though they had several email exchanges. When we told Terrance we were not happy with our stay his response was, “Oh, sorry. You're still paying me,” without a sincere apology. He then argued for about 10 minutes that what we found unacceptable was normal for people who live there. However, after speaking with several other citizens, and getting some raised eyebrows, that is simply not true. We were charged the full rate while we waited for a taxi to take us to a hotel. We wound up paying $450 (in addition to the $300 deposit AND another $700 to the hotel). Worth it to NOT stay at Fort Hill Inn! Which is not a hotel. Merely a couple of small rooms for rent.

We did thoroughly enjoy Boston... AFTER we moved to better accommodations. What a difference where you stay makes!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dustin P
oceandrivereviews, Owner at Fort Hill Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
Thank You for your comments! we are always happy to hear guest experiences good and other as it helps us to improve.

Just wanted to take this opportunity to acquaint future guest with our Inn. We are a historic property that was built in 1860, it has been updated over the years but maintained to preserve the historic charm. We provide a laid back casual environment here, offer a combination of guest rooms with private baths as well as choice full apartments, geared towards the budget conscious savvy traveler familiar with historic cities accomodations; fine with subways and the occasional hill and looking to experience the city from a real Boston neighborhood. We provide a comfortable, clean and safe Inn, with excellent access to all of the attractions. We Enjoy meeting guests and sharing our over 25 years of experiences living in Boston, sharing tips and orienting guests from an insiders prospective. We then like to allow guests privacy and space to explore the city on their own.

What we are not, is a full service hotel. We do not have a Valet, Concierge, Front Desk or other frivolous amenities that push up costs per night. Our guest rooms are clean and modest in size, 15x20 with 3 large windows that open fully for plenty of light/air. The rooms and apartments have all been updated with modern amenities, such as air conditioning and other conveniences. All have some accents and antiques from the period and we continually upgrade mattresses and bedding as needed for guest comfort. Boston is a historic city and like many other older historic cities in Europe and throughout the world, rooms typically are modest in size.

This type of unique accommodation is not for everyone, we appreciate and understand there will be some guests this will not appeal to, however there are plenty of chain hotels available to fill the need.

**A few quick things I wanted to point out in the review that are inaccurate and misleading to future guests:

We are on the Orange Line Subway. It is in fact a 5 minute walk to the subway and a direct(no change or transfer) 3 stops and a 5 minute ride to the Back Bay which is the center of the attractions. The Orange line goes directly through the city and also to most of the attractions. The city is also very walkable and compact. Museum of Fine Arts, Gardner are within walking distance(less than 1 mile). We have maps, guides and plenty of information in all rooms to get you anywhere in the city easily. We are also happy to direct guests if needed.

As for your comments: “The train is depressing and steeply inclined five minute walk” and a “45 minute Bone Jarring” ride. The subway is over 100 years old, the oldest in the nation, most residents and visitors in Boston Do Not have cars, enjoy and rely strictly on the subway to get around, which I feel is an excellent system. Very sorry it was not to your liking or convenient for you.

We just recently celebrated our 5th anniversary, have hosted thousands of guest from all over the world, received an award from trip advisor in 2013 for ranking in the top 10% of all in the world, we also have many, many repeat visitors that return year after year and sell out months in advance due to our good rating and reasonable prices for Boston.

Lastly, There are now houses in this neighborhood that are selling for well over 1 mil, recent real estate prices in this neighborhood(fort hill/highland park) have escalated 20-25% that would not be indicative of as you state a, “run down neighborhood”. This is a historic city built mostly in the 1800's, it is not Disney, where everything is perfect, scrubbed nightly, highly manicured lawns and fake this and fake that. We are the real deal here! a comfortable, charming informal Inn, in a Historic Boston neighborhood.

ps. I am very, very sorry for not spelling Bonnie's name properly, thank you for pointing that out! I do try very hard to get that right as that is Very unprofessional. Oh, by the way you misspelled my name, the proper spelling is: Terrence. Please refer to the multiple emails we shared. Thanks!
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 nights and had a comfortable stay. Pros and cons to any place off the beaten path. If you have a lot of luggage be prepared to get sweaty carrying it up to the 3rd floor and back down. Terry was so nice to help when we arrived. The bathroom and bedroom were being cleaned the day of our arrival but he let us put our bags in the room because our checkout from the previous hotel was 12pm which was very nice and never a possibility at chain hotels. It was quiet and cozy. The bed was not as comfortable as I would have hoped and the room was warm so we cranked on the AC. This is pretty close to the train/subway so it's easy to get back and forth to town. I enjoyed my stay at the Fort Hill Inn!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leonor C
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 13 April 2014

+ very nice and clean bedroom and bathroom
+ comfortable bed
+ 5min walk from metro and then 10-15min to town
+ 30-35min walk to town or less than 10min with HUB bikes
+ quiet neibourhood
+ the owner is a very friendly and likes to make help

- not in center of the city
- seems there's not much to see in the neibourhood

Room Tip: our 2nd floor room was very nice
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
oceandrivereviews, Owner at Fort Hill Inn, responded to this review, 19 April 2014
Thank You Evgueny for such a wonderful review. It was so nice to meet and host you here at our modest little Inn. It is great Guest like you that make the hosting experience soo enjoyable! We look forward to your return visit.

All the Best, Terry
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 November 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from an extended stay here and had a fabulous experience. We really had no complaints. The location was good. The subway station was about a 5 minutes walk away. From here, you can access all the main attractions. I also ran the Southwest Corridor route into downtown-which was paved for and very safe. If you enjoy walking, you could even walk into town on a nice day. I would estimate this would take about 45 minutes or so. Checking in and out was a breeze. I really appreciated that we were able to pay through Paypal.
The photos posted were very accurate. I usually like to post my own, but this would be quite redundant in this case. We quite enjoyed utilizing the kitchen, which helped us save some money on food costs during this trip. Note there is no washer/dryer in this unit. However, there is an inexpensive laundromat on Tremont (Sunny Laundromat) just a short walk away.

My only advice is to use your common sense if you have to venture into the Mission Hill area, which is just to the left as you exit the subway (Fort Hill Inn is towards the right). This area did seem a little sketchy at night. But overall, we felt pretty safe in our travels and didn't encounter any issues.

Room Tip: stay on the first floor if you don't want to lug your suitcases up a flight of stairs
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lucianne
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Minutes to downtown Boston. Beautiful apartment with all the amenities of a hotel. Yet only Half the price. My husband and i Loved it! We Can't wait to come back. Thanks Terry. We hope to make it back to Boston in December.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Lastega2013
oceandrivereviews, General Manager at Fort Hill Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Thank You Kitty for the great review! It was soo nice to meet you and your hubby and make new friends. It was truly a memorable experience, sharing wine and cheese and wonderful conversation.

Enjoy your fall and Can't wait to see you again in December!

Best Wishes, Terry
Arlington, Vermont
Reviewed 4 September 2013

When my wife and I arrived at the Fort Hill Inn on August 25 at 2:30 p.m., the front door was locked and there was no response from ringing the doorbell. I phoned Terry and left a voicemail to let him know we had arrived. I called again at 3:04 and left a second voicemail to let him know we were waiting to check in and asked him to return my calls. At 3:19 I emailed him telling him that it appeared he had forgotten our reservation. At 4:11, not having received any reply from him, I left a third voicemail advising him that his nonresponse had forced us to search for a room elsewhere. At the end of the day, we were left sitting in front of the Fort Hill Inn searching for other accommodations.

At 11:17 p.m. Terry finally responded. He left me a voicemail (we were sleeping by then), stating that the housekeeper had forgotten to make arrangements for our arrival. I phoned him back the following morning and left a voicemail asking him to process a refund. At 1:37 p.m. I received an email stating that he was sorry for the "confusion"; a refund followed shortly afterward.

The owner's lack of communication, knowing that guests were arriving, was inconsiderate and unacceptable.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kltbtd
oceandrivereviews, Owner at Fort Hill Inn, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
Dear Bryan,

We are Very sorry that this happened, I understand as a traveler myself, this can be an extremely stressful situation and it is totally unacceptable for this to ever happen. It turns out the keys were in the key box and another guest mistakenly picked up your set. This has never happened before and we want to insure it never happens again, so we have reviewed and changed our key handling procedures to insure this will never happen again.

Terry
Innkeeper
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boston
Back Bay
Fenway / Kenmore
Eliot Hotel
Eliot Hotel
#9 of 83 in Boston

Been to Fort Hill Inn? Share your experiences!