“Modern Property in heart of Back Bay”
Review of W Boston

W Boston
Ranked #29 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Freeport, Grand Bahama Island
“Modern Property in heart of Back Bay”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

What a great experience. My wife and I checked in and we were surprised by an upgrade to an amazing suite. The room was incredibly chic and modern with whimsical furniture, full bar, powder room, huge master bath and plenty of other amenities. The lobby bar was lively even on a Monday night.

The hotel is close to all of Boston's theatres including the Wilbur and the Citi Performing Arts Center, tans is a short walk to he Boston Common, Faneuil Hall and Boston Public Garden. There are literally dozens of great restaurants within walking distance.

Bravo!

Room Tip: Try to book a room that ends in 26.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
WBostonAlison, Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Hi Brendan!
Thank you for joining us at W Boston. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed your upgrade, and I'm so glad to hear it was a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back soon!
Alison

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My friends and I are all older (40+) with sophisticated tastes. As such, we really struggle to find fun places in Boston that are "too young" or cheesy. The Tunnel was a nice mix of people. While mostly mid- 20s, the crowd also had 30's and 40's mixed in. Everyone was clearly having fun, but everyone behaved themselves. There were no obnoxious, pushy youngsters. Tunnel had a very city / chic vibe.

I needed a last minute reservation on a Saturday night for a VIP table. I made the request on-line at The Tunnel website. Claudia got back to me right away. And while they generally do 2 Bottle minimum for table service, they were able to accommodate my smaller party of 4 and knock down the requirement to 1 bottle, which was nice considering a bottle of Grey Goose is $350.

After skipping the line and cover (due to the VIP table), we were greeted by Courtney who led us directly to our table and introduced us to our server, Lisa. We were made to feel comfortable and were never neglected. We had a great time dancing to the music! Some of us more than others! You know who you are!!

The lack of 5 star is that the music was techno top 40. IMHO, They could've done better by mixing in more South Beach Miami techno beat funk...

NOTE: We also had dinner before at the Market in the "W." Service was a bit slow, but the food was excellent!! FTR - I would rather have slow service than be rushed along. Our waiter was knowledgeable about the wine and accommodated my finickiness by allowing me to taste a couple selections before ordering a full glass, which was nice... I had the mushroom risotto and venison. My friends had burgers. Everything was prepared to order and tasty! A personal visit to our table by Chef Brian added a nice touch to the evening.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank necowgirl
Gurki S, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Hello Necowgirl,

Sounds like you enjoyed your experience at the Tunnel & Market. Hope to see you back soon.

Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This is a W Hotel, so you´ll get a cool lobby, with cool people and cool music. The rooms are modern, clean, but nothing special. Comfortable, smaller rooms than expected, nice service and that´s it.
Service is ok. Breakfast is quite good, although the price will surprise you, because you will be paying like if you where in a 5 star grand luxury hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Gurki S, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Hello GLSMAD,

Thank you for choosing the W during your visit to Boston and I am thrilled that you enjoyed the vibe of the W during your stay. In regards to breakfast pricing we do try to be competitive and I will share your feedback with my restaurant manager. Hope you will visit us again.

Reviewed 23 November 2013

We spent six nights in the W in Boston. We were very well welcomed by the nice Swiss receptionist Daniella. The room was very comfortable: two queen size beds very comfortable, the bathroom was convenient. Nothing to say about the cleanliness of the room. Three negatives points: as the hotel is located in front of the Stuart street, the room was (very) noisy; friday and saturday nights, the lobby of the hotel turns into a lounge/club and when we went back of evening the door keeper asked our hotel key card I felt insulted; last negative point, the hotel has overcharged our credit card and then, at the end of our stay, credited our card…we lost around 30$ in the operation due to the currency change. But I'm not vengeful and I give 4 points!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hello Eddie 1232,

Sounds like you enjoyed your interaction with Daniella from the welcome desk and your overall stay. You made 3 negative observations as well and I am sorry that they impacted your stay and I have shared your feedback with my team so that we can improve on our delivery of service. We are located in the theater district with numerous entertainment venue surrounding us, which results in the W Lounge being very busy on weekends. For managing crowd control we do ask our guests for rooms keys, I assure you that this practice is only to ensure the safety and security of our guests. If I can be of further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me directly at gurkirat.singh@whotels.com.

All the best.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

While most of our hotel stays happen when we are on vacation or traveling for work, every once in a while we stay a night or two in the city to celebrate something special or just have a night out. We've stayed at the Liberty, Fairmont and Renaissance in the past but the W was hands-down the best experience of all. Apart from the regular luxuries you'd expect at a W property, the best thing going for this hotel is its location. The W is right in the middle of all the action in Boston with theaters, bars, clubs, restaurants and Boston Common all within walking distance.

Coming back to our experience - it was the super-quick reply to emails, the attention to detail for our requests, smooth check-in, the thoughtful extras in the room and the general attitude of the employees (all the way from the valet to the General Mananger) that really made this a special experience. As far as the rooms are concerned, they are very chic, appointed with a great deal of modern amenities. They may not be the largest rooms we've come across in the city but they were designed intelligently for maximum space utilization. While we're not big fans of the "Market" restaurant on property, we absolutely love their lobby bar & lounge. The lounge does tend to get a little crowded on weekends.

We also spent some time at Tunnel (the basement club in the hotel building), which was previously known as Descent. Great music and good vibe... just be mindful that the ceiling now has an orchestration of hundreds of bulbs all over that can sometimes be a little much! Nothing that a little alcohol can't help fix!

All in all, a great hotel in the middle of Boston with an exceptional staff.

P.S. Valet parking is not cheap at $47 for 24 hours but it does offer in/out privileges. There are plenty of other lots in the area if you don't care about moving your car!

P.P.S. We also tried massages at the Bliss Spa - really knowledgeable and experienced message therapists but the look/feel of the spa, or their amenities didn't blow us away.

Room Tip: The top half of the building are the W residencies so the highest that the hotel goes is 14 floors I...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Hello Sunny Dubai,

Thank you for your glowing endorsement of the W and the talent. You can always count on us when looking to mix it up in the city. Look forward to your next visit.

Weehawken, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 November 2013

The Boston W served as the base for my best friend's bachelorette this past August. We stayed in a corner room that got amazing light (we were on the 8th floor) and had one way mirrors for the bathroom. Half of group stayed down the hall in a smaller room, and I have to say the corner room felt bigger and seemed much nicer. The staff (valet, door men and room service) were all really friendly and helpful (extra towels were delivered promptly and with a smile). The hotel was clean and had a luxurious feel. It was the perfect spot for a bachelorette as a male revue and many bars/clubs were in close walking distance. I did not book the hotel so I don't know specifics, but there was a hiccup with the booking - this may have been because a Travelocity credit was used and there was some confusion about the room's we had reserved. In fairness, the hotel gave us 1 free parking for the trouble. Usually valet parking is around $40, so be aware ahead of time. That said, the valet attendants were incredibly nice and helpful - they even took trash from the car out of my hands to throw away so I didn't have to walk to the garbage. This hotel is not cheap and I'm not sure it's worth the expense for a general stay (I usually go for the best value), but it was still a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Corner rooms on the upper floors have a great (open, airy, and light) feel!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
WBostonAlison, Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Hi Abby5075!
Thank you for celebrating your friend's summer bachelorette at W Boston. We're thrilled to hear you enjoyed our theatre district location, and I'm so glad to hear it was a wonderful experience. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you're in Boston.
Alison
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Despite concerning reviews regarding service at this hotel, I was really interested in staying because of the W's great reputation and modern flare. I wanted to stay at this hotel over Christmas with my husband who has been working his fingers to the bone at his job and deserves a break and a few special days. I was interested in the Wow Suite and the Extreme Wow Suite - what names! Unfortunately, you have to call someone to get a rate and to book. There is only ONE person who can give you this information. This person is never available, never returns phone calls, and never returns emails - I know, because I have been trying for two weeks. I called two weeks ago, no response. Called last week. No response. Called again this week, politely mentioned to the clerk that I've been having trouble reaching someone to book a suite - she kindly apologized and gave me the woman's email address. I left a voicemail for good measure, in addition to the email request. It's been two full business days since my latest attempt, and still no response. I have stayed in the best hotels around the world, and although I usually use the Ritz for a sure-fire experience, I wanted to try the W for something sleek, fun, and sophisticated. This is not it. I still have no idea if I can even book a room, therefore I will be going somewhere else. I can only imagine this level of service extends throughout the hotel, because waiting longer than 24 hours to respond to a booking request is unprofessional, and unheard of at this level in the industry. Oh well.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SH20132013
Gurki S, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Hello SH2013,

I am sorry and there are no excuses for us dropping the ball in our follow up on your request for pricing for our premium suites. I assure you that we do not as a norm try to make it hard for our guests to book rooms with us and I am following up on our internal protocol to handle these requests going forward. I also want to thank you for considering us in the first place and while I am sure you have already secured accommodations , I would love to connect with you in person to see if you would reconsider. W is a 24/7 energetic, vibrant, electric getaway especially during the holiday season and I am sure that your husband and yourself will enjoy your stay with us. My email address is gurkirat.singh@whotels.com and I look forward to hearing from you.