“Form NOT Function!”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Quincy, Massachusetts
“Form NOT Function!”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

This hotel certainly isnt short on contemporay flair. Unfortantely, the designers didnt put any thought into function.
Forget about sharing a double queen bedroom with friends or family. The bathroom wall is see through mesh! The room walls might as well be mesh too. You can hear a quiet conversation 50 feet down the hall and the couple two doors down having an intimate moment.
We stayed on the tenth floor and we're kept all night with the street noise. The curtains are cheap thin plastic and do nothing to buffer sound that resonates through the glass exterior.
You have to turn on the suite lights inorder to get the bathroom lights to work. The lights are also placed in odd locations, leaving wierd shadows or dark spots in the room/bathroom.
I have stayed in rat holes and 5 star hotels around the country and in Boston. This is by far one of the worse locations. Especially considering the $$$ per night. Stay at the Boston Harbor Hotel, Taj or Four Seasons if you want a 5 star experience worth the money.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I stayed here the other weekend and was expecting a lot more. Service was seriously lacking, with the girls more interested in giggling amongst themselves then dealing with guests, where is the management? In regards to the concierge services I agree with the previous reviews – she was seriously annoying and not good at her job giving me terrible recommendations while not really listening to what I was looking for. A shame, the property and rooms are beautiful (although a bit noisy) and I was looking forward to a good stay but my expectations were not met.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank ms12360811
Bill B, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Hello, I read your review and would love the opportunity to speak with you about the service of our Talent at the W Boston. If we recommended something that you did not enjoy we would love the feedback as well. look forward to speaking to you. 617.261.8700, Cheers! Bill Bunce, General Manager
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The only good thing to say about the hotel was that the beds were incredibly comfortable. We didn't like the see-through bathroom which is a standard in the W Hotels, nor the fact that all amenities have a cost. Nothing in the room is complimentary and nothing in the lobby is complimentary. Not even coffee early in the morning. The hotel is dark, hip and very modern which is typical of the W Hotels but this one looked worn already. The lobby needs a facelift and there is nothing to eat while sitting on very uncomfortable couches without backs - just a bar. The only place to eat is Jean-Georges wonderful restaurant but had to go down the streeet for Starbucks in the morning. We stayed at the hotel for a wedding - they had blocked rooms otherwise we would have stayed elsewhere. On the morning we were to leave my 86 year old Aunt fell on the marbled bathroom floor outside the tub. The floors are like glass without mats and so she put a hand towel down but it slipped right from under her. She hit her head on the trash can on the way down and we had to go the emergency room of Tufts Medical Christmas eve morning. The hotel wouldnt let us use their car service but instead wanted to call for an ambulance to go 2 blocks. We declined the ambulance and asked them to drive us. They said no and that they would get us a taxi . They sent security to help us but they could do nothing but give us bandages to stop the bleeding long enough to get her dressed to go to the hospital. We got to the hospital ourselves and when we returned two hours and 10 stiches later NOT ONE PERSON asked us how My Aunt was doing or even acknowledged that anything had happened. Not the manager, desk staff, doorman, NO-ONE. In fact NO-ONE except security and someone from housekeeping even came to our room. NO-ONE acknowledged us in the lobby except security, The girls at the desk were too busy giggling and talking amongst themsleves. It was disgraceful. We have still not received an apology from the hotel for the incident. It is as if it never happened. They couldn't be bothered. In fact we had to call the front desk from the hospital to tell them if we needeed late checkout!! We paid for 3 rooms, 2 of them for two nights and we got absolutley no expression of concern or follow-up or apology from the manager of the hotel or any of the the staff except the security guard . When we returned they did not offer to help us with our luggage or bring anything down. We had to do it ourselves. They virtually ignored us! Seriously. The room still had the blood soaked towels on the bathroom floor! Terrible service, terribly insensitive people - NEVER GO THERE - EVER

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank citygirl003
Bill B, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Hello Ms. Gallagher, I read your review about the W Boston and would like to opportunity to speak to you regarding your stay. Please contact me at your earliest convienence at 617.261.8700. Cheers! Bill Bunce, General Manager
Ramsey, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Very trendy hotel near everything. It's a bit pricey and the Marvelous suite on the 15th has a weird lay out (IMO). Next time we'll opt for a lower priced room.

The bar was happening on Friday & Saturday nights.

Conceirge - Jennifer and Josh were amazing...great recommendations and if you needed anything, they were there to help!

Room Tip: Opt for a lesser priced room and ask for an upgrade upon arrival.
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 December 2011

I will start by saying that this is a totally fine hotel. The staff was pleasant, the room was clean, the bedding was nice.

But the room just seemed small and cheap. I could overlook the size of the room, if it had been nicely done. But the interior of the room was more like an Aloft than a W. This place has a very post-modern, minimalist kind of feel, but it comes off more as cheap and sort of depressing rather than high design. The bathrooms have a weird screen type of thing separating them from the rest of the room, so they are not really separate from the room. The lighting in the room is terrible; it's all floursecent panels build into the walls; i suppose it's supposed to be modern; but it ends up being pretty dark; hard to see when you're getting dressed; with a strange system of light switches all around the room.

The walls are fairly thin. I can hear the person next door using the shower.

There are no views to speak of it seems from any room, since I was "upgraded" to a room on a high floor (14 of 15), and all I see are the HVAC units on the roof of the building across the street.

This is a fine hotel. But with all the choices in Boston, I would not rush back here.

2 Thank Fishabs
boca raton, fl
Reviewed 16 December 2011

I've been to this hotel 3 times in the past 8 months. The lobby is nonexistent, as there's a restaurant that takes up the entire space. It's dimly lit, very modern and feels like you're walking into an office building. Once I stayed in a room facing the front of the bldg. This gets all the street noise, even on the 12th floor. Since then, I request the back--which is silent.

The rooms are clean, modern and have very comfortable beds with fluffy duvets. The decor is gray and black, and the room's pretty dark, not a whole lot of lighting or sunlight. That's my only real negative--the room's kind of dreary. There are no views in either the front or back, as both face into buildings. Great Bliss products. Only odd thing, is that between the bedroom and the bathroom there is no full wall. There's a fabric panel separating them, like a window. No big deal, as I've been there on my own. However, if traveling with my kids, it would not be ideal.

Room service is fast and delicious and Bliss Spa is in the building. Basically, between the comfy bed, really good room service and having Bliss spa to fill some free time--I'm a happy guest.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
Athens, Georgia
Reviewed 8 December 2011

What a wild stay at this hotel. First, the good news. I was warmly greeted and given an upgraded room as a spg platinum. At every point of contact, hotel staff was professional, warm, and responsive. So far, so good! However, there are at least 2 night clubs across the street that have loud music that prevents restful sleep until 2 am (on a Thursday night). At 2:15 am, there were 6 gunshots as people were shot in the street in front of the hotel! With the ambulance and police activity, it was impossible to get sleep needed for a full business day. Plus, the Accura driver got lost taking me to my meeting; I was nearly 15 minutes late due to how far lost he got.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business