“Not what it appears to be..”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #80 of 83 Hotels in Boston
York, NY
“Not what it appears to be..”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2011

My son and I decided to take a short trip to Boston to see the sights for a day or so. After looking at numerous sites, we decided to give the Inn a try based upon price and location, since the USS Constitution was high on our list. The online listing showed a "recently renovated" hotel. This is a hotel in name only. You are staying at the YMCA, which shares the facility and the hotel is operated as a seperate entity. The place was freshly painted, but the old Y furnishings are still there. The room was a block walled dorm type room, very old, scarred furnishings replete with ancient cigarette burns on the nightstand, small bathroom, cheap mattresses, and so on. There was a small refrigerator microwave and coffeepot stacked up in one corner, you could use two of the three, we found that out after the coffeemaker wouldn't turn on, had to unplug the microwave to make coffee. The halls and room were both unbelievably hot, the outside temperature was in the upper 40's and low 50's. With the heat off and the windows open as far as they could (about 6") there was no relief, although they do provide a lovely oscillating tabletop fan. We propped that in a window to draw cool air in so we could sleep. Old, fuzzy 19" TV, although cable worked OK. Noisy place, as well, with the heat, noise, mattress and such, sleep was not easy for two exhaussted folks after a day of hiking around Boston. Torn skirting on the bed, institutional linens, old cheap carpets, 1950-60 era furnishings, this is not what comes to mind when one commands $125 and up for a hotel in off season, and not anywhere near the center of town. Location is great for the Navy Yard, and for Mass General visitors, and students, which composes a lot of the folks there. The Harbor Ferry leaves the Navy Yard, about a 10 minute walk, and drops you at Long Wharf in Boston for $1.70 a person, which is good for a day trip if you confine yourself to the center of town or plan to walk, take a tour bus, etc.. Parking at the Inn doesn't exist, there is metered parking on the street, but the Inn has an agreement with Mass Gen to use their lot at a discount, it is a 1/2 mile walk to the garage, for $6.00/24 hours make sure you get your ticket validated. There are one or two places to grab a snack nearby, no restaurants, diners or so on.
There are few to no amenities, your key card allows you to use the shared pool and gym at the Y, nothing like a hotel facility, clean enough, but it is a public facility. The staff seems OK, upon checkout on Sunday morning my AARP rate wasn't applied, although I gave them the card when we arrived. There was no one on the desk that could make the computer authorize the price change, we ended up paying 'rack rate'.

Overall, I fell that the online description of the Inn is greatly misleading. This is NOT anything on a par with what the average traveller thinks of as an Inn or Hotel, even on a Best Western/Days Inn level. We weren't expecting the Parker House, but this was a real disappointment. It is an old YMCA dorm, with some fresh paint sloshed on the walls, and a rudimentary set of amenities. I would bite the bullet and spend a little more to stay on the Boston side of the river, or search a little harder than we did and find something else. Make your visit to Boston something more enjoyable than being warehoused. It is cheap, to be sure, but it is no value even with Boston's high room rates!

• Stayed March 2011
3 Thank ronnyvous1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Hungarian first
Falmouth, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2011

My family - me, my wife and our 3.5 year old daughter had a one night stay. My daughter and I came up to Boston to pick up my wife, flying in to Logan. First - the hotel is only about 10 minutes to Logan Airport, that was very convenient. The location is really good. I love the Navy Yard, the street is pretty quiet.
The bakery around the corner was excellent. Note there is no food at the Inn- you need to go out for everything. But all rooms (well, at least ours, and we didn't ask for it) come with a 'fridge and microwave.
The rooms are nothing fancy at all. Our room had concrete walls, and worn carpets. But it was a good size. Same with the bathroom - good size. The shower head leaked and wouldn't stay still (it would constantly try to spray outside the shower). That was a pain.
The bed was comfortable. The cooling didn't work well at all - we stayed in March, and had to keep the windows open, as it was so hot in the room.
The rooms are under powered. There were two plugs that we could find, and both plugs had 4 things in them each - so we had to unplug something to be able to plug in phone and computer chargers. Not good. Please add a power strip at the least!
One reason we chose the Constitution Inn was the pool. While waiting for my wife to arrive, my daughter and I went for a swim. We got in around 3:30. at 4PM on the dot, the lifeguard said family swim was over, and we had to get out. not cool. I found out later that since we were staying in the hotel, we didn't have to get out - family swim was over for YMCA members, not hotel guests. But the lifeguard didn't offer that info. I suggest strongly to management that they give all guests a simple one-sheet when they check in, lettting them know pool rules - like you don't have to get out when the lifeguard says family swim is over! By the time we found out we could have stayed, it was way to late. Its tough to have your 3.5 year old daughter, who was so looking forward to a swim, say "that swim was too short!"
Towels. You would think they were on the endangered species list. There were no towels at the pool, so we brought ours down from our room. We asked for replacements from the front desk, but the woman there looked at me like I was speaking Greek. Maybe I caught her at a bad moment.
The elevator (just one for floors 4-6), was terribly slow. We waited 8-10 minutes one time, 2-3 minutes the other times. I would have taken the stairs, but I couldn't find them.
Free, easy to access WiFi was a treat. So many hotels still screw with guests when it comes to internet access.
Overall - great location, inexpensive. Some issues, but we still had a fun night.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank capec0ddennis
ConstitutionInnMgmt, General Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this review, 4 April 2011
Thank you for your constructive feedback about your recent stay at The Constitution Inn. Your feedback will help us continue to strive to provide an excellent stay during your time in Boston. We are working with our lifeguards to ensure our swim time is open to all guests and their families anytime the pool is open; we're sorry for the inconvenience of ending your swim early. We invite you to come back to the Constitution Inn the next time you are in Boston and are striving to provide an improved stay.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

My room was very clean, and well made-up every morning. I had a comfortable King-sized bed, and the room had a very nice kitchenette area where I could prepare my meals when I wanted to eat in. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and were able to assist me with whatever I needed. It's also unbelievably convenient to have a full Y facility and class schedule just a short elevator ride away. I took yoga classes durning my stay.
For those who come to Boston for treatment at an MGH clinic, the Constitution Inn is on the MGH shuttle line, so you don't need to worry about renting a car or getting taxis.
I will be going back in a week and would not choose to stay elsewhere!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2011

My sister and I travelled to Boston in October 2010. We were on a budget so we were shocked to see that many of the hotels in the Boston city area were insanely expensive. However, after much research, we discovered The Constitution Inn and, to our delight, at $170 USD per night it was right in our price range. It’s also located in nearby Charlestown. Don’t let the stories about Charlestown being the city that produces the most crooks and car thieves scare you; the naval yard where the hotel is located is pretty pleasant and quiet.

Before booking at The Constitution Inn, you must understand and accept the fact that this is a very no-frills hotel. There is no room service, no mini-bar, no pubs, no restaurant, no continental breakfast, no bell-hops and no bells and whistles whatsoever. Don’t go on a honeymoon here. Don’t use this place as a romantic get-away. Don’t put the VIPs of your company in this place. It's not a hostel or anything but it's very simple so if you're a fussy traveler who likes to be pampered, this place isn’t for you.

First of all, if you aren't used to driving on the crazy streets of Boston, you'll find this place a little hard to find. We circled the damn thing for ages before I finally parked across a sidewalk and ran in to ask where the hell the parking lot was. As it turns out, there is none. You have to park in a parking garage which is about a five minute walk away so if you have lots of luggage or are with people who can't walk far, you might want to drop them off first before you park. It's a paid garage but if you bring your ticket to the front desk, they stamp it and you get discounted or free parking.

As well, the trek from the garage to the hotel is along some pretty dark back alley ways but since everything in the vicinity is pretty much deserted and/or boarded up, it's safe enough. It just looks scary.

The old lady at the front desk is a bit crusty when you first speak to her but we were very polite and she warmed up considerably. She was also pretty helpful with directions and check in and out was quick and easy.

The rooms were small but they were pretty good. The beds were clean and comfortable and bathroom, although a bit old-fashioned, was very clean. I'm picky as hell about these things and I was more than satisfied. The walls had a few scuffs and the carpets were a little dingy but on the whole, it was good. You also get free wireless internet, which was a big bonus for my sister and I.

I read a few other reviews where people commented on the noise. First of all, ignore the ranters. Granted, the rooms aren't sound-proof booths so it was a bit noisy but it wasn't like sleeping on the runway of the airport or anything. We heard people in the halls but nothing from the surrounding rooms and even being light sleepers, we had no problems getting a good night sleep.

As I said previously, there is no restaurant, continental breakfast or snack machines so you have to venture out to find sustenance. If you walk out the front door, across an empty lot and turn right, you will find a cute little deli. They have great breakfast, coffee, salads, sandwiches and the best pecan cheesecake I have ever had...although the owners have very thick accents and I thought he was offering me bacon cheesecake, which kinda grossed me out a bit. Since my sister and I don't like big, heavy greasy meals, this place was perfect for us. If you do like a little more "meat and potatoes" or you like snazzier digs, you are within a short walking distance of about half a dozen restaurants and pubs. Unfortunately, no nightlife within walking distance though. Boooo!

The location of this place is amazing!! It is on an old navy base so you are a ten minute walk from the USS Constitution. We also did the Hop on/Hop off trolley tour and the first stop is the USS Constitution so it was nowhere to go to get on the trolley that would take you all over the city. So convenient!! We only had to take a cab twice and it was pretty cheap.

I’m definitely staying at this place when I go to Boston again. It’s a great value compared to other hotels in the Boston area and it’s a great location. As long as you’re not expecting The Ritz, I’d highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank TheCrankyCanadian
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

We had a great time staying at the Constituion Inn for New Years and would recommend this hotel to any of our friends! The room was clean and spacious. The staff was welcoming and was able to make recommendations on local restaurants and attractions as well. There is a ferry about a half a mile away that brings you in the heart of Boston which is also very scenic.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brit2011
Worcester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

I stayed at the Constitution Inn a couple of times and both times were great. The front desk was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and spacious. The hotel is in a nice area and it was only a $10 cab ride to Quincy Market. It's inexpensive and perfect for a night away.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
Providence, Rhode Island
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

We stayed here last New Years Eve and decided to come back for a second year. The hotel is nothing fancy, but it is clean, the beds are great, and the staff at the front desk are very friendly and helpful. The front desk was able to get us a cab excatly when we wanted on New Years Eve, no wait at all. The prices are great and it only costs $8-15 to take a cab to downtown!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends