“Some good, some bad, and the ugly...won't go again”
Review of Copley House

Copley House
Ranked #69 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Holland, Michigan
“Some good, some bad, and the ugly...won't go again”
Reviewed 8 July 2010

The good: Nice quiet neighborhood, a welcome respite from traveling and staying and chain hotels, decent price for a week, the small suite provided adequate room, although it was a room, not a suite. Outfitted with full kitchen counter, microwave and refrigerator although we did not really use that. Bed was comfortable, but pillows...not so much. I enjoyed the week, although probably would not go back.

The bad: carpet looked like it had not been cleaned in a long time, stains on the carpet, covers for the heating baseboards were falling off, peeling paint in the bathroom, under the sink cabinet had not been cleaned in a long time, one light in the ceiling was out, no internet, window air conditioner could not really keep up with the heat.

The ugly: We were given two keys on arrival. They keys are the old fashioned kind with the plastic fob that has the name of the hotel/apartment, room number and phone on it. The same key let us into the building and into our room. There was only one lock on the room and no chain lock. We had one of the keys stolen. I called the desk clerk and asked to have the lock chained. He said probably no one would use the key. i agree although, if someone did use it, the consequences could be severe. After several minutes of disagreeing with me, he said he would send maintenance out to change the lock within an hour. No one ever came. The next morning, the desk clerk told my wife they had no intention of changing the lock unless I made a nuisance of myself. In short, the clerk lied to me. Security is very poor. I could have easily made a copy of my key and go back the next week and gain entrance when someone else had rented it.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
United States
Reviewed 6 July 2010

My experience was great and I would return! Iv been to some of the nicest resorts and I wasnt scared of this place like others stated. yes it is out dated but its an old historical building My husband and I enjoyed the charm and got to see what it was like to live in Boston! They seemed to be updating because our bathroom was brand new/beautiful. they even saved us a parking place! My opinion snobs don't stay here but great price location clean for all others!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2010

I thought I'd save get out of the conference center mall and enjoy nearby Back Bay. I picked the wrong hotel. Dirty, stained rugs. Finish worn off the wood furniture, so my clothes snagged and got splinters. No staff on the scene in the evening or morning when i was coming or going. Best things: proximity to nice walking path, and good A.C.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Boston hotels

Ahmedabad, India
Reviewed 16 June 2010

It a great location 2 mins walk from Prudential center and copley place. Stay was ok, i would say its a very average place. Its true what you pay is what you get, but for this price i would recommend to stay at such a location.

Salisbury, Maryland
Reviewed 1 June 2010

The room was fine - clean enough, with a small-but-new television and a decent air conditioner. But my reservation was completely mishandled, and the service we received in trying to straighten it out left plenty to be desired. I was traveling with two colleagues; we were all arriving at different times, but were all on the same reservation, which apparently completely disappeared. When my boss checked in, he was able to straighten it out -- he thought. But when I showed up hours later, they a) had no record of him checking in, and then b) gave me a key to his room. I only discovered this because I had to walk three blocks to my building and met him on the street on the way there. They put me in a different building for the night and then made me change rooms the next day. Since I was in town for a convention, I didn't get back until midnight, at which point I had to phone several times to find someone who would let me in.

toronto
Reviewed 25 May 2010

The reviews on trip advisor had me freaked out. However I was traveling in a group and most of them were med students who couldn't afford the $400 hotel rooms (may is a busy month in bean town with graduations etc and everything was booked up months ago) so we decided on copley house as they were the only ones with reasonable rates (we paid about $245/ one bedroom which had ample room for 5 people per apartment)

We were a group of 15 people- celebrating a 30th birthday. We got three apartments, 2 one bedrooms and one studio. Each had its own charm, a fire place, copious mirors, large kitchen etc etc.

. I will admit that the carpets were dusty and the blinds let light through. but the kitchen was adequate enough to make some scrambled eggs and toast. The couch pulls out in all rooms and is just as comfy as the bed in the room ( not the comfiest but isn't that bad). The pillows are on the thin side. make no mistake these are no westin beds!

I took my own towels and toiletries but they had supplied towels and basic toiletries. The maids clean the room once a day but they don't do a good job, one of the bathrooms had hair and lint that looked like it had been there for a week.

The check in is smooth and the staff are very friendly. Perfect location right next to the copley plaza and the prudential centre. You are next to three T (Subway) stops (Prudential, copley and back bay).

Free wifi was great. They have limited parking spots at $10/night but they gave it to us for free.

We were a group with different levels of income and we all agreed that this place was good for what we needed for the weekend. We came prepared and expecting the worst , so admittedly our expectations were low. The management is in the process of repainting and repairing things so they clearly do read these message boards! As for those complaining about flights of stairs - welcome to boston! that's how most apartments are.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank YasHKinZ
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 21 May 2010

The good - location on a quiet street of townhouses, it was clean, it had a good new TV, the bed was comfortable. There was a small deck (Apt. 211). Free WiFi and local phone calls. I did not use the kitchen.
The bad - ad does not say you will have to walk 3 blocks and perhaps climb up to third floor. Furniture and rug were stained, slats in blinds were broken, screen on patio door was off. I had to reset closet doors into track. Window frames were rotting, peeling, screwed shut. The one night I needed AC, it did not work. The emergency number gave no help. The rate was higher than the ad indicated.