“It was fine but not quite the super treat we had envisaged”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #36 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
inverness
“It was fine but not quite the super treat we had envisaged”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

It was fine but not quite the super treat we had envisaged.
Plus points:
Nice room and smellies. Very good chamber maid.
Downside: description on how to get their by public transport misleading. It tells you to get the tube but doesnt mention hat its quite far from that tube station! No free wifi, instead you have to join their club and then get a refund, bit of hassle. Would have been nice to have found the hidden kettle earlier.

Green Features: Not so good except for the normal towel on floor signs. Refill bottles in the shower would be better.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Meconopsis65
Jennifer Z, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied by your recent stay. As you point out, WIFI is complimentary for members of Fairmont Presidents' Club, which is completely free to join - I do apologize if you were not informed of this prior to your stay. We also appreciate your feedback on our online directions, and I'd like to assure you that I will personally review this area for any opportunity for improvement.

Thank you, again, and I hope you'll consider giving us another chance to "wow" you on your next trip to Boston.

Area Manager, Internet Marketing

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
MA
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

After many hotel stays for the last 10 years, Fairmont Battery Wharf is now my favorite. The location is great, walking distance to everything and the service is terrific. Wish we had more time. I will now consider Fairmont in other cities.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Longmeadow, Massachusetts
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Each visit to the Battery Wharf gets better with every stay. I can't say enough about the staff and wish I had taken more names to recognize more people individually. Our stay actually started 2 days before we arrived. Ryan was terrific about getting us dinner reservations short notice. Gwen Clemens is incredible. We were running late for dinner reservations and she personally walked us to our room, helped us get settled, and to our reservation stress free. She made us feel special and gave us true VIP service. She was also there when we had to check out and took care of every detail with a smile. I hope the hotel knows how lucky they are to have a representative like her on the team. She is one in a million. The rest of the staff was also terrific. The team in the Gold building top notch. I wish I had their names to recognize them personally.
We came to Boston for Valentines Day with the kids and stayed in the Gold building and were upgraded to a suite. Well worth it! Our room was beautiful. The lounge was wonderful for a quick snack and drink. The chef came out with a special dessert that night for Valentines Day which we all enjoyed. The kids loved being able to grab a soda and quick breakfast. We cannot wait to come back. Incredible location on the water and in the North End. You will not be disappointed.

Room Tip: Stay in the Gold building. Well worth it.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Jennifer Z, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Hello Stacey,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay - especially that Ryan, Gwen, and the rest of my colleagues made such a wonderful impression. I have shared your post with our Director of Rooms to ensure that Ryan and Gwen are recognized for their dedication and great work. Thank you, again, for your comments and we hope to welcome you and your family back to Boston soon!

Miami Beach
Reviewed 16 February 2014

I was in Boston this week for business and was so glad that we chose this hotel. Although, it is much more than just a hotel. Dinner at Aragosta was truly fabulous and the service impeccable. The rooms were large, comfortable and had every amenity you could need. Staying in the Fairmont Gold Building really had its advantages. We were able to host a business cocktail meeting in the lounge with privacy, refreshments and great, friendly service. The breakfast in the morning was fabulous too. I worked out in the morning and the gym had fabulous equipment and lots of room. It was great for my business travel and I plan on coming back with my family. The location is ideal for leisure time too.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello, and thank you for your post. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, from dining at Aragosta and service in the lounge, to your comfortable guest room and our on-site fitness center. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your family on your next trip to Boston.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed here about a month ago for a conference with work.

The staff were great and even helped me in my time of need when I realised I had left my key to my suitcase lock at home (!) thanks to Mick the handyman for coming to my rescue!

I had a room looking out onto the water which was lovely. The rooms were large, bright and comfortable yet modern. It's just a couple of minutes walk to where the trolley tour starts which if great and a taxi from the airport doesn't take long at all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hello Hannah,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit, from your room overlooking the Boston Harbor to our private water taxi stand with easy access to Logan Airport. It's especially wonderful to hear that Mick and my colleagues were so helpful! Thank you, again, for your post and we hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Boston.

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed over night so as to catch an early flight at Logan Airport... What a great idea! The hotel is new, spotless, and comfortable with all the expected amenities. The staff is sincere in their willingness to make sure you are accommodated, especially Khalid, the bellman. We highly recommend getting the Fairmont Visa card for easy upgrades. Had a wonderful time in the Italian north end, which is just a one block walk. Kudos to the Fairmont

Room Tip: Join the President's Club and try to upgrade to a Gold Room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Hello Lisa,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us - in particular, that you found Khalid and the rest of my colleagues so sincere and accommodating! Thank you, again, for your feedback and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I had an extended stay as part of a business trip. The hotel was chosen for me by my company, but I had to pay for it myself. While the cost and amenities might not be quite so horrible for one or two nights, to stay for more than that is both expensive and pointless.

The staff are genuinely warm, welcoming, friendly, and go way out of their way to be helpful.

But the negatives far outweigh that. You pay more ($239/night minimum pre-tax), and receive way less than you would at Embassy Suites or Hilton or even cheaper brands of hotel. In no particular order, the negatives are:

1. Virtually nothing is complementary. There is complementary hot cider, but no continental breakfast, free cookies, happy hour deals, or other tidbits. In-room internet, if you are not a Fairmont club member, costs $15.95/day. Club membership is free, but you still have to accept charges that will be taken off of your account later. Each time you log on to a new 24 hour session, you have to put in your name and room number and accept a new charge. You can't just log in once and then enjoy the convenience of being able to open and close your browser and surf right away from then on. Valet parking is convenient and your only real option, but costs $45/day ($10 more than it is if you stay at the airport). Laundry service costs about $8 per pair of underwear.

2. The business center is a LIE. It is not run by the hotel. A third-party services the computer, fax, and printer. That third-party charges you $5 for 10 minutes of internet access, $.75 for a BW print, and $2 for a fax. You have to swipe your credit card to operate any of the technology. The staff at the front desk said they would print or fax anything for me for free. They said they "tell people not to use the business center," but nobody told me that upon check-in. I only found out about it because my fax failed to send and I had to get the front desk to send it for me.

3. Rooms have mini-fridges, but those are full of mini-bar items. It costs $25 to have those items removed to make room for your own items. If you take out the beers yourself, they will charge you as if you had drunk them. You can take out everything else yourself for free, but it's a huge pain in the butt to take those items and organize the fridge in such away as to leave room for the beers as well as your items. (Since I was staying for 2 weeks, all I wanted was room to store a small carton of milk and any leftovers from dinner - one small box of leftovers and 1 miniature carton of milk hardly fit in the fridge.)

4. There was no microwave in the room. Yes, you can make hot water for instant oatmeal with the coffee pot, but you can't reheat your leftovers.

5. The walls must be thin, because I could hear my neighbors clearly. It was incredibly annoying to hear the neighbor's TV at 12am, to hear them slamming the doors to their closet and mini bar, etc. Whenever anybody walked by my room talking, I could hear them as clearly as if they were in the room with me. I would expect a luxury hotel to be much quieter.

6. The sheets and comforters had dark stains on them, like blood or soy sauce. The beds were made in such a way that the stains were tucked in, so I didn't see them until I got into bed. It's gross looking and again, I expect more from a luxury hotel. They only wash the sheets, not the comforters.

Overall this hotel is incredibly overpriced. You could pay just as much and get more for your money at some other ritzy hotel, or you could pay half as much and STILL get more for your money at a more blue collar hotel. Even if this place is in your normal price range, I don't know why you'd waste your money on it. Paying more is supposed to buy better quality, right? Not at the Fairmont.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Jennifer Z, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this review, 7 February 2014
Hello Raphaela,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. While I’m thrilled that you found my colleagues “genuinely warm, welcoming, and friendly,” I’m disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your stay overall and I’d like to take this opportunity to personally address some of your concerns.

Complimentary breakfast and hors d’ouevres are available to guests who book in our private Fairmont Gold building. You will also find a great variety of food and drink specials at our hotel restaurant, Aragosta Bar + Bistro, and Battery Lounge, located in the lobby. I do apologize if this information was not communicated to you during your stay.

We are currently in the process of reviewing our wireless internet infrastructure, so we appreciate your suggestions on how we can improve this. You are also correct in pointing out that members of Fairmont Presidents’ Club (which is completely free to join) receive complimentary internet.

I’d like to assure you that we take a great deal of pride and care in our guestrooms – to hear that we missed the mark is very disappointing. I’ve shared your post with our Director of Rooms and Executive Housekeeper in order to facilitate appropriate internal follow-up. Thank you, again, for sharing your comments with us.