“Not What We've Come to Expect from the W Hotels”
Review of W Boston

W Boston
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Boston
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We were excited about adding another W hotel stay to our ever growing W experience. The property is located in the upscale Back Bay area of Boston. The exterior of the property was fairly non-descript as was the lobby. The lobby area is relatively small. Jamie at the lobby bar was exceptional. She provided excellent customer service and made my wife and I feel welcomed. On the second night of our stay, we were treated to inattentive service by the waitresses and uninspired, skimpy pours by the male bartenders. The restaurant and room service menu selections were extremely limited and we decided to dine elsewhere. Francine at the front desk was the true star of the operation. She was awesome and went out of her way to make us feel special. The male and female concierges was also very attentive to their duties as were the doormen. We will try either the Four Seasons or Ritz-Carlton for our next visit to Boston.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Blueloci
GMGurkiSingh, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Hi Blueloci,
Thank you for your thorough review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the service provided by Jamie and Francine, who go above and beyond to take care of our guests.
I have shared your feedback regarding your other Lounge experiences with the food and beverage team. I hope you will reconsider staying with us in the future, and if you do, please feel free to reach out to me directly so that I can personally ensure that you leaved with a changed perception of W Boston. My email address is Gurkirat.singh@whotels.com.
Gurki

994 - 1,000 of 1,722 reviews

Reviewed 15 May 2014

As with any W Hotel, you know it is going to look great, be funky, have nice touches (ambient noise generator in the room anyone?) etc. and this place certainly does. Stayed for 2 nights on business and used their meeting rooms for the workshop we were having. Food (breakfast and lunch buffets) was gorgeous, well presented and the staff very friendly. But I am sure it could be better. For example, the sound insulation of the windows isn't great - I was on the 7th floor and was woken by traffic noise. Service at breakfast was slow, even though it was quiet. We wanted to connect my laptop to the flat screen TV in the meeting room and it was going to cost an additional $250! Why does a small packet of potato chips in the room cost $6? If I have paid $15 a day for wi-fi internet access as a staying guest, why would I have to pay an additional $30 to access wifi from the meeting room? I know we're paying for the style etc. but this just sort of thing makes W come across as mercenary and rather cheap...

Room Tip: The higher the better! Get away from the traffic noise
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Hi Chipmeister,
Thank you for the review! I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed some of our Boston spins on the signature W touches.
I've shared your constructive feedback with our team. You may be interested in knowing that all upgraded room types come with free WiFi, and we are currently working on a sales package that includes meeting room AV (including that TV hookup), food + beverage, and room fees as an all-inclusive package.
I hope to welcome you back to W Boston soon, and ensure we take your stay from 4 stars to 5. Contact me anytime: gmgurkirat.singh@whotels.com.
Gurki

Reviewed 14 May 2014

The W has wonderful beds, nice clean rooms, a great location, and a very friendly staff. The lobby bar is known for good drinks and a upscale atmosphere- and it doesn't disappoint.

No noise problems in the room, everything was taken care of, and room service was quick with any needs we had.

Great spot.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMGurkiSingh, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Hi hoghey,
Thank you for your glowing review! I'm thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. We appreciate your insider tip on the "Make a Green Choice" program!
I look forward to welcoming you back to Boston soon.

Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

I travel a lot on business and usually don't review work travel hotels. Decided to write this review because of such poor service in breakfast restaurant. Order was wrong. Took forever to get coffee, place order and get check. Food was fine but service is terrible.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank RobAfrica

Hi RobAfrica,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As a frequent traveler, we appreciate your feedback, as we understand that the hotels that you stay at truly are your home away from home.
We generally receive good comments on our Breakfast Lounge, and your feedback has been shared with the team. I would appreciate the opportunity to connect directly regarding your restaurant experience, and get a better idea of your overall hotel stay. My email address is Gurkirat.singh@whotels.com, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

Probably the most eclectic hotel in Boston. Our room was decorated as good as the coolest hotels in NYC. The service was outstanding. Every staff member went way out of their way to make sure we were comfortable and all of our needs were met. The bar was fun but at 3 am I could still hear the bass of the music in our room on the 11th floor. The restaurant was another great experience. the staff was well informed and attentive. Staying at the W was the icing on the cake to my stay in Boston. I would definitely return.

Hi Boston13twin,
Thank you for the great review! I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed our vibrant design and service. The next time you're with us, I suggest an escape to Boston's only bliss spa, loacted on our mezzanine level -- it's a great way to unwind.
We're always here for you, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The W Hotel Boston turned out to be the smartest choice I could have made for my weekend trip. Right in the middle of the theater district and literally across the street from the Wang Theater.

I arrived very early and asked if I could check my bag while I walked around the city until check-in time. They very graciously told me my room was available and I was allowed to check-in three hours early! The staff members I was in contact with were genuinely interested in my opinions and comments.

My room was quite spacious -- sleek and modern, in shades of grey, black, and white. Spacious bathroom stocked with Bliss Spa products. An wide array of mini-bar items including shots of oxygen! I mean, where else are you going to find that? Along with all types of docking stations, a Bose audio system, there were the small things that made the stay comfortable, such as a nature sound machine next to the bed and a kaleidoscope on the desk just for fun!

But as a solo traveler, the two things I appreciated most had to do with security 1) the fact that at reception, your room number is NEVER spoken out loud. Your key is presented to you in a small folder and slid across the counter with the room number written on the underside. You would not believe how many high end hotels still announce your room number for all to hear. And 2) the elevators in the Lobby will not operate without inserting your room key. This was a real plus to me and will bring me back again for sure.

The only con I can think of is minor. I would have appreciated a booklet in the room detailing the location and hours of the bar, lounge, restaurant, spa, hotel policies, attractions within walking distance, etc.

Thanks for a wonderful weekend, W! I will be back on my next trip to Boston.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Hi DonnaD,
Thank you for your glowing review! With our urban location, guest safety and comfort is a top priority, and I'm glad to hear you appreciate our team's efforts.
If you liked the munchie box's O2 shot, I suggest trying bliss spa's Triple Oxygen facial on your next visit -- it's a whole treatment designed around infusing oxygen into the skin.
We're always here for you, and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

Just checked in and wanted to immediately review this amazing property! Book here right now! Don't delay! At this point, I have stayed in just about every medium to upscale hotel property in greater Boston and this is the best. There are 5 star properties in Boston and yet none of them come close to the W. Clean, modern, young, attentive to detail, and deals can be had via Hotel Tonight and others. Spotless in every part of the building. Plugs for iPhones and Android of all types. Free (I think?) internet. Bose soundlink with bluetooth. In the heart of the theatre and nightlife districts. Access to the MBTA on the red/green/orange/silver lines. Make a trip to Boston just to stay here. Book it now. What are you waiting for? Book this hotel!

Room Tip: As for a room that faces Downtown Crossing and not the South End because the views on that side are...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
GMGurkiSingh, General Manager at W Boston, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Hi Codydean,
Thank you for your wonderfully enthusiastic review! We are thrilled to have you with us. Complimentary internet is included with all upgraded room types of Fabulous and above, and also free in the W Lounge.
Hope to see you in the aforementioned W Lounge for a cocktail!