“Romantic, authentic Italian with an excellent wine list” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Erbaluce

Erbaluce
Reserve with OpenTable
Erbaluce is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #155 of 3,172 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$30 - US$50
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Transit: The nearest T stop is the Arlington Street stop on the Green Line. The restaurant is two blocks away, down Arlington Street toward the South End, on Park Square.
Description: Charles Draghi and Joan Johnson's highly acclaimed contemporary Italian restaurant and wine bar. With Charles' simple, ever changing menus, rooted in traditional regional Italian cooking,and the best seasonal local ingredients. This restaurant has won numerous awards and kudos from critics, and many loyal guests. Alongside the Italian menus an equally lauded, all Italian wine list, comprised of rare and traditional village wines. The enoteca/wine bar is a cozy and lively meeting place, with its own menu of simple plates and a fun cordial cocktail list.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Romantic, authentic Italian with an excellent wine list”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2010

Went here looking for Italian in Boston beyond the standard North End fare, and was happily satisfied. A bit disappointed that they didn't have a full bar, but the excellent Italian wine list made up for. They are big on local, fresh ingredients applied to authentic Italian dishes, and the result is very good. It's also a very cozy place in a part of Boston that can be quite busy - good for a date or for a few friends.

• 3 of 5 bubbles

Boston, MA
“Food was fantastic (and we are rather particular)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2010

A couple of weeks ago, I used Open Table's "Fit for Foodies" category in Miami, and discovered some real gems. Last week, looking for something different, I had the idea of checking the "Fit for Foodies" category for my own city. It was a good idea!

Erbaluce was scrumptious. The chef/owner seemed to be passionate about using quality ingredients, and he prepared our dishes with a light and creative hand.

There were three of us. The cuttlefish was the best we've ever had. Ever. My personal favorite dish was roasted white turnips, cut like little logs, served with taleggio cheese and some kind of anchovy, caper and raisin concoction. Really superb. For a main course, one person had the grass-fed steak. She doesn't normally order steak in a restaurant, finding it to be a bit boring, but she said this was easily the best steak she's ever had. I had some homemade pasta--I like to make pasta myself and I can be fussy; this was perfectly made/cooked.

I'm giving five stars for the food and service. Our waitress was really on the ball, as was the bartender who helped us choose some wine before we sat down. Some people have called the atmosphere a bit uninspired but it is quite comfortable, and they have the lighting right---which goes a long way toward good ambiance in my book.

All in all, a nice night. Just thinking about those turnips makes me want to go back asap!

St. Louis, MO
“Superb, hidden gem right in the center of town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2010

Erbaluce is a superb, unique Italian restaurant in Boston hidden away on a tiny side street but within a block or two of the theater district and the Boston Common. The chef used to have a North End restaurant called Macuccio's that was known for it's modern take on traditional Tuscan cuisine. He continues that at Erbaluce. Nothing on the menu (which changes regularly) is "standard" Italian restaurant fare, but it's all delicious. It reminded me of the better restaurants I've been to in Florence. It's a small, elegant space with extremely attentive staff.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
South Shore, MA
“Neighborhood gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

My friends and I (5 of us) went to Erbaluce for the first time last night based on another friend's recommendation. The waiter was attentive, friendly, informative and served us just right. We had the razor clams, eel and the bitter salad for apps, then each of us had a different entree from my cuttlefish risotto in ink/pesto, to skate, sole and homemade pasta with rabbit ragu. Each dish was delicious! All the ingredients were fresh and cooked with care. We really appreciated items offered that aren't usually found in other restaurants in the area like stuffed goose. The panna cotta was the best we've tasted in Boston and we've had plenty to compare to. There's no trace of gelatin whatsoever - very nice and creamy, refreshing with the fresh berries on top. We had a couple of other desserts and they were both great. Unfortunately, I don't remember how to spell out their names. Our meal included a bottle of wine. Total of the bill was very very reasonable, much less expensive than I had expected. The chef came by afterwards and offered us a couple of free tastings of chocolate truffles and this sesame ball dessert. We will definitely return!

Western Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Unique Italian cuisine, friendly service in the heart of the theatre district.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2009

This is not your ordinary pasta place. The restaurant features northern Italian cuisine, but mixes traditional and contemporary dishes, and features what's currently fresh, available, and (when possible), local. We have eaten there several times, with dishes ranging from seafood to wild boar to ravioli. The restaurant staff is attentive, friendly and knowledgeable about the origins of the recipes and the source of ingredients (in some cases able to tell us the bay or river where the seafood came from). Excellent wines. I wish they had a map of Italy available, as the cuisines and wines hark back to specific locales of the country, primarily but not exlusively the northern piedmont region. Convenient to the Pike, parking , and the major theatres, this is a must try place for residents and visitors alike. We'll be back!