“Throw out the hook”

and up
Boston Brewery Tour plus Lunch or Dinner
Ranked #30 of 396 things to do in Boston
More attraction details
Owner description: Please come and visit the brewery! Rich and Dan started Harpoon to make great beer and welcome beer lovers. That founding spirit lives on every day as we pour pints in the Beer Hall, take visitors on brewery tours, and share our passion for beer with fellow beer lovers.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Throw out the hook”
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

Located in the south of Boston by the cruise ships. Take the silver line out of South station. AMAZING from the outside not much to look at but as you venture up the stairs you all of a sudden feel the comfort and warmth of friends. The brewery tours are full of information and the bar keep as well. Try sampling a flight and a fresh made pretzel with homemade sauce. Wide selection of gifts at the gift shop. Growers available to go. Diddonethat and will definetly go again .

• Hebrew first
Scotts Valley CA
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 269 helpful votes
“decent brewery tour”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Having thoroughly enjoyed the Samuel Adams Brewery tour in the morning and walked all over Boston in the preceding days, we decided to explore the Boston waterfront and Harpoon Brewery. We got to the brewery a little after noon and the next available tour was at 2pm; fortunately, we wanted to take the 4pm tour. So, I guess I'd advise getting there early if you want to take the tour; although they are once an hour during the week (and every 20 minutes on the weekend), they seem to fill up pretty fast..... several other reviewers noted that they couldn't get on to the tours even after long waits.

The tour is $5 and must be reserved and paid for in person. Not quite sure why they can't / won't take online reservations (it works for Samuel Adams and Sierra Nevada), so it's a bit inconvenient unless you get there early and are willing to wait a few hours. (Due to the popularity, perhaps they've had problems with no-shows, but charging for the tour should eliminate that problem) There are quite a few pay parking lots in the area as well as metered parking. Parking is available on-site (and free) between the hours of 5pm and 5am, reserving the other times for employees.

If you have to wait, there is a large eating/drinking hall to enjoy the numerous Harpoon beers on tap and/or have a freshly baked plain or flavored pretzel. Being partial to dark beers, we judged the Irish stout was delicious.

The format of the tour is to get an overview of the history of the brewery, the basics of beermaking and observe some mechanics like the keg filler. The information was fairly rudimentary and pales in comparison to the Samuel Adams Morning Mash In tour (I would assume that the other Samuel Adams tours are similar, but not sure). Then comes the most interesting part of the tour.

For twenty minutes, you can drink as much as you want of about a dozen different beers. Some flavored, some traditional style ..... nothing but ales. No lagers. For those unsure of what they like or not even sure that they like beer, the dozen are a good representation of the range of beers .... and you should be able to find something that you like.

After the twenty minutes are up, the tour continues for a little bit. Then, having figured out what kind of beer you like, you're free to enjoy more beer in the beer hall (of course, you have to pay for it)

1 Thank JKD
Brighton, Michigan
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great time”
Reviewed 26 August 2014 via mobile

Went with my wife and two youngish (7 & 9) kids. We had a few pretzels and my wife and I had two beers each. Everyone had a good time. Kids enjoyed the food and we enjoyed the atmosphere. Great place to go if you are interested in craft beer. I imagine this is a fantastic place to go if you are single or are "sans kids". Great cool vibe.

Illinois
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Must visit for beer-lovers”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Great beer, great staff, great tour, great pretzels. What else can I say? They keep it simple with the beer and pretzel thing and its a perfect pairing. We went twice and enjoyed every beer on tap. They offer 3 pre-picked flights of four beers each, the UFO flight, the Harpoon flight and the Harpoon Imperial flight. The tour is only $5 and worth it just for the beer samples, but it is also very interesting and fun. The staff is awesome and knowledgeable. I can say without a doubt that they care about the people who visit them. We bought a few pint glasses and one broke on the flight home to Chicago and they sent us a new one for free. This is a special, beautiful place; If you love beer you need to get out to Harpoon.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“you cannot mix your own flight”
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Maybe my expectations were too high going in. The beer is great. I knew it would be. I've been a fan of Harpoon for a long time. What got me is that you cannot mix and match the flights. They have three different tasting flights: Harpoon, UFO, and Imperial. I knew I didn't want the Harpoon flight because that comes with two IPAs and I'm not a big IPA fan. I didn't want the UFO flight because that had the grapefruit shandy and the hefeweizen, which are great, but which I've had a lot of lately. So, I opted for the Imperial. The black forest and the maple tap were terrific. The pumpkin was okay. The Leviathan I did not finish because I DON'T LIKE IPAs. Anyway, I would've enjoyed it a lot more if I could have picked four beers I wanted to try and was relatively sure I'd like.

Let's now take a moment to praise the pretzel. That pretzel was amazing. We had the beer cheese and the bacon ranch dips and those were amazing. I am going to be dreaming about that pretzel for some time.

When we left there was a line at the door. Not sure I'd wait in that line.