“Fantastic Food with Funky Atmosphere”
Review of Sportello

Sportello
Reserve with OpenTable
Sportello is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 3,585 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Seaport District / South Boston Waterfront
Cross street: A Street
Transit: For those taking public transportation, we are a short walk from South Station.
Reviewed 22 June 2018

Located over the Seaport District. We were promptly seated with our reservation time of 7. However, this was the first surprise. We were sitting at a counter with the tables reserved for parties of 4. It is a diner feel with the kitchen prep right there. It is very light with white and stainless steel. I wouldn't recommend if you have a bad back and had to sit at counter.

Our meal was a delight. Great selection of apps, entrees, and desserts along with a wine list catered to Italian. I didn't know many of the wines on list but told the server what we were looking for and he made a recommendation. It was perfect for our palate. Food and service throughout was great. Had the soft shell crab and octopus carpaccio for apps, rabbit dish with pasta and dorado while fish entree. Had cannolli and gelato for dessert. We really enjoyed the entire meal and would go back. We didn't find it expensive as entire meal including wine was 150.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

very basic, spotty service, feels more like a canteen. Food is ok. Nothing to go back to. Expensive for the experience you get.

Reviewed 16 May 2018

I don't know where to start. Sportello is just simply Devine. While I live in Hoboken, and frequent many restaurants in NYC, I SO look forward to my business trips to Boston simply so I can dine here. I come for lunch and dinner sometimes on the same day!! The food and service, is as I say above, amazaballs. You must try the Rabbit pasta as well as the Bolognese. I even buy it in quart sizes to take back home with me. The first time I did it, I was worried that security wasn't going to let me take it through (was thinking it was would count as a liquid, but it doesn't phew). I was so worried, I didn't eat before I travelled just in case they told me I couldn't take it. I would have sat there and ate the whole thing before even thinking about handing it over. They did pull it out of my bag for an extra scan because they said it was so "dense". And it sure is. Packed with slowly cooked meats, fresh tomato sauce and so much flavor. And the service. Well, not sure where to start there either. Very attentive and friendly. Ethan is my favorite. The first time I came into Sportello, I knew nothing about the Chef/Owner (Barbara Lynch), the wine Director (Cat), etc. but he told me all about the history, the other restaurants, and all the love that goes into every bite and sip. Cat actually seeks out small vineyards and the quality of the list shows it. We got talking about one wine (Castiglion del Bosco) that had me swimming in warmth remembering my husband and my visit there. And that, is exactly, what she goes for. Wines that have meaning.

Reviewed 4 May 2018

This was a meal and a half. Great food, great service, great everything. Four of us sat and everyone said wow a few times. Our server Sara G, was excellent and very knowledgeable about the food and what was what. The drinks were also excellent and a decent choice.
This was one of four restaurants we did that week in Boston (all business meals) and the best of all of them.

Reviewed 22 April 2018 via mobile

Three of us went in for a late lunch. We all had a pasta meal. They were priced 24 and 29 dollars each. When they came out we all looked at each other. They looked were the size of a small appetizer. Normally that would not bother us if they were outstanding, but they were merely adequate. It is a unique setting and the wait staff was good. Unfortunately that could not make up for the meals.