“Wonderful place to stay!!!”
Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 11 June 2008

My friends and I had a wonderful stay at the Copley House. We had a beautiful view that overlooked the Copley area. We are in walking distance (5 min) to the Prudential Center, which has many fine shops and restaurants. The staff was lovely.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with friends
There are newer reviews for Copley House

Reviewed 11 June 2008

We were in town for 2 graduations and stayed at The Copley House because everything else was booked up! This was a true case of Serendipity as it ended up being such a great value for the price. Sure it's not the Ritz-Carlton, but the room was adequate and clean and the location can't be beat! You are right in the center of it all, a 5 minute walk from Boston's eponymous Newbury Street, a 10 minute walk to Boston Common and a 2 minute walk to the hip South End with great restaurants and shops (Jazz lovers check out the Beehive!). The room offers a small kitchen area, private bath and Cable and Internet. I would liken it to staying at a friends apartment. The staff is quite accommodating and helpful and they are young people who know what's up in the area. If you're looking to stay in the heart of it all without breaking the bank then this is the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 May 2008

From the previous reviews, it seems like rooms at Copley House can be very hit or miss, but I was quite pleased with my room at the property. I booked a medium studio (Room 104 at 215 W. Newton) not knowing exactly what to expect, but was pleasantly surprised to find a larger than average room with a new flat screen TV. The kitchen was fully stocked with utensils and cookware and had pretty much anything you would need to cook your own meals (minus the food, of course). The bathroom was clean and stocked with towels, and the rest of the room was clean as well.

Now for the drawbacks...the bed certainly wasn't the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in, but it didn't negatively affect my sleeping habits. The room I stayed in also faced the street, so any street noise could be heard, but it wasn't any louder than average. The hallway was also slightly dingy, and one minor complaint was that the blinds didn't reach all the way to the bottom of the window sill, as the room had windows that were quite tall.

Other than that, I would definitely stay at Copley House again and recommend it to anyone needing a place to stay in Boston. The location is very hard to beat, especially for the price, as it is a few short blocks to all the shopping and the T at Prudential Center. And for a New Yorker like me who is used to walking, it's a short walk to Newbury Street and many other sites in the city.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We've just come back home (in Montreal, Canada) from a three-night stay at Copley House, in Boston.

This place is in a very nice sector of Boston, close to public transportation and all the major hotels and the business area.

First of all, you should know that the pictures on the Copley House website are pretty misleading. Actually, they’re very misleading! We – my wife and two kids – had booked a one-room unit, which is supposed to be the most luxurious one they have. Ouch! If you don’t mind the missing paint on the walls, the moldy smell, the dirty carpets, the so-so beds and sofa beds, and the slimy showers (just to name a few “features”), go ahead and ask for unit 100 in the basement of the 239 West Newton Street building... right next to the laundry room!!

That being said, when we saw our unit, we asked to be moved and were given two separate rooms for the first night (11 & 14-year-old kids weren't too happy about sleeping in a different room that their parents, but it was better that being in the basement...), we then had to go back to our smelly basement on the second night, and we were given a nice one-bedroom unit for our third and last night. That’s a lot of moving around for such a short trip! We were in Boston with a few other people who stayed in another building (first floor of St. Stephen Street building), and their rooms were fine.

I think I’d go back to the Copley House because of its affordable prices and its tremendous location, but I would ask for specific rooms, i.e. rooms 104 (which has been completely renovated and which is very nice) and room 109 (a one-bedroom unit) in the 239 West Newton Street building. I would also stay away from room 103 (and 100 of course) in this same building.

While I wasn’t too impressed with the Copley House, I must say that the staff were all VERY helpful, understanding and accommodating. I really appreciate what they did to make our stay more enjoyable. Finally, they gave me a substantial rebate, which was also greatly appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank LAVIO
BostonUser, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2009

The room 100 has been completely renovated early this year. I am sorry that you've come before it has been done.

Reviewed 21 April 2008

I just recently spent 4 nights at Copley House. While the location is great and at first look the room with kitchenette was cute, it turned out that only half the lights worked, the covers over the radiators fell off, there was paint missing on a large section of the bathroom wall and best of all, the sink stopper in the bathroom was stuck making the sink unusable. Two days and three complaints later, someone finally fixed it. At $200 a night that is outrageously bad service. When I got back home, I realized that they had double charged the room to my credit card. One e-mail, two phone calls and three days later they are supposedly going to take it off later today. I believe that when I see it...

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 February 2008

We have used Copley House for years to house business colleagues for extended stays--many of them come back for just a couple nights and insist on staying there again! They have several apartment buildings located in Boston's vibrant South End, close to public transportation, shopping, restaurants, and sites. Each unit has a kitchenette, a must for those in the city for several weeks at a time. The owners are super friendly and always available to help out. Whenever I drop someone off, I wish I could live there all the time!

• Stayed: June 2007
Reviewed 14 December 2007

Congratulations to Mrs. Ritza [-] and all the staff! This was the third time I have stayed at Copley House, but it was so far the best stay I had! A cozy studio, with stove, microwave, a mini-kitchen, a good tv set, good heating (it was freezing outside !), good shower. I have NOTHING, absolute NOTHING to complain about the hotel or about my stay. On the contrary, everybody was very kind, professional and gentle. No doubt I will stay there on my next visit to Boston. Oh! I forgot! Copley House is so near the best places to visit! Minute walking to Prudential Mall, Boyston Street, Newbury Street, etc... Minute walking also to metro station. Wonderful city, wonderful Copley House! I felt at home.

Stayed: December 2007