“Marvelous B&B on Quiet Boston Street”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gilded Lily

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Gilded Lily
Ranked #2 of 39 Boston B&B and Inns
Los Angeles, California
“Marvelous B&B on Quiet Boston Street”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

If you've ever wondered what it might be like to live in a perfectly restored vintage Boston brownstone in a world of quiet far removed from the traditional contemporary urban hotel experience, this place is for you. The Gilded Lily is lovingly and thoughtfully maintained by its owner of some thirty years, who is available by phone should you need his assistance. James not only saw us parking and helped us carry our bags to the Parlor Room on the second floor, he also spent time citing several events happening in the vicinity and then later helped us in printing needed boarding passes for our flight home and even left them where we could pick them up on our way back into the building. The neighborhood itself is a marvel of the way urban America once was - safe, friendly and peacefully thriving. In short, book the Gilded Lily if you happen to be en route to Boston. You will not regret the decision and you will long savor the stay in your memory.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stayed in Garden #2, 4th. floor. I was so excited when I first saw the beautiful 5 story brownstone that was to be my home for 3 nights in October of 2013. I was also angry at myself for over packing. My room was on the 4th. floor and there is no elevator. It was not a problem since I had two strong males in my group! Upon entering my room I was completely at home in the lovely decor and open airy windows. The room was vey spacious, lots of closet space, a large dresser, table for two and a TV. The bed had a fabulous down comforter and luscious linens. The bathroom has been beautifully rehabbed and has a large window.

I was very surprised and intrigued by the breakfast part of the B&B. There is a galley kitchen between the two rooms on the 4th. floor. It was so well equipped and the refrigerator was stuffed with croissants, bagels, muffins, yogurt, O.J., milk and fruit. The were several types of cereal and afternoon snacks in the cupboards. You use a Keurig coffee maker and there are many choices of coffee and tea. I took breakfast in to my room and sat at the large table by the windows. It was slightly cool and I opened the windows to listen to the birds chirping in the trees.

Downtown Boston is only a short walk from The Guilded Lily. It is a walk through a beautiful park and there is so much to look at and so much beauty to absorb. Be careful as the sidewalks are uneven! I tripped several times looking at the beauty of the area and not watching where I was walking!

A couple of tips: If you take the sight seeing trolly just for transportation, check the map to locate where you are and where you are going. The entire ride is 1 hour and you cannot really use it in place of a taxi if you have somewhere you need/want to be quickly. Also, there is a great wine store not far from The Guilded Lily. Pick up your wine and put it in the fridge for cocktail hour in your room.

I loved The Guilded Lily and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed two nights here. I truly felt at home. The owner of this place went "the extra mile" to make my time visiting Boston an unforgettable experience. If u have the change to stay here, don't hesitate and do it. Best best bed and breakfast ever

Stayed October 2013
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2013

This B&B is in a pretty building in a great area. It's close to the subway and there are some good bars and restaurants nearby. We didn't get to meet James but we had clear instructions on how to check in. The room was a good size, nicely furnished and spotlessly clean. There was a shared kitchen area between our room and the adjacent room with plenty of breakfast items to choose from.

The 'hot' water could have been a bit hotter and we had a bit of trouble with the security code when collecting our bags but all in all we enjoyed our stay and would be happy to go back.

Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

The Gilded Lily is in a great location on a beautiful street. The room, bathroom and kitchenette were spotless and bedding very comfortable. Short walk to subway line and back bay.

The only problem we encountered was with noise coming from a party one night and from construction that began early and went most of the day on several days. We stayed in the top floor garden room facing the back.

Room Tip: Our garden room was lovely and beautifully decorated. I would return again but would try the larger...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

We stayed one night, went away for a night and came back the following night — not the best arrangement for the owner of a B&B, but James accommodated us cheerfully, allowing us to leave some bags, which were in our room when we arrived back. The arrangement also enabled us to sample two rooms (Parlour 2 and Garden 2), both of a very high standard. The do-it-yourself breakfast ydismayed us at first, but proved to be ideal — we could eat when and what we liked. The shared kitchen was very well equipped. Other reviewers have talked about the good location and comfortable rooms, which we would endorse. I would gladly stay again and recommend it to others.

Room Tip: All rooms are good.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

The only complaint we had was the work being carried out on the construction of a new balcony. We should have been told this was going ahead. We were in the 2nd floor garden room and we came back one afternoon to relax before going out again. Unfortunately we were unable to due to the incessant banging. That also made the room vibrate.

• Stayed September 2013