“Cute Place but Too Much Noise”
Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #69 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Booking online was easy. It was difficult to get someone on the phone during work hours, kept getting the automated greeting. This was our first time to stay here based on reviews and affordability. We (daughter & I) took the red eye flight to visit colleges and so did not get any sleep the whole day. Came to Copley in the evening. We didn't realize that there are separate buildings...actually apartments which they rent out to. We were driven to another apt about 3-4 minute drive. Good thing we packed light since there are no elevators and we had to go up two flights of stairs. There seemed to be other residents who stayed in the building. When we stepped in the front entrance we smelled home cooked fried chicken. Our apt was really cozy, comfortable, modern, clean and had all the amenities for an apt (kitchen, dishwasher, refrigerator, cook top, plates, utensils, etc but no washer/dryer which we didn't need any way). Everything was great in terms of location (Whole Foods around the corner). However, I had a difficult time sleeping. I heard so many people walking around outside late at night and early morning shouting, laughing, and people walking up/down the main stair case and people up stairs walking around. I would have rated it a little lower because of the noise but the receptionist was very nice and accommodating. I don't recall if there were double pane windows but it didn't seem like it since we heard people talking outside even when they weren't shouting. Replacing the windows to double pain would help alleviate the noise outside. The noise inside (footsteps from stairs and walking upstairs) happened about 3x but were loud enough to prevent me from sleeping.

Room Tip: Travel light since there are no elevators, bring ear plugs and eye covers esp if you're a light...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
CopleyHouseBoston, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! I'm so pleased you found your room comfortable, but I am very sorry to hear you had trouble sleeping. Making sure our guests are well rested is a top priority of ours, and I'm disappointed to hear we weren't able to address this problem during your stay. Because of our location in such a popular part of the city there is often a lot of activity outside, especially during the warmer months. Your feedback about the double pane windows is very helpful, and we'll definitely look into this possibility. We hope you'll consider staying with us again in the future! We are always happy to accommodate any requests, so feel free to let us know next time if there's anything we can do to make you more comfortable.

There are newer reviews for Copley House

Reviewed 26 March 2014

Stayed at the Copley House St. Patrick's Day weekend. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating even before we left. We were having a family reunion so rented 2 small apartments which was great since we could put the younger of our group on the pullouts. The price was the same as a hotel room and we got so much more space. It's close to the T which is very easy to use. 7-11, Charles deli and a small grocery store nearby to stock up on breakfast items and snacks which cuts back on costs.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
CopleyHouseBoston, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

We're very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, Kathy. We do our best to provide a more homey and affordable alternative to hotels, and it's so great to know you felt well taken care of. If there's anything we can do to make your next stay even better, don't hesitate to reach out with your suggestions. We'd welcome you and your family back anytime! Best wishes, Christian - General Manager

Reviewed 25 March 2014

I saw all the reviews, and all the pictures, and expected a stay much better than it was. My friend and I found this place and were super excited to find a nice place for our vacation with me and my friends, for a good price. When we got there, the room was not nearly the size it made it seem. Barely fit the criteria for "one bedroom apartment" seeing as I've seen studio apartments bigger than that. That was after we had to carry all our bags a few blocks, without them even offering, which seems like something a hotel would offer with having different buildings. Me and my friend both have disabilities which made this walk hard for this. Second, the heating was broken for most of the trip, I guess, and the room was always either way too cold, or way too hot.

We had requested 2-3 extra blankets, and got one. We had also put out a sign for them to do our housekeeping, and all they did was give us new towels, which were dirty, didn't change the blankets, or sheets, or anything. Didn't even make the bed. And then the second day, they DID change our blankets, but again, it was dirty.

The second night we stayed, I barely got any sleep because they were doing construction all day and all night long in another room. Which was awesome, seeing as I had to get up early the next morning for an event.

The bed, was pretty comfy, which was a plus. And we had a really nice balcony with a pretty good view. Probably the only pros of the whole hotel. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 42cassiet
CopleyHouseBoston, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

I'm very disappointed to hear your stay with us fell short of expectations, Cassie. While I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed the bed and balcony, it seems like several things went wrong during your stay, and I regret that our staff did not take better care to address these problems. Since we're not a traditional hotel, our apartment-style rooms vary greatly in size. We try to be upfront about this, but I'm sorry if we weren't clear enough. If you had let us know about the issues with the heater, housekeeping, and renovations, we would've been happy to make accommodations to make your stay more comfortable. I sincerely apologize that no one offered to help you carry your bags. I absolutely agree that you should be able to count on that, and I'll certainly be bringing your comments to our staff. Your feedback is always appreciated, so thank you for taking the time to share your concerns. We would welcome you back for another stay anytime, and I'm confident that with your input we'll be able to show you the kind of hospitality you expect and deserve.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

The room was quaint, clean and I was given plenty of towels. The room was also thankfully equipped with a space heater (I tend to get cold) and the bed was very comfortable.
Check in was quick and easy - the staff was friendly. The price was very reasonable and I would recommend staying here. I would stay here again as well!
Great!

Room Tip: The apt. I was given was great - located at 240 Newton Street.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank JudyinBoston
CopleyHouseBoston, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Thank you Judy! I'm delighted that from our comfortable beds to our friendly and efficient service, you enjoyed a wonderful stay with us. I appreciate you recommending us on TripAdvisor, and hope to see you back again soon.

All the best,

Reviewed 1 March 2014

I stayed in a one room apartment at Copley House for 2 nights. It was perfect for us (me and two teens) for a quick trip to Boston for museums and shopping. The staff was friendly and helpful; we had housekeeping service (beds made, towels changed) which I wasn't expecting. Being one and half blocks from the Prudential Center was ideal for shopping and the subway, which we used a lot on our trip. I will definitely stay here again...great price for a central location on a quiet side street.

Room Tip: I asked to not be in the basement (based on previous reviews) and they accommodated my request.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Vermonter2014
CopleyHouseBoston, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2014

I'm so happy to hear you had such a great stay in Boston. Thanks for choosing us, and for writing up this wonderful review after the fact. Hopefully you had a nice weekend, and I hope we'll see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I had to make a last minute reservation and found this catch here which so luckily was available for the time that I needed to stay AND was super affordable. You get what you pay for is all I have to say because it was worth every penny and I would definitely spend a little more to stay here again where I was comfortable and in a great location. Thank you Copley House, see ya next time!

Room Tip: I stayed in the one bedroom which was very spacious and adorable.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
CopleyHouseBoston, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Thanks for staying with us, Angela! I'm so happy to hear you had a great time in Boston. We'll see you soon.

Have a great weekend,

Reviewed 24 February 2014

First and foremost we rate accommodations based on: 1) is everything clean, 2) is the bed comfortable, and 3) is the staff helpful. The Copley House rates excellent on these basic criteria. We stayed in the townhouse at 239 W. Newton St so I cannot speak for any of their other 3 locations. Since these units are in very old buildings dating from perhaps the late 1800's of course many modifications have been made over the years. Our 1 bedroom suite was made by building a wall to separate the bedroom from the sitting area and kitchenette and putting in a very nice new bathroom with a walk-in shower. There is a shortage of closet space in this unit
and the bedroom is a little cramped but for the price, so what!

The location at 239 West Newton St is fantastic. It is less than 2 blocks to Huntington Ave and the Shops at Prudential Place, the Mall at Copley Place and a subway stop. This south end neighborhood is vibrant and has a beautiful walking trail along what was once a railroad right of way and the site of proposed Southwest Expressway to downtown Boston. When the project cancelled in the mid 1970's after many properties had already been razed, this blighted area became gentrified and resurrected into one of the best areas to live in Boston. My wife and I were both college students in Boston in the late sixties/early seventies and remember what this area was like back then.

Room Tip: When booking, request a room at 239 West Newton St . It has the best location and I do not know...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
CopleyHouseBoston, Manager at Copley House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 February 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us, and for writing up such an amazing review after the fact. We too have been delighted with all the work that's been done in the South End over the past few decades. I enjoyed hearing from you about what the area was like in those days. As I mentioned, Copley House has been around the neighborhood for a long time and has seen many of the changes you mention!

Have a great week,