“Fourth of July”

Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront
Ranked #33 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We visited Fairmont Battery Wharf for the Fourth of July weekend. Actually, the visit began before we walked into the lobby. The hotel contacted me prior to my arrival to ask for an approximate arrival time, which I supplied. The day before I arrived, I was able to pre-check in online. It was very nice to be able to communicate with someone at the hotel (it was my first time driving there and was not sure where the hotel was). My GPS was great (I also used Trip-Tik from AAA) and was able to find the hotel, nestled just outside of the main drag of the North End of Boston. The hotel was right on the waterfront with a lovely walkway along the water.

We were able to secure a special "Friends and family" rate, so I couldn't complain too much about the room. It was about 350 sq. ft in size with a nice, large, king sized bed with a wonderflully comfortable mattress. The spa shower was also wonderful, but it was a bit weird not seeing a bathtub. Nevertheless, the bathroom was spacious. Loved the Nespresso coffee machine in the room. We made espressos every morning! A tip to remember, sign up for the President's Club - it allows access to complimentary Wi-Fi and morning newspapers.

Parking in Boston is notoriously expensive (with the Fairmont Battery Wharf no exception). I figured that since I saved on the room, I could splurge on the parking. Parking, according to the email I received from the hotel was $42/night. Ouch! Ok, I'll deal with it. When I reviewed my bill towards the end of the stay, I was charged $45/night! Excuse me??? I called the front desk and explained the situation to Norma, who told me if I could send them a copy of the email, an adjustment to my final bill would be made. I did, (thanks to the free Wi-Fi) and it was. Thank you, Norma!

We did not eat any meals at the hotel because there were so many other restaurant options within walking distance to the hotel. Yes, we even walked around during Hurricane Arthur (complimentary umbrellas supplied by the hotel, thank you very much).

All in all, I highly recommend the Fairmont Battery Wharf hotel as a base for exploring the Boston Harbor Waterfront and North End. It's a beautiful hotel with a staff that goes out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

Room Tip: If you choose "Fairmont Gold", the rooms are slightly larger and are in a separate buildin...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank happytravels49
Jennifer Z, Manager at Battery Wharf Hotel, Boston Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your Fourth of July visit, in spite of the unusual weather! We appreciate your feedback and I look forward to sharing your comments with the team. Thank you, again.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This Hotel lives up to the description. The staff were excellent and met all requests with a can do positive attidue and a smile.
The facilities were of the top order and we had no complaints.
The location -whilst a little out of the centre - makes up for it by the views of the harbour and being situated on the Harbour walk.
You can get to the airport by water taxi straight form the hotel

If in Boston we would certainly stay there again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Highly recommend the Fairmont Battery Wharf! My husband and I stay there a few times a year when visiting our daughter. Location is wonderful....right on the water located in the North End...walk to everything!!! Hotel staff is excellent, hotel is very clean and pretty, lots of amenities!! The hotel and staff are wonderful!!!

1  Thank Claire P

Hello Claire,
Thank you for your post. I'm thrilled to hear that we've become your go-to home base when visiting your daughter in Boston! We appreciate your comments and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Friendly and helpful staff. Gold building with food was well worth it. Left my iPad in a room and it was picked up by maid and put in a locked drawer for me. Security/management was great in helping me locate it at midnight!
Hotel is practically across the street from Hanover St in the north end. Great location.

Hello Jennifer,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that my colleagues were so helpful in securing your forgotten iPad! We appreciate your feedback and hope to welcome you back to Boston soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

First trip to Boston and absolutely loved the location, hotel and neighborhood! Easy walking to almost everything we wanted to do. Historic, shopping, harbor, great food near by. Loved strolling the neighborhoods and returning to our nice room!

Reviewed 14 July 2014

On arrival, we were not offered baggage service to our room. it was difficult to get fresh towels and we ran out of toilet paper. The air conditioning was very noisy. There a few attractions near this hotel.

1  Thank Gregg H

Hello Gregg,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor. I'm disappointed to hear that you were not pleased with your recent stay. We appreciate your comments and I'd like to assure you that your post has been shared with our Director of Rooms in order to facilitate further review. Thank you, again.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I booked a last minute overnight stay at this property through Priceline so we weren't expecting any preferential treatment. We had a basic queen room on the second floor overlooking the valet/entrance of the hotel. The room was a little on the small side, but very functional. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet which is most important for us!
Every staff member, from bellhop to check in rep, were friendly and always asked if there was anything we needed!
This hotel is located in the North End area and a short walk to some great Italian eateries and bakeries! Also, an easy walk to Faneuil Hall/Marketplace and the Aquarium area. We also walked to the Boston Tea Party ships/museum. The Water Taxi is located right by the hotel...it was a fun and easy way to return to the airport!
Enjoyed our quick, last minute stay and look forward to staying at the Fairmont again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Hello,
Thank you for your feedback. I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay, from our location on the North End waterfront to our friendly and helpful staff. We appreciate your comments and hope to welcome you back again soon.