“Very nice stay”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #32 of 86 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Very quiet location in the North End. Small lobby with not many common areas. It's more like staying in a condo building (not in a bad way by any means, just that it doesn't have that 'hotel' ambiance to it)...we enjoyed our stay very much. The front desk recommended The Vittoria Cafe for a cappuccino in the morn (5 min walk) and I'd have to say it was one of the best I've ever had:). The only slight negative was with the hotels nice location on the water, there were no outdoor areas where you could relax with a beer or cocktail outside and enjoy the views except their restaurant but unless you were ordering food, you were not permitted.(to the outside area that is....the bar was indoors)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,636)

Reviewed 20 September 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel. Small but well equipped rooms, good beds and linens, quiet location no street noise. Nespresso machines in the rooms. My only complaint: filthy carpet in the room. Seems like it wouldnt be a big desl to clean them!

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank luckylynn
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I love this hotel and is usually my favorite 'go to spot' for when I am in Boston. It is especially nice in the summer to take the water taxi from the airport over to their dock. Its a fun and beautiful way to arrive. Its a great location if you like being on the water and in the North End. However, if you don't like walking, find a hotel closer to where you want to be or near a T station. With that said, I LOVE the location of this hotel because its in the North End. The hotel itself is also beautiful, VERY cozy and the beds are extremely comfy. The service/staff was wonderfully friendly and accommodating. The price/value of this place can be high but some deals can be found. I highly recommend it. I stayed here for the 4th of July and the 1812 anniversary celebration. We watched the tall ships come and go. I will return in October for a quick stay before heading north to NH and Maine. I look forward to

Room Tip: I have stayed 3 times and have enjoyed all rooms. I have nothing special to add.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank coloradosunshine
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

Booked a room thru Jetsetter and ended up with a great rate and a great room. I took a red eye from the west coast and was able to do an early check in around 1pm.

The guy at reception remembered my name from when I came earlier in the day. He was a little stiff but reasonably cordial. The room was on the first floor but had a view of the boats at the Coast Guard station next door. It was bright and clean with a huge closet and a rain shower.

I usually stay in Back Bay, so this was a nice change. Hanover street is only a 5 minute walk and the Harborwalk goes right around the hotel. It is a great location for a morning run and a little quieter than other neighborhoods.

The T is kind of a hike and there is not very much shopping nearby but lots of good restaurants are close and the view is just amazing.

Bed was comfortable, toiletries from Le Labo, even a bottle of water by the bed.

I will be back! For sure the nicest hotel I've stayed in in Boston.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We booked a room and took advantage of the Fairmont Gold package. At check in, we were told we received a $25 credit to use for food, beverage, spa, etc. This was nice.

Having lived in Boston many years ago I would say that the location is excellent. It isn't in the "heart" of the city but getting to the "heart" of the city is very easy. It is in the North End Italian section with some of the best restaurants in Boston! I liked being near the water as it seems a little more tranquil there for the city.... and yet so close to everything we wanted to do and explore. But you do have to walk a little bit. Haymarket T station is the closest T stop (green line and orange lines) and it is at least a 5 minute walk thru the North End to get there. I think there may have been a bus stop nearby but we had great weather so we walked. Very close walk to Quincy Market/Faneuil Hall/Government Center...probably just under 10 minutes.

Our room was very clean and nice. We did face the courtyard where the cars/guests drive in/out to reception desk, restaurant, etc. It was loud. Our kids had hard time falling asleep a few nights because people were outside talking and laughing under our window and you could hear them very clearly (windows were closed). So I would say avoid that side of the building(s). Note there are 4 buildings (spa in one, Fairmont Gold room in another building, main reception and restaurant in a different building and then the last building which we never went in).

Fairmont Gold package was totally worth it. You get breakfast in the morning, water/soda and fruit throughout the day, hor dourves (which really could be a light dinner), and dessert. The 2 hot items for breakfast were the same each of the 3 days we were there so that was a little disappointing but really it was very good overall. Staff were helpful.

We did use the bikes a couple of times and that was really nice. They have 2 adult bikes and 2 child size bikes. No locks for bikes though and there is a 2 hour time limit which makes sense so others can use them. We used them one afternoon and then the following morning. We brought our own helmets but they had some if you need them. There were board games as well.

So the glitch was that after having been out exploring the city for the afternoon, I got in line for a restaurant in the North End. My husband and kids went back to the hotel so kids could use bathroom. He said that when they arrived to the room, the door to our room was left open. Thinking back to what had happened that day, we had been biking that morning, returned to our room to relax for a few minutes when housekeeping knocked and we said that we would be leaving in the next 10 minutes. So we left (note our room was not made up yet) and then when my husband and kids returned to find the door open the room had been cleaned, etc. So it was definitely housekeeping or someone from the hotel that left our door open. I did alert someone from the hotel the next day (who apologized and immediately went to check on the door to see if it was functioning properly) and then I mentioned it at checkout. The staff member at checkout indicated that they were investigating what happened saying that "they were analyzing if a guest key or housekeeping key had been used to open the door"...I guess I sort of took that as her saying maybe I or my family left the door open. There is no way that we had left the door open and we are certain of that because we always double check. Plus when we left, the room had not been cleaned and then we returned to a clean room! Her comment about investigating the key usage, the fact that she did not apologize about the incidence when I mentioned it at checkout (another apology for such a significant issue isn't too much to ask for), and the fact there has been no follow up since has left a "sour taste in my mouth" and I am not so sure I would return to this hotel. Thankfully, nothing was missing from our room and no harm was done but I do think I should have received a call from the management even after their "investigation of the keys". It is inexcusable to leave a guest's room open/unlocked. We have stayed at Fairmont Hotels before and have been very happy so it is unfortunate this happened.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the courtyard of the hotel...meaning the area where guests drive i...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank ptravels
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We were in Boston for a one night layover and The Fairmont was a good choice. Location was new to me and a bit industrial but good location to walk to dinner in North End. I hear this area is coming on. Our room was in the main building on 2nd floor but close to the elevator so noisy. The hotel had a nice vibe in the bar and restaurant and was nicely appointed. The room was comfortable and the bathroom was a nice size with good amenities. I would stay here again when visiting Boston.

Room Tip: Dont pick a room close to elevators
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SmileyTraveler333
Reviewed 7 September 2013

The room was very nice and the location couldn't have been better. We were able to walk everywhere: Restaurants, Freedom Trail, USS Constitution Museum, "Old Ironsides". The hotel also had complimentary bicycles to ride! We would definitely stay here again!!

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the water. Very nice!
Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple