“Heart of Boston”
Review of The Gilded Lily

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Gilded Lily
Ranked #3 of 37 Boston B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 December 2011

What a fantastic little B&B, surrounded by residential Boston, located well within a reasonable walking distance to downtown. Coffee shops and picturesque parks, old buildings and general New England charm jump out at you on every corner.

The rooms are clean, well-furnished (with New England charm) and are currently home to my wife and I for the next few chilly days in Boston.

Booking online went without a hitch and James (Innkeeper) was very prompt to respond to questions via email. Free Wi-Fi and a well-stocked fridge already have me thinking about a return trip to Boston.

Trick to the shower - keep turning the handle to get to the hot water. Once you've worked it out, it is heaven on a New England winter.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 December 2011

Had a wonderful time in this lovely brownstone b&b. There is so much attention to detail and the value is just amazing. Spacious, comfortable, good location and helpful amenities. Couldn't ask for a better experience. Will definitely return!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My partner and I stayed in Parlor Room 2 this past weekend on a pleasure trip to Boston. We selected The Gilded Lily as our home away from home based upon a good amount of research, including reading through the reviews on tripadvisor. Our experience was outstanding.

This is a beautiful and wonderfully appointed property in the lovely South End of Boston. The building's facade is pristine, and the interior is stylish and understatedly elegant. The freedom to wander by foot or take public transportation and be close to a wide variety of attractions and great restaurants is a plus. From the beautiful container of mini pumpkins that greeted us at the front door, to the tasty selection of continental breakfast items that we were welcome to enjoy on our schedule, it is clear to us that James takes pride in his property and cares about his guests. The N'oreaster this past Saturday evening kept us from exploring all that we wanted to that day, but hunkering down in our room was a real treat!

We had the pleasure of meeting James and his adorable dog, Sawyer, during our stay, and that made our trip all the nicer. We love Boston, we love The Gilded Lily, and we will, without a doubt, be back.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Our first trip to Boston was a complete delight! The Gilded Lily is a beautiful home and with very well appointed guest rooms. We loved the privacy of the continental self-serve breakfast! The "T" was an easy few minutes walk through the park. Several nice restaurants nearby and the Prudential Center about a 5 or so minute walk from the B&B! The beds and bedding were top of the line and very comfortable. The neighborhood was quiet with tree lined streets and brick sidewalks; picturesque! We would love to go back and do it all again!

Room Tip: We saw 3 rooms and all were tastefully decorated with lovely updated bathrooms and marvelous linens...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 October 2011

Our trip to Boston was perfect because we woke up every morning in the best room in town. The room was very beautifully furnished and it was spotlessly clean, with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom had an excellent shower and we loved being able to help ourselves to breakfast in the morning. The location was just right too - the T stops were really close, and walking around the neighbourhood was a real pleasure - Wifi access meant we could plan our days and make the most of being in such a brilliant city. We would recommend the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum for an eclectic collection of objects and art, South End/Tremont and Shawmut Ave for restaurants and Newbury St for shopping. We'll be coming back to Boston to continue to get to know the city, and we will definitely stay at the Gilded Lily when we do. Thank you for helping to make our trip so enjoyable!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2011

I needed a place close to the Hynes Convention Center and didn't care for the price and/or reviews of many of the hotels. I stumbled upon the Gilded Lily with all of it's great reviews and amazing price. What a gem! The reviews were all right. This is a 5 star b&b! The rooms are beautiful and very well kept. It's quiet, but a few minutes walk from everything you could want. We will definitely be back to stay at the Gilded Lily.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed 7 October 2011

One of the benefits of B&Bs is the opportunity to capture a "life in CITY" point of view that can't be matched in a chain hotel, where "the sameness of things" is reliable and predictable. The Gilded Lily is what I imagine a Bostonian experience to be. I stayed in the Parlour Room on the third floor, overlooking South Boston rooftops with an October sunrise peeking through my blinds. My trip was business -- so the inn experience was limited to mornings and evenings. As mentioned in other reviews for this property, the location is ideal, close to transit, taxis and a mid-range walk to Copley Square (10 minutes) and the Theater District (20 minutes). The room was beautiful, very clean, with moderate room to stretch. Ample closet space. I used the wifi and ipod dock while working in the room at night. I used the TV in my room, though since there was no printed channel guide, it took some time trying to locate a sports event I wanted to see -- and I had no success with that. A minor disappointment. The other observation: This is a private experience, in that there is no common room for breakfast, so unless you happen to run into another guest in the shared kitchen area, or on the stairway, you will not interact with other guests or the innkeeper. You can take your breakfast to your room and enjoy it there, by yourself. (It is possible for friends to rent both rooms on the third floor -- and to open doorways to each other.) The innkeeper, in a lovely welcome note, does invite you to visit his office between specified hours daily in the ground floor if you wish to meet, and there is a telephone number, of course, for other queries/concerns you might have during your stay. This was my second choice -- as my first choice had no availability -- but I was very satisfied with the experience, and I remarked to my business associates what a gem this place is. Thank you for a nice stay!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business