“Very beautiful. I would like to live here.”
Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #68 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I stayed just one night when I flew to Boston to help my son move out after his first year at Northeastern. The price is excellent when everything else in the area was $300 midweek. The buildings were beautiful and the location was perfect - near Northeastern for me but also near the Prudential Center for any visitor. The apartment was large and spacious with an updated kitchen and bath. The neighborhood was perfect on a quiet street just off the main street. ( St. Botolph) The windows were very old and I'm not sure how well they would do keeping out a draft but for April they were perfect and I opened them to get some fresh air. I loved my stay here and will be staying here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 23 April 2013

Second stay at Copley House. Great location and Newton St. location has had a remodel. Our studio was clean and very nice. Blooming trees out the window, nice room with small kitchen and very nice bathroom. Staff were friendly and accommodating. Not fancy, but simple with character. Will be staying there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barryr
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Copley house is in a superb location. It's right near a subway station, which is only 2 spots to all the best tourism sites. The room we stayed in had a very homey feel, with all the basic essentials. There was definite room for improvement in decor and kitchen supplies but perfectly adequate.
Our only problem we had occurred at 4am when the above apartment resident decided to take a shower which leaked through our bedroom light fitting and straight onto our bed! We were forced to find a bucket and sleep on the floor. When we told management they were apologetic and offered us a night's refund for our troubles. I would consider staying here again purely for its location alone!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lauren R
Reviewed 3 March 2013

First the good: the location is excellent, the price is reasonable and the staff were always very nice. The bad: First, the shower door was broken, fell off as I was stepping into the shower. I reported it, the maid said "Oh yes, the manager knows about that," the manager said it would be fixed - but that night I found both doors taken off and propped up in the bathroom. It was fixed the following day. Second: the room was COLD. I kept raising the temp on the thermostat, nothing got better. Only two extra blankets, two of our party ended up sleeping in their coats. The next morning - the staff informed me that they controlled the temperature in the office (unmanned at night), the room thermostat was nonfunctional, but they would increase the temp for us - and they did so. Third: security - our old-fashioned keys opened both the front building door and our room door. I can only think that all the doors are keyed the same as the front door, meaning anyone staying there can access all the rooms. I would not recommend staying here.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank JMC749
BostonUser, General Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2013

I am sorry to hear that the guest's experience was less than perfect at Copley House. We did attempt to address the issues raised as quickly as possible but apologize if this was not done to the guest's satisfaction.

However, I think it is very important to correct one point in the review that is false and misleading: Our guests' keys DO NOT open the doors of all other apartments, only their assigned apartment and the front door. We take our guests' safety very seriously and would never use such an irresponsible and unsafe system.

We work hard to be extremely responsive to our guests and are constantly striving to improve their experience at Copley House.

Reviewed 9 December 2012

Once upon a time this was a really nice and friendly place that one could rely on for no-frills, basic clean and relatively comfortable accommodation, close to the Hynes convention centre. Its location has not changed. It still has some nice apartments, but now twice in a row I arrived, after an overnight flight, to find myself arguing with a receptionist, who clearly was not the right address for the fact that what we asked for and wwere promised (by phone), was not available or only after a long argument and wait. Twice also we got what was a poorly kept place, one with no functioning toilet, another time, not really with a separate bedroom. Admittedly , the last time, after protesting, we got a partial refund for the night in the place with malfunctioning toilet and were moved to a nicer place, but not the address we were promised. Unfortunately, there, sleeping on the sofa was a challenge, because its mattress was in such poor condition that only in a rather contorted way one could avoid lying on the metal bars. Requests to change the mattress were politely answered that sure, we will do so, but it was never done, something one then discovers at 10 p.m. after a long day at the meeting. At USD 250/night this is not anymore the bargain it was several years ago and one would expect to be able to get what one asks for and a better maintained place.
The difference between this and the more moderately priced among the normal conference hotels is not anymore worth the hassle, unless something changes so as to make sure one gets what one pays for.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank vughtenaar
Reviewed 21 November 2012

We knew this was an apartment-type place, but had no idea how strange this stay would be. When my boss arrived at 10:30pm, there was a note on the door to call for service. Someone came down the sidewalk in sweats and flip-flops and unlocked the door and gave him the key, telling him his room was down in the basement. Someone was already in that room, so my boss looked at the key and went upstairs to find his actual room...four flights up with no elevator. At one AM he was awakened when the room's door burst open and a man was standing there. He turned and left, but my boss didn't get much more sleep that night! Needless to say, he took his luggage with him that morning and I had to call to report the incident and cancel his next night's stay. They were kind enough to not charge him for that night's stay when they FINALLY discovered that another guest had indeed received the same room key as he did. But I would NOT recommend this hotel for a couple reasons...1) no 24 hour attendant/front desk if there are issues, 2) there are actually FOUR properties...we're lucky he was able to stay in the main property instead of getting shipped down the street a few blocks. If you know what you're getting into, I'm sure it's a quaint place to stay, but what a terrible surprise we had at Copley House!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Malyssa910
Reviewed 25 October 2012

Actually it's the fourth time I stay at the Copley House. It has been awesome in the past years, but now that they have renovated the bathrooms and the floor, it became better. I always feel at home, cause I always stay at a studio, so, I have the living-room with a plasma TV, a good sofa and a small kitchen (complete, even the dishsoap I had no need to buy, only the groceries, of course). The bedroom is separated, so, the person who stays in the living-room (that was my case) can watch tv without disturbing the one who sleeps in the bedroom. Copley House is perfect inclusive to a long stay. No luxury, but comfort. No restaurant and breakfast, but a good kitchen and a lot of good places in the region. Is very well located, near Copley Place, Prudential Mall, subway, Public Garden, Boston Common, etc. The only "BUT" is the mattress on the sofa: Please people from Copley: change them fast! Oh almost forgot to tell: people in the office is gentle and kind. I will always recommend Copley House.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends