“No. 1 for a reason!”

Ranked #8 of 3,202 Restaurants in Boston
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Visa, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Description: Located on the waterfront in downtown Boston, James Hook & Co is the go-to place for delicious, high-quality lobster and seafood. We are a third generation family business, and have been selling lobster since 1925. James Hook & Co has earned a reputation for the finest lobster in town, even earning the Best Lobster award from Boston Magazine.
Dublin, Ireland
“No. 1 for a reason!”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stopped by with my friends after taking the trolley tour. We had heard great reviews about it and wanted to give it a try ourselves. I tried the lobster roll while my friends tried the crab cakes and chowder. It is very visible why James Hook and Co are the talk of the town as the food was outstanding! The lobster roll had just the right amount of mayo and the lobster meat was overflowing from the roll. The staff were also very friendly and accommodating. Getting to enjoy our food in the beautiful sunshine along Boston Harbour was an added bonus! We will definitely be returning when visiting Boston again!

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
I'm really glad that you and your friends gave us a try and enjoyed the roll, crab cakes, and chowder, Ali! Psyched that our staff added to the good times and that you liked the view, too. Next time you're out this way, we hope to see you!

Safe travels,

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Morrisville, PA
“GREAT lobster rolls!!”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We had lobster rolls at several restaurants during our 5 day stay in Boston but this place had the best by far! The small was $15 and the large was $18 filled with lobster meat and very little mayo and no fillers. We also tried the clam chowder and the fish chowder which the owner had just made and both were excellent! It was a beautiful day so eating on the picnic tables outside was fun and unique. Yes, they are busy and there was a long line but it moved fast and confirmed that this was the place to have lunch. We sent all of our friends and family who were in town for a wedding down there and they also raved over the lobster rolls. Highly recommend this place!

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
It's great to hear you'd rate our lobster roll the best you had during your stay! Glad you enjoyed the clam and fish chowder along with the outdoor seating, too. Next time you're in town, we hope to see you!

Safe travels,
“Wow”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

All I can say is wow. Their lobster rolls are out of this world. At first when I ordered ours I thought the $15 price tag was a bit much. Uhh no way. Those lobster rolls were worth every penny. Perhaps our favorite meal in Boston.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Charlotte D
John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
I'm psyched that you enjoyed the lobster rolls and consider them to be in the running for your favorite Boston meal, Charlotte. Thanks for trying us out and for taking the time to review us here. Hope to see you again the next time you're out this way!

Best,
Houston, Texas
“Huh?”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My wife and I stopped at the waterfront location of James Hook (apparently, the restaurant burned and they are operating out of temporary building), and all we can say is "Huh? What are we missing?" The clam chowder was OK, but no where near the best we've had in Boston or elsewhere. The lobster roll was good, but no better than the Legal Terminal C lobster roll...albeit a lot less pricey.

Visited August 2014
2 Thank Jim H
John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Thanks for giving us a try, Jim! We do our best to serve up the tastiest lobster rolls and chowder and we are proud of the recognition we get for it. Our lobster roll is considered one of the top six in Boston. That said, everyone has their own legitimate tastes. We're always happy to listen to your concerns and make things right for you in the moment. I hope that you'll consider giving us another chance sometime.

All the best,
Venice, Florida
“SOOOOO GOOD”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My wife and I were out riding rent a bikes and stopped by for lunch. She wanted a lobster roll, so we figured we wouldn't be disappointed. My wife is an extremely healthy eater and doesn't usually eat mayonnaise. She asked if it was possible to get lobster on a roll with out the mayo, they accommodated. I went for the lobster mac and cheese and a hot dog. All our food was off the charts fantastic. The biggest surprise though was my wife tried my mac and cheese and said it was incredible. Needless to say she tried it several times. The staff here although extremely busy did exhibit pride and courtesy. There are several picnic tables outside to enjoy your meal. We look forward to returning

John M, Owner at James Hook & Company, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
So glad that you and your wife enjoyed everything! I'm happy we were able to accommodate your wife with her request, and that she also ended up digging the lobster mac! Thanks for your kind words about the staff, too.

Hope to see you again soon,