“Loved it!!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
new hampshire
“Loved it!!”
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Beautiful hotel located right on Boston Harbor and in the historic North End. The hotel is in 4 different buildings, but once you turn onto the wharf, the building with the Fairmont flags is the main one where you check in. The room was exquisite. After-dinner drinks and dessert on the terrace (right on the water!) Saturday night were fantastic. Room service breakfast was expensive but timely and worth it. A five-minute walk to North Square, the heart of the Italian North End enhanced our get-away week-end experience. Cannot wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Ireland
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Beautiful hotel, great location, lovely staff but best of all there was a nespresso machine in the room!

Breakfast was not included with the room and although it was delicious it was quite pricey.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CJG97
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 August 2011

What a disappointment! Our room was not ready when we arrived; "the sheets were delivered late and we're trying to reach housekeeping". Really?? An hour and a half later of waiting in the lobby we were finally given our room; crumpled papers were on the floor of the bathroom. So much for housekeeping. Heading out for dinner ( thank goodness it was not to somewhere we had a reservation) we called for our car to be brought round. Forty-five (45!) minutes later the car arrived. This is not the sort of service one expects from a Fairmont. Perhaps one can suggest to the Saudi princes who have a majority ownership in this chain that they consider proper levels of staffing, you know, something like they have in their palaces..

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Leavemethehellalone
Montreal
Reviewed 5 August 2011

Took my wife here for her birthday on New Year's Eve. The room was beautiful. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom was nice. The shower was clean, but the rain forest shower head didn't flow as smoothly as the pictures on the web site make it seem. The location in the North End gave us plenty of options for good Italian dining. The concierge sent us to Limoncello....he told us to say he had sent us, but we didn't see any bonus from saying that. The concierge later told us that he eats for free, so I think we helped him more than he helped us, but the food was awesome. We went to the Atlantic Fish company the next night and it was incredible. We went to the Parker House for Boston Creme pie on New Year's Eve and were quite disappointed. The famous pie was actually quite ordinary...a little on the dry side. We took a city tour and visited the Aquarium. Overall it was an amazing weekend in Boston, and this hotel did not disappoint.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
White Plains, New York
Reviewed 5 August 2011

I was able to grab a last minute reduced price on a business trip to Boston and couldn't be happier with this choice. I was upgraded to a suite and had a nice view of the harbor. The room was amazing and the location for me was perfect. As always the Fairmont does not disappoint when it comes the decor, amenities and service. I will be back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Stayed for a few days in July with family. Hotel is set up differently than most as buildings are separate from each other. The building we stayed in was across from building with reception desk etc. Room was fairly clean and modern with nice bathroom and large flat screen TV. The beds are surrounded by a vinyl (or leather) rail which housekeeping forgot to clean. I did have to take a cloth and wipe something which had "spilled" and dried to the vinyl. Scrubbed off easily and did not bother mentioning it as did not want to make a big deal but gross just the same. We did find the room to be quite small. The only chair was the one that came with the desk. The air conditioner was located right beside the head of one of the two double beds. A bit noisy when trying to sleep. We did pay for a harbour view room which was nice. (we were on the side of the building at the end closest to the water.) The problem was that we were on the ground level and the surrounding shrubs and bushes had not been pruned and obstructed a fair bit of the view. Also, it was lovely to be able to open the windows but there were no screens on them. We soon had a few flies, so were not able to leave them open. I also noticed that the wallpaper in the corner of the bathroom was starting to peel. Although these may seem like minor details, they are all easy maintenance issues which should be addressed by a property charging these rates. Valet parking was nice but not cheap. You cannot access the parking garage without the valet so make sure you remove everything you may need from your vehicle. We only had breakfast at the hotel one morning. It was fine but expensive for the quality.
The best thing about this hotel, as others have mentioned, is the location. We were able to walk to most things. The dining options in the north end are wonderful. It is lovely to be near the water, especially on a hot summer day. Although there did not appear to be a dedicated concierge, any recommendations from staff were always very good. Would consider staying again next time we're in Boston.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
The Road
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Just stayed for one night. Was very happy with the location, great for strolling, and also with the fabulous water view. The room was very stylish and comfortable, though if I'd realized that it didn't have a bath, I might not have chosen it.

My only unhappiness was that although the front desk staff were very friendly and prompt at checking me in and out, they weren't at all helpful with two problems I had. First, I was unable to sign in on the hotel's wireless network, and when I followed the on-screen instruction to contact the front desk, I was told their engineer would come to my room to fix the problem. That would have been great if he had ever arrived, but after well over an hour I resorted to calling the service provider's own helpline, spending ten minutes on hold, and then finally getting them to fix the problem directly. Second, I had been told to book my water taxi to Logan airport through the front desk, which I did. Ten minutes after my scheduled departure time, however, when a water taxi finally showed up, he said that he didn't have a booking for me, and therefore couldn't take me. I phoned the front desk, to which I only got through after four minutes on hold, and was just vaguely told that someone would inquire about the problem. Fortunately, the next water taxi operator to show up didn't mind taking me, even though he also didn't have my booking either. Also fortunately, I had left a lot of time before my flight, so I wasn't too worried (though if someone had told me that I would then have to wait half-an-hour for the shuttle bus on the other side of the water, I would probably have just taken a cab to the airport and foregone what was othewise an enjoyable boat ride).

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo