“Better than what I expected” 5 of 5 bubbles

and up
Boston Freedom Trail Tour in Luxury Rolls Royce Ghost
Ranked #36 of 380 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: This 220-foot granite tower commemorates the Patriots' undaunted bravery in defeat at the 1775 Battle of Bunker Hill.
Louisville, Kentucky
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Better than what I expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

I really enjoyed visiting this monument. The monument itself is fascinating to climb especially when considering when it was built. The view of Boston and Charlestown from the monument was spectacular and picturesque. The climb is hard. I work out six days a week and my heart rate got up there. My friend had to rest a couple of times. It is 294 stairs in a tight spiral staircase. The floor can be wet and slick as well and the building has no environmental controls so if it is cold outside it is cold inside and vice versa. The apex is small but there are places to sit and look around, but if it is crowded it could be uncomfortable. There also is a large shaft covered with grating in the middle so the area along side this is fairly narrow too. Having said that the opportunity to climb this and imagine what the Patriots saw, what they were thing as they saw the British troops approaching on June 16 & 17, 1775 is overwhelming. If you have time I recommend reading the marker on the sculpture about Dr. Warren who directed the Patriots during this battle. It gives a sense of the sacrifice that these men were making in the infancy of our country. I think it gives a greater appreciation for out forefathers and those whose names are rarely, if ever, mentioned in school. The park rangers were very helpful with giving information and also allowed my friend and I a chance to climb the monument though we arrived literally one minute before climbing it. Another point to consider is taking some time to sit in the park area on which the monument sits. It is gorgeous especially on a sunny day. I recommend you take time to notice the markers indicating the corners of the quickly constructed "fort" that the Patriots made that fateful day as they prepared for the battle to come.

1 Thank Joseph C

121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 66 helpful votes
“Awesome Historical Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

A visit to Boston would never be completed if one does not experience Bunker Hill Monument. It's the last point of Freedom trail and we started our trail from here towards Boston Common. The monument is huge, beautiful and gives historical insights about how Americans fought the war with British that time? It was close to our hotel Holiday Inn which was located in Bunker hill area. We had a a great time here.

County Donegal, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth it for the views!! ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014 via mobile

As a bit of a history nerd I love reading and seeing all the historical monuments so in that I'm a bit biased in saying that the information provided is sufficient with out be too heavy! In saying that if you have no care in the world about history the view you get from the top is breathtaking you definitely see Boston in a different light! The only negative is lack of transport to or near it! It's a fair trek from the nearest T station to bottom even! Think I'll make that trek again though!

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Somewhat worth the hike”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is your last stop on the Freedom Trail in Boston, and on a clear day you get a gorgeous view from the top of monument. However, the line can sometimes be ridiculous to get to the top, the climb can be atrocious depending on how hot it is, and you could get just as good a view from other attractions in the city. If you are all about exercise, going to visit this site will be worth it; otherwise, I can think of a few better things to do with your time in Boston.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank cjhightower11
Singapore, Singapore
59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Magnificent!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014 via mobile

Our 1st stop during the freedom trail, usually this the last stop. We reverse the trail attractions to avoid the crowd. Magnificent. Could even climb up the monument to have a great view of the surroundings.