“a long journey”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #37 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 October 2012

It was a long journey from northern Québec to Boston. Two tired travellers stepped out of their car in front of the hotel..... and then it was no longer a hotel stay but a kind of floating, dream-like experience. Smiling doormen, caring bell-hops, welcoming front desk agents. It simply flowed.
The door of the suite opened and we came into a world were everything was bright, clean, sharp, polished, elegant. We looked around, the quality of the appointments, the terrace, the harbour view: tiredness was gone replaced by a deep feeling of well-being. Luxury, well executed, will do this for you, once in a long while....

The food offerings were virtuoso performances, the service gracious, smiling, efficient. Impeccable delivery and above all the strong and rare feeling that the staff really cared about you.

Great stay!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront

Reviewed 21 October 2012

Nice location in the North End (though not the most convenient of locations), but property itself feels borderline Holiday Inn. Cheap looking design affectations pervade; shower looks like very cheap construction and rooms feel dated. Taxi's not easy to get. Pathetic value at the $390 corporate rate I was paying. Doubtful I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Globetrekker63
Reviewed 17 October 2012

First, I love the location. The Fairmont Battery Wharf is tucked away in Boston's north end and is on the water. There are some great north end restaurants just minutes away (Nico, Mama Maria's, Limoncello, Giacomo's, etc..) and the general atmosphere near the hotel is a quiet north end neighborhood. If you are looking for the hustle of the Copley area, or the location of the financial district, this is not your place. However, the financial district is only a short cab ride away and the Faneuil Hall area is about a ten minute walk

The hotel is a great location for the North End - but it is not really walking distance to great shopping or public transportation.

The hotel feels very new, everyone was very nice, and I like the waterfront location. For me, our room was nice, but didn't have a great view of the harbor. We were at the hotel for our anniversary and we mentioned it various time (checkin, call before arriving, etc..) and it would have been nice to receive some nice touch (even a few chocolates). Our room was spacious and clean - and the bathroom was huge. Unfortunately, the coffee maker was almost impossible to use and the TV required 2 remotes. I don't really want to read a manual just to change the TV channel.

While I wanted to love the hotel, I think I'll stick to Intercontinental near the waterfront and the various Kimpton properties (Marlowe in Cambridge and Nine Zero near Beacon Hill) when I'm in Boston. I might give the Fairmont Battery Wharf another try - but it just missed somewhere.

The jazz on Saturday night (in the lobby area) was a great treat! The NY Times Sunday edition delivered to our door was also nice.

For a nice breakfast (nothing fancy, but very good), we tried Theos Cozy Cafe which is about a 8 minute walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a full harbor view -
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We spent three nights here at the end of September, celebrating a 70th birthday. We got a very good price through a last minute booking place, and found a beautifully appointed and maintained room right next to Boston harbor. We took a water taxi to their dock. The place is fairly small, with condos on higher floors and just two floors of hotel in the building where we stayed - another has more, I understand. Our path to transit was through the North End, so we observed lots of the restaurant activity there which is surprising. Folks waiting on the sidewalk for a table was a new experience for me (and not one I joined in). We used the espresso machine and pastries from Bova (? or similar name, open 24 hours) to substitute for breakfast. The walk to the Provincetown ferry was easy. Part of the Freedom Walk is quite close. This was a very pleasant stay. I doubt we'll return but only because we have "done" Boston, and neither business nor family is likely to bring us back.
To clarify, the hotel is at water's edge - terrific views.

Room Tip: Coast Guard view was slightly more expensive, and very nice. Second floor is more private than firs...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2012

When we arrived, we were early and new that our room would probably not be ready, so we were prepared to have our baggage minded and return. We did not expect such a rude and snobby welcoming. I had booked a large room with a bay or city view and a king bed. On arrival the man at reception told me that because I had booked on line and not directly through them, that my booking was not accurate and instead we had the smallest room in the Hotel and no view and were told to go and come back when they called us. Whilst away I checked my details and returned at 3:00PM as we had not had a phone call. On return I requested that what I had booked and prepaid for was what we should be getting. After much deliberation we finally got the room that I had booked. The room was absolutely georgous! The bar was great! Walking distance to Little Italy and Quincy Market, but out of the way of crowds. They need to improve there reception staff that's for sure.

Room Tip: Try to select a room with a water view and at least a King size bed.
2  Thank craigeelinks
Jana_Baseel, General Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2012

Thank you so much for submitting your comments. I am sorry to hear that you were not happy with your check-in experience. I can assure you that our staff works very hard to provide exceptional service to our guests, and I apologize that we were unable to provide you with a satisfactory experience. Your comments will certainly be noted and addressed at our weekly training meeting. I am very glad that you were able to enjoy your experience once you were settled and that you were able to take advantage of our close proximity to the North End and Faneuil Hall. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope that you will stay with us again when in Boston.

Reviewed 11 October 2012 via mobile

This was one of my best hotel experiences in years. The hotel has a welcoming, warm and refined lobby; perfect service; exceptional rooms with a modern and well-appointed bathroom with so many detailed touches including an innovative closet design and a very comfortable shower. My room had a water view. I did not want to leave.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Drkastout
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Good standard hotel. Rooms were quite big and bathrooms nice. The A/c was a bit noise, but not a problem for us.

Free wifi if you join their Club (which is free).

We got the boat to the hotel from Boston Logan airport. It was $17 return per person. You get the bus from Airport to the ferry dock, then just pick up the next water taxi. Great views over the river. Took about 10mins. But the wait for the bus can be a little long (allow up to 30mins)