“Adventure in East Boston”
Review of Reelhouse

Reelhouse
Ranked #981 of 3,585 Restaurants in Boston
Reviewed 25 June 2018

Out for a birthday dinner with an old friend and we wanted to try something new on the water in Boston. After the mixed reviews I was a little apprehensive, but see as most were to do with service I thought I'd make a reservation. Well my fears went away when we were seated promptly and our server Kate came over. She explained the drinks menu and we took her on the recommendation of drink 'Skinny Jeans' which was very good. The appetizers of Calamari and Shrimp cocktail was excellent, followed by a serving of Swordfish and one of Salmon, again both well prepared and served promptly. Bread pudding to end, which I always try if on the menu, and coffee ended a very good meal and great service from Kate.
As far as the place, take the water taxi from Pier 6, Charlestown or a taxi. There is very little parking at or near the restaurant, so I had to valet park. The good news it was only $15.

1  Thank Neal G

Reviewed 25 June 2018

My wife and I arrived at Pier 6 in Charlestown Wednesday June 20th about 6:30PM (I feel confident about the time line as we headed over shortly after my wife got out of work) and took the free boat taxi across the harbor to ReelHouse..so far everything is wonderful...beautiful warm night for a boat ride etc. ReelHouse is right up the dock ramp and what a great location. Great views, warm summer breeze....what could go wrong?
We scored a couple seats at the inside bar as the outside was full, ordered a couple drinks.....then dinner. Shrimp cocktail to start was excellent, I ordered a house burger and my wife ordered a lobster roll.......and then we waited......and waited and waited and then waited some more......after waiting mmmm 45+ minutes I made eye contact with one of the bar tenders.....he sheepishly said he would check on our order. We waited for him to return finally and where told it will be right out. IT WASN'T right out trust me. The male bartender disappeared (probably hiding from me)and I finally asked the female bartender where our meal was....she said it was a busy night and kitchen was behind....there were many many empty tables and we saw people that were seated after us getting served their meals. Now let me just say the worst part of this whole thing was the bartenders attitude....she legit talked at us like what's the big deal so it took from 6:45PM to 8:40PM to get your meal. She offered to comp a round which was fine....BUT what she/or he should have done was come over tell us that there was a screw up..i.e. "we are sorry....this should not happen, you guys have been waiting a long time....we didn't enter your order or the kitchen is super slow or they lost your meal order" something like that own up to the issue then offer a round or one of the meals at no charge....THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS OWN UP TO THE PROBLEM.....do not leave us sitting there wondering when the hell we are going to eat...especially since we now had two drinks in us. Food was good when it arrived but the service sucked. I'm actually pissed at myself as I write this for letting them abuse me the way they did.

2  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 24 June 2018 via mobile

We went in as a family 5 adults and 3 children from 11-16 in age. Our waiter Jason was great however it all changed. It was 7:30 so we ordered drinks appetizers and the kids food. It came out a little while later, as these came out we ordered all the Adult meals. An hour and a half later they still were not out. After talking to the waiter he said they had a lot of large parties. A few of the parties came in after us and we're served. They said they had to get them out, that isn't right first come first served. That's pretty basic, it took about a half hour more and finally got our food. Again the food was very good but that doesn't help everything. They did compensate us some. Even with this We probably won't go back.

1  Thank Jfotogiz1
Reviewed 21 June 2018

We came here for the views, hoping to be able to eat al fresco, but even at 5:00, there was a 50 minute wait. This is likely due to the views associated with the patio dining and the lively bar scene, so the wait is understandable. Nonetheless we ate inside, as the noise level, even outside, would have been distracting and disturbing. Despite the nautical theme, 3 of the 4 in our group did not have seafood. Two of us had the Reelhouse Burger, which was very good. (Get the Crab Louie add-on for $4), and one had the Eggplant Lasagna, which was nice. The seafood eater had Tuna Poke, which was excellent. The store is located on New Street, which is more like an alley,with tight parking and congestion. Once through it there is valet parking, which is the only way to go. Do not be misled, by the rooftop crowd above the restaurant as you arrive. It’s not theirs, but the condo’s next door. If you have the time, get their free boat shuttle which goes across the harbor to their sister restaurant in Charlestown, Pier 6. Kinda fun.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

This place was fantastic. The staff was very attentive and accommodating. We really enjoyed the view the place had to offer. Beautiful waterfront with an amazing view of the city skyline.

Been to Reelhouse? Share your experiences!