“Loved it, Loved it, Loved it!”
Review of The Gilded Lily

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Gilded Lily
Ranked #2 of 38 Boston B&B and Inns
Somerset, England
“Loved it, Loved it, Loved it!”
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We booked for 2 nights in the parlour room and ended staying for 3. This is a beautiful house with decor that has been finished to the highest of standards.

Really enjoyed the fact that breakfast was left in the kitchen adjoining our room and the fridge and drinks facilities were very convenient.

The Parlour room is lovely and spacious and has an airy fel as its up amongst the tree tops.

James is incredibly helpful and made our stay very comfortable and enjoyable.

The Gilded Lily is in a great location with an underground station a 5 minute walk away and merely a leisurely stroll from the back Bay area and the Prudential centre.

Thanks again James for being a welcoming host and we'd come back tomorrow if we could.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Reviewed 22 May 2011

I stayed 3 nights in the parlor room on the top floor, shared the kitchen with the neighboors from the garden room.
The room is spacious and well decorated, very charming. Very comfortable king size bed, small sofa an chair and a round table with 3 chairs. The rainshower is great.
Breakfast is provided in the kitchen: anytime when you're ready.
I also enjoyed the garden, sitting in the sun, reading a book.
The location is great: nearby prudential, newburystreet and the museum of fine arts.
James is a great host with lots of recommandations what to do, map and lonely planet provided in the room.

Room Tip: the parlor room on the top floor
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank ingrid040
tglboston, Owner at The Gilded Lily, responded to this review, 29 May 2011
Ingrid,
Thanks so much for your kind words. I enjoyed your visit as much as you did! James Cullion
Reviewed 22 January 2011

I recently had the opportunity to have an overnight getaway to Boston to attend the Boston Pops Holiday Concert. I found the Gilded Lily on TA and I knew as soon as I read the reviews that this is where I wanted to stay. Being an Innkeeper myself I prefer to stay at B & B's and hold very high standards. I was not disappointed. The location was perfect. It is a 15 minute walk from the Back Bay Amtrak station (I had taken the train from New Haven) and a 10 minute walk to Symphony Hall. It is located in South Boston amongst restored brownstone lined streets that lead to a beautiful pedestrian walkway that connects Back Bay Station with Mass Ave.
The owner and host was most congenial. My room (Garden Room) was simply but exquisitely decorated. The little kitchenette between the two guest rooms provided everything you would need for a bountiful continental breakfast plus makings for coffee or tea whenever wanted. I have found my favorite B & B in Boston, will recommend to guests staying with us and will definitely be back. A friend and I are already planning a getaway there. Kudos to James and continued success.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank innkeepersupreme
New York City, New York
Reviewed 6 December 2010

The Gilded Lily manages to capture the best of all one might expect from a B&B: convenience, comfort, exquisite design and decorating taste, just the right amenities, all with a gracious, knowledgeable and accommodating host. It truly raises the bar to a higher level! I will definitely stay again and again....

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank MandaandMe
Warren, Vermont
Reviewed 30 November 2010

We needed a getaway & being a B&B owner we tend to stay B&B's. I found the Gilded Lily on TA and the reviews hooked me in. My wife & I were so happy to have found this little gem. It's located on a quiet street within a two block walk to the T. There are even a few restaurants nearby. We hit the the Petite Robert for some fondue and the little bar on the corner for a night cap. The Parlor Room was very spacious with an alcove for the bed a sitting area & table to eat at. The decor is minimalistic in a city chic kind of style. It was very comfy with a boutique hotel feel. Between the two rooms is a shared kitchen with all you could want or need. They even had champagne flutes for our proseco bought a a nice wine shop up the road. A conti. breakfast is available in the kitchen and the k-cup coffee was a nice touch. We walked to Chinatown for dinner (10 min) and to the Elizabeth Stewart Gardner Museum (10 min) which should not be missed. All in al lit was a great stay. James the owner is very nice and full of information but if you are the type who prefers not to socialize you can do that too.
If you are going to Boston stay here!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Utica, NY
Reviewed 30 October 2010

My family just returned from a two night stay at the "Gilded Lily". This Bed and Breakfast far exceeded our expectations in every way! It was impeccably clean and lovely in a way only a historic Brownstone that has been maintained to shine can be. Our host, James Cullion, went above and beyond to make sure our stay was perfect. I personally loved the fact that the Boston "t" was just a short distance away, allowing us access to all of Boston without the hassle of driving. We parked our car right at the B&B, and used the Boston Transportation with ease.
My brother and sister-in-law enjoyed the Garden Room, while my husband and myself took the Parlor Room. Each room had it's own entry door and it was perfect for us, giving both couples complete privacy as it was separated by a well stocked kitchen with doors at both ends. A leisure Breakfast with fresh brewed coffee, rolls, croissants, jelly, cereal, and yougert were available to us each morning, along with much more.
I found this Bed and Breakfast on the Internet and cannot believe just how lucky I was!. In the evening we came back to our rooms exhausted, had a few glasses of wine on our comfortable couch and chairs, refreshed ourselves, and were back out in the friendly neighborhood of brownstones enjoying some of the best restaurants right in the neighborhood. It very conveniently had internet Wi-Fi, so I was able to connect with the rest of the family to tell them what a great time we were having!
The Gilded Lily has it all! Comfort, Security, History, Charm, Convenience. I'm so glad we discovered and experienced it!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed 22 October 2010

My wife and I stayed in the Garden Room at the Gilded Lily for two nights in mid-October. The room was well-appointed and very clean. The shared breakfast area was convenient and well-stocked. The inn is in a quiet neighborhood and easily accessible from the Mass Ave T station. We were able to walk to all the major tourist sites without problem. The surrounding neighborhood also has a good selection of restaurants. We recommend the inn highly.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple