“Disappointed, to say the least”
Review of Constitution Inn

Constitution Inn
Ranked #81 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 25 April 2014

This was not my first time staying at this hotel. I stayed once in April 2012 and found that, though it's not the NICEST place, it was a fine for such a fair price compared to many other Boston hotels. A trip to a Red Sox game was the reason for my second stay. For $139, I thought that was the best price I could find without going broke over it. Out of curiosity on my way up to Boston, I read over the reviews and found them to be very mixed. I went in with the mentality that it was just a place to sleep and that maybe the reviewers were just being dramatic... But they weren't. Upon arrival, we found that the front desk workers who checked us in were very pleasant. We made our way up to the second floor on a very scary, rickety elevator. When we got off the elevator, the first thing we noticed was a man in pajamas laying on a couch watching TV in what appeared to be a "guest lounge". Very odd. After making a wrong turn, we happened on something even more peculiar. A wrong turn while searching for our room brought us to the wrong hallway where there was a baby in a baby carriage just sitting the hallway, outside a room with an open door which had multiple people inside and it was obvious from all of their belongings that they lived there. We ended up leaving the hotel for the game and came back later that night. We were in our room relaxing and at one point heard someone forcefully jiggling the handle of our door, which was a little bit unsettling. I was awoken in the middle of the night by loudness in the hallway and was unable to fall back to sleep. I ended up reading more and more reviews to figure out what was going on with this place. I found that many people had mentioned that it seemed like people were living there but no one really knew the whole story. After doing some research, I found this excerpt on the YMCA Boston website, just to clear it up: "FamilyAid Boston
Our Annual Fund also supports Travelers Aid Family Services for families who find themselves homeless and on the street, at police stations, or at hospitals in the middle of the night. Travelers Aid Family Services (TAFS) provides temporary emergency shelter, placing families into The Constitution Inn while they pursue longer-term solutions. Contact Steve Telesmanick for more information." All in all, our stay was less than mediocre. If you're looking for a bed and want to spend minimal money, then that is really all this place has to offer. I was very uncomfortable and felt unsafe at times. It's a sketchy place. Only perks were that the staff was friendly and the free shuttle was very convenient.

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank JJ0194

Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My bf and I stayed from April 16-18. It was very cold in Boston. When we got to the room and got ready for bed, we noticed the heat wasn't kicking in even though we turned it on high. I called the front desk and was told "oh. Well, unfortunately hotels in Boston do not have heat after April 1st" by the gentleman who answered at the desk. I said "seriously? This is New England and it's cold!" And he told me I was free to come downstairs for a blanket. I was flabbergasted. If I'm at a hotel, shouldn't I be made as comfortable as I can be? Shouldn't hotel staff offer to bring a blanket to ME?? And I've been in hotels in which I can turn on heat in August or AC in January if I felt like it. This wasn't some pay by the hour motel. We were both exhausted from being out all day and didn't want to get dressed again to go down to the lobby so we just snuggled up and had some alcohol for warmth. We certainly had a rude awakening the next morning when it was so cold in our room we didn't want to get out of bed or get into a shower.As we started getting ready for the day, our entire room started to stink of weed!! I thought it was my imagination but he smelled it too and theres not too many things with that distinct odor! The website presented the hotel as this upscale place, but weed?? and not to mention the mattress was very uncomfortable. It was awful. So we went out again that day. Still cold. On the way back in I wanted to stop by the desk for a blanket but there was a line of 3 separate people there and one person at the desk assisting them. I hoped my bf would stop on the way from parking the car in the garage but he said he gave up waiting to talk to the clerk after about ten minutes. I still couldn't believe they weren't required to have heat in that temperature. Why put customers that you want to return through misery? I didn't get it. So after we checked out we checked into a hotel in the north end and wouldn't you know it? We had as much heat as we wanted! We had the option of heat OR AC and we had that heat blasting bc like I said earlier, it was cold our entire stay.

My bf realized at this point he didn't put his watch back on after his shower. I immediately called the hotel and the person I spoke to was VERY nice and said she was sending someone to check for it. Of course it wasn't there. The only reason they might not have seen it would have been if it had fallen off the night stand but I was told they checked. I'm sure the person I spoke to did. But that doesn't explain where the watch went. Without a doubt he took it off before the shower and neglected to put it back on. I was told the room hasn't been checked into by anyone else, so how did the $180 watch just disappear into thin air?? This didn't sit well with us. Even though the staff was very nice about it, we stopped by the next day to see if we could check ourselves and were told someone was in that room. Very upsetting.
Now, on the way home I had time to think and kept coming back to the comment about Boston not having heat in April. I pulled out my phone and got on google and to my surprise (not really) I found the man at the front desk LIED to me. Apparently in Massachusetts the heating period ends JUNE 14. Makes sense being that it's pretty cold in those parts. The temp is required to be minimum 68 degrees between 7am and 11pm and then 64 degrees overnight. My room wasn't even close to that!!! The second night we could see our breath! I guess the hotel is so hard up for money that they deny their customers a comfortable stay. And then lie to us about it. It's not like this is advertised as the YMCA it really is and youd think you'd need to give heat to the women and children using it as a shelter. I'm honestly disgusted by the whole heat thing. I want my money back. I looked everywhere to find an email address of someone I can address my concerns to but there are only phone numbers listed. Hopefully someone from this hotel cares about the comfort of its occupants and will reach out to me.

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Jaxx091
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Your experience matters to us and we would like the opportunity to listen to your feedback. Please send us an email at frontdesk@constitutioninn.org with the best way to reach you or contact us directly at 617-241-8400 and ask for the Guest Service Manager or Operations Manager.

Best wishes,

The Constitution Inn

Reviewed 12 April 2014

I was surprised to see that the building was shared with the YMCA but I realized that meant we had access to the heated pool and sauna! Too bad I didn't know this when I booked the hotel or I would have taken advantage of it. The hotel is in a great spot, tucked away but still close to the center of boston. There is a coffee shop around the corner and its right near the water. The staff was friendly and professional. The elevator took forever but that was the worst part. The room was very clean and the beds were comfortable. There was a mini fridge, stove, microwave and coffee maker all in the room! The price was great and we are definitely planning to stay there next time we are in Boston!

Room Tip: The vending machines are on the second floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

My sister and I both booked 2 nights through Groupon. It was about 40 % off. We thought the taxi driver had it wrong once we pulled up to a Y.M.C.A. which it shares the building. We walked into the lobby and were not greeted. There were two very rude women at the front desk. We arrived early and one room was "ready". We got to the room which had a high window, fan with no ac, stove, dirt on the bed, pretty much a dorm or Y.M.C.A. We requested a room that looked like the web site photographs. They accomated us. We were moving rooms and got stuck in the elevator for 15 minutes. We decided to leave and told the front desk. Both women were rude, unprofessional, taking our upset personal and argumentative. We only were asking for documentation of the cancelled rooms and they were throwing up their hands, getting angry before we even did. They definitely could use some training. Their manager came out snd professionally handled the situation which we appreciated. My sister found out that people were living there from a barefoot woman with a baby who stated the elevator gets stuck often. She had also seen an entire floor of residents with their doors opened and overstuffed rooms with clothing and personal articles. My point is stay away if you are looking for a clean, classy hotel. We stayed across the harbor at The Hyatt and it was great.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cynthia S
ConstitutionInnMgmt, Manager at Constitution Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Cynthia,

Thank you for taking the time to share your honest experience with us. You did not receive the exemplary customer service you deserved as a guest of ours and for this I extend our sincere apologies. The behavior I witnessed reflects poorly on the Constitution Inn, I could not agree with you more. I will be using this as a teaching moment for the staff team.

Best wishes,

Ashley

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Named after the USS Constitution, the wooden-hulled, three-masted heavy frigate of the United States Navy and its museum, both within a stroll distance, this Inn is a great place to stay.

We took Rowes Wharf Water Taxi on a Two-Day Pass from the airport to the Constitution Inn, again to Long Wharf and back to the airport (free shuttle bus #66).
Charlestown within walking distance to explore.

We were allowed to "store" our bags in the back office until it was time to head back to the airport.

The two ladies at the front desk were super friendly and down to earth, having fun at their job, making our stay flawless. They can teach the class on Customer Service!

To manage the expectations of future travelers, just know this:
this is not a high-end luxury hotel; it is a non-profit organization with the YMCA next door. Rooms are simple, but all clean and with everything you need.
They also provide rooms for children who sustained burn-injuries. I have seen a few of them around. What a fantastic cause!

I am glad to know that some of my money will go to these kids and to keeping the Constitution Inn operational!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DutchNYC
Reviewed 2 April 2014

The hotel advertising is very misleading. It is not really a hotel, but a YMCA. The pool and workout facilities are in the Y. If you really did want to use them, the hours are very limited on the weekends. The room smelled like chlorine, presumably from the pool. The sheets on the bed were cheap and scratchy. The ceiling was slanted, so that if you were 6' or taller, you had to watch your head. The window was on the ceiling. The complimentary shuttle to the North End, is in reality public transportation that only goes to the North End Station. There is no parking, except on the street or a parking garage several blocks away. No where close to get breakfast or coffee... All in all, for the price, I think it was a rip off and wouldn't stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jacki K
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Only had one night in the city and wanted to be close to the Freedom Trail and Boston's tourist sites. Arrived late (1 a.m.) and was greeted by the most friendly woman who took so much time to make sure I had all the information needed to make the most use of my short stay. After a little sleep I was up to explore and she was still working. Again she was most helpful and made sure I had a good place to eat and knew exactly where I was going. I wish I could remember her name because she is due some kudos for her customer service.
The hotel is nice and clean, and quiet and close to the USS Constitution and the Freedom Trail. The inter-harbor ferry is a 5-minute walk which drops off at the downtown aquarium with access to the subway and a direct route to Logan Airport.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo