“Wonderful long-term stay experiences” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of W Boston

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
W Boston
Ranked #27 of 83 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Wonderful long-term stay experiences”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

I've stayed at the W Boston nearly every week for two full years and have had wonderful experiences each week. To qualify my opinion a bit, I've stayed at most all of the Boston chain hotels (Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, etc.) and my experiences at W Boston have been far better than the others...so much so that I've brought 10+ of my coworkers to the hotel for long-term bookings as well, and all of them share my experiences.

The single greatest thing that sets W Boston apart from the others is their superb service. Every single person on the staff goes out of their way to accommodate us and make the W Boston feel like a "home away from home" - and they succeed! The staff makes it a point to know all of our names, they expedite our check-ins, upgrade our rooms, assist us with any general needs we have, etc.

Some true highlights of my experiences include:
-The concierge physically drove to my favorite bakery (atleast 20 minutes away) to pick up a surprise order my boyfriend had placed on my behalf then brought it to my room and set up a beautiful display in my room while I was working late at work one night
-Following a promotion (still don't know how they found out about it!) they celebrated me with surprise treats in my room
-I've thrown two different work cocktail parties at the W in the hotel bar/lounge and the service, attention to detail and food/drinks were fantastic - my coworkers tout them as our best work parties to date
-The hotel team goes out of their way to be accessible via e-mail, since I'm often in a rush early morning and don't have time to stop by the front desk…they are also always incredibly accommodating of any last-minute date changes or cancellations
-When I had surgery and was on crutches, the hotel went above and beyond - they helped me secure a car service to drive me to and from work, they delivered meals to my room and checked on me for loads of other conveniences - offered to bring me any water/snacks, offered to go to the post office for me, etc.

I read many of the lower-rated reviews and I will admit that I have had some bumps in the road - accidentally booked into an uncleaned room one time or an issue with the valet another, but for each of these, the hotel response was overwhelming and they went out of their way to correct the issues and ensure I was well-cared for. Everyone makes mistakes, and given the amount I travel, I think this is a pretty low frequency of issues!

Also, I noticed people commented about the rooms - the rooms have just been refreshed and updated in the past few weeks and they are fantastic!

MARKET (the hotel restaurant) did close, but they still serve breakfast (best hotel breakfast in Boston, I promise you that - I entertain coworkers before work for breakfast because it's THAT popular...most people jump for the salmon eggs benedict) and a full bar and room-service menu.

Highly recommend this property - there is no better service in Boston!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alexa P
GMGurkiSingh, Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Hi Alexa,
Thank you for your continued loyalty to W Boston over the past years. Your glowing review made my month! We appreciate it, and look forward to continuing to take wonderful care of you and your colleagues. As always, anything you need, just ask!
All the best,
General Manager, W Boston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Eaton, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

The staff was very helpful, room was very clean and lovely, location downtown Boston was perfect, close to everything. Would certainly stay at the W Boston again when we go to Boston next time. Thanks!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cassie2009
GMGurkiSingh, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Hi cassie2009,
Thanks for the great review! I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Boston. Hope you''ll have a chance to sample our new spring cocktail list in the W Lounge on your next trip!
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

This is a fundamentally average hotel, but only gets 2 stars because it's wickedly expensive and delivers very low value for money. There's a definite trend in Boston hotels (overpriced, poor quality) and SPG - despite being a hometown brand - seems to lead the way here.

I'm a SPG Plat, so I got the upgrade and very nice service at the front desk, but:

1. Beds are uncomfortable. Mine was lumpy, uneven, worn, poorly made and weirdly placed in the room.
2. Decor is kinda gross. This might have been cool in 2002, but puke pink walls, worn out furniture, strangely small bathrooms (the toilet literally required me to do a side-step to get into it), Aloft-style bed placement - ugh. And I had a SUITE. Can't imagine what a disaster a regular room might be.
3. Noise: The HVAC system, ice machine and hallway noise were enough to make it a tough night's sleep.
4. Restaurant: Ugh. Waited 25 minutes from the time I sat down in the am for breakfast and still no food. Slow service, only one waiter...it's like everyone is on vacation and somehow I'm the only person in Boston on business on a Tuesday am. :)

I might consider this a reasonable place to stay if I was on a hotwire rate, using discounted points, and/or it was 2005 and I had a low taste level. But now....not worth it.

Room Tip: Definitely don't stay in my top floor suite.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Hi gzicherm,
As an SPG Platinum guest, we thank you for your feedback. I’m truly sorry that you did not have an enjoyable stay with us. While I’m glad that you enjoyed your interactions with W Boston’s front desk team, you are absolutely correct that we need to accommodate a guest’s need to have breakfast within 20 minutes.
We generally receive good comments on our Breakfast Lounge, and your feedback has been shared with the team.
I hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future, and if you do, please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I can personally ensure that you leaved with a changed perception of W Boston. My email address is Gurkirat.singh@whotels.com.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014

Glad I did - travelling with my teenage kids on a recent trip to Boston. Usually stay at another hotel but decided to try this one which was just around the corner. Worked out very well - particularily thanks to the efforts of Alexander, who went out of his way to make sure we had a room that could accomodate us with suitable sleeping arrangements. Will definitely be looking to come back. Front desk and concierge were also very freiindly and helpful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMGurkiSingh, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Hi Bricker1965! Thank you for the great review. I look forward to welcoming you back soon -- hope you'll have a chance to sample our new spring cocktail list in the W Lounge the next time you're in town!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2014

Hi,

I'm currently staying at the W Hotel Boston for 2 nights. I've dreamt of staying here over the years and now that I'm back in Boston visiting for the weekend, I thought why not?

I booked a regular room with two beds for a friend and myself (2 night stay). I got lucky and booked through Hotwire so I could get a better rate.

When I saw it was the W Hotel as the "secret" hotel on Hotwire - I was ecstatic.

However, upon check-in, I felt that the front desk was very unorganized. The person who checked me in gave me the wrong room number. I went upstairs and my key wouldn't work. I went back downstairs and the guy had written down the wrong room on my card. This part was a bit ridiculous. How hard could it have been to check my room number before giving me the cards?

Upon entering my room I noticed that the decor was pretty edgy. The wear is noticeable in the bathroom though. Again, not luxurious. I'm a "details" type person and I noticed little things that were off: marks on the bathroom walls and dust on the counter.

The location is fantastic if you want to explore the heart of Boston. However, if you want my honest opinion, there are better hotels in Boston (for cheaper) that will give you TRUE luxury in the details and who will provide 100% better service.

Room Tip: Ask for the higher floors and if you can get upgraded.
Green Features: Very environmentally friendly. The person who checked me in asked me to join their environmentally friendly program to get additional star points. I joined - the one catch is you don't get your room cleaned by housekeeping.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Valerie M
Hi Valerie,

Thank you for your review! I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed our central location.

As a fellow "details person," I appreciate your feedback regarding your stay, and will share it with my team. I'd welcome the opportunity to connect with you directly regarding your experience -- would you be able to reach out to me directly at gurkirat.singh@whotels.com?

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

James and Matt (General Managers) as well as Jillian (Assistant Director of Welcome), Guillermo (Concierge) and especially Rita (housekeeper) have made our stay at the W in Boston one of the most extraordinary hotel experiences we've ever had.
Each in their own way moved worlds to be sure that we would have a memorable stay, including even the purchasing of a new board game that our 7-year-old could play.
This might sound like publicity hyperbole. It's not.
Seriously, we will leave Boston with a warm heart--and we can say that this tremendous good feeling comes from the kindness and generosity of those working at the W Boston.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMGurkiSingh, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Hi Lewis,
Thank you for an extraordinary review! It was our pleasure to welcome you + your family to W Boston, and our team looks forward to seeing you soon.
Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

My BFF and I flew to Boston to see a show at the Wibur Theater and stayed at the W. Wow! The staff really delivered on making it a special occasion for us (special thanks to Daniela and Guillermo). The location was perfect for walking and enjoying the city. We walked the Freedom Trail then spent some time in the Back Bay area. Even though it was cold and rainy Saturday night, we had many choices across the street for dinner. After dinner, we walked back across the street to the Wilbur. I'm looking forward to returning with my husband and spending some more time in Boston. Will definitely stay at the W again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMGurkiSingh, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Hi Mary H,
Thank you for the glowing review of W Boston! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed our theatre district location and took full advantage of the neighborhood. Hope you'll have a chance to sample our new W Lounge cocktail list the next time you're in town! I look forward to welcoming you back soon.