“best feature is the location”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #35 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed for a few days in July with family. Hotel is set up differently than most as buildings are separate from each other. The building we stayed in was across from building with reception desk etc. Room was fairly clean and modern with nice bathroom and large flat screen TV. The beds are surrounded by a vinyl (or leather) rail which housekeeping forgot to clean. I did have to take a cloth and wipe something which had "spilled" and dried to the vinyl. Scrubbed off easily and did not bother mentioning it as did not want to make a big deal but gross just the same. We did find the room to be quite small. The only chair was the one that came with the desk. The air conditioner was located right beside the head of one of the two double beds. A bit noisy when trying to sleep. We did pay for a harbour view room which was nice. (we were on the side of the building at the end closest to the water.) The problem was that we were on the ground level and the surrounding shrubs and bushes had not been pruned and obstructed a fair bit of the view. Also, it was lovely to be able to open the windows but there were no screens on them. We soon had a few flies, so were not able to leave them open. I also noticed that the wallpaper in the corner of the bathroom was starting to peel. Although these may seem like minor details, they are all easy maintenance issues which should be addressed by a property charging these rates. Valet parking was nice but not cheap. You cannot access the parking garage without the valet so make sure you remove everything you may need from your vehicle. We only had breakfast at the hotel one morning. It was fine but expensive for the quality.
The best thing about this hotel, as others have mentioned, is the location. We were able to walk to most things. The dining options in the north end are wonderful. It is lovely to be near the water, especially on a hot summer day. Although there did not appear to be a dedicated concierge, any recommendations from staff were always very good. Would consider staying again next time we're in Boston.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Just stayed for one night. Was very happy with the location, great for strolling, and also with the fabulous water view. The room was very stylish and comfortable, though if I'd realized that it didn't have a bath, I might not have chosen it.

My only unhappiness was that although the front desk staff were very friendly and prompt at checking me in and out, they weren't at all helpful with two problems I had. First, I was unable to sign in on the hotel's wireless network, and when I followed the on-screen instruction to contact the front desk, I was told their engineer would come to my room to fix the problem. That would have been great if he had ever arrived, but after well over an hour I resorted to calling the service provider's own helpline, spending ten minutes on hold, and then finally getting them to fix the problem directly. Second, I had been told to book my water taxi to Logan airport through the front desk, which I did. Ten minutes after my scheduled departure time, however, when a water taxi finally showed up, he said that he didn't have a booking for me, and therefore couldn't take me. I phoned the front desk, to which I only got through after four minutes on hold, and was just vaguely told that someone would inquire about the problem. Fortunately, the next water taxi operator to show up didn't mind taking me, even though he also didn't have my booking either. Also fortunately, I had left a lot of time before my flight, so I wasn't too worried (though if someone had told me that I would then have to wait half-an-hour for the shuttle bus on the other side of the water, I would probably have just taken a cab to the airport and foregone what was othewise an enjoyable boat ride).

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Stayed at the Fairmont Battery Wharf this past weekend for a "Staycation" Hotel getaway in Boston. The service from check in, to concierge assistance, to houskeeping was top notch. Every Fairmont employee we interacted with had a smile and a can-do attitude. I felt spoiled and pampered with the continual high level service. Was sad to leave the property at check out as the stay was so enjoyable.

The rooms were well appointed with a modern feel. All the amenities and comforts I expect from a high end hotel. The location on the Harbor is fantastic and I highly recommened you enjoy a water taxi ride from the hotel to get around. We took the water taxi from the hotel over to Del Friscos Steak House at Liberty Wharf.

Overall, a fantastic place to stay, to relax, to enjoy an exceptional level of service, and to enjoy the city of Boston.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Nice beautiful hotel on the water. They treat you like royality. Within walking distance to lots of places. Attended a wedding there. Wonderful venue. Eat in North End...yummy italian....Loved it. Will return.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2011

I went with my husband on business and stayed at the lovely
Fairmont Battery Wharf. It is in a very nice neighborhood in the North End With an excellent view of the harbor.
We were upgraded to a large room with a view and very comfortable amenities.
The bathroom was large and clean.
There was a very nice dining area for a continental breakfast and late afternoon complimentary snacks.
The staff was very acommidating.
I would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I loved the location of this hotel. We took the water taxi from Logan and it was like being in Venice. The taxi stops at the Fairmont's dock which is so convenient and help make up for the fact that getting to the water taxi isn't ( the bus comes infrequently and makes several stops before getting to the water taxi dock). The hotel is right on the water at the foot of the North End convenient to the aquarium, TD Banknorth, Faneuil Hall, the Science Museum and Mike's Pastry! I loved looking at the water from the room and walking along the docks in the morning.
On the negative side, the rooms are smallish with space saving features that don't work too well. For example, the bathrooms have sliding doors with no stops so they tend to slam noisily when opened. Similarly the glass-paneled toilet and shower doors also tended to clang shut. We had two rooms, with connecting doors, but the hotel did not have any way to keep the door opened and the desk staff appear flummoxed by our requested for door stops. We noticed the guests across the hall were using pillows to keep their doors open; we employed hangers. In general, the women who worked at the front desk were helpful with directions, but the men ranged from from clueless to rude. There was no actual certified concierge, which seems unacceptable in a hotel with these rates. I would also note that the rooms have very low ceilings and the king rooms do not have bathtubs, again surprising given the rates being charged. The air conditioner was quite loud and went on and off frequently which would bother a light sleeper. On the positive, there were plenty of electrical outlets.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank S D
Reviewed 21 July 2011

The hotel is beautiful and it's location is perfect. The rooms are gorgeous-granite counter tops and glass showers. The beds were so comfy. It's located right near fanuiel hall and a short drive for dinner in the north end. The staff is very accommodating and there is valet parking available- which is great for being in the city. Joe's Bar and Grill down the street is a great place to go to for a Sunday brunch- it was about $12 for mimosas and a generous meal.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends