“A nice surprise”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The hotel is located in the historical Ames building right in the city centre, very close to different subway stations. The hall and the rooms are very nicely designed and furnished. The room was quite big and comfortable the wooden floor give it the extra look and sense of cleanliness.
The breakfast was included in the price and there was a very good a la carte selection. We just tried it in the morning, anyhow the restaurant and the bar were full of people in the evening: it would have definitely be worth trying its cuisine.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you so much! It seems like you had a lovely time with us! I would definitely recommend checking out Woodward for all meal periods...so yummy! Please come back soon, and contact me if you need any assistance with reservations

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Very friendly staff greeted me on arrival. My suite was spacious, modern and comfortable. Stunning city view, cozy lobby bar and excellent restaurant. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recommendation, and your review! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed all the aspects of our hotel. I hope you'll be back soon, and you can contact me if I can help making any reservations! Regards, Nina

Reviewed 13 January 2012

The Ames is located in a lovely, preserved, historic "skyscraper" from long ago in the perfect location (easy access from the Airport on the Blue Line). The Ames has managed a perfect blend of respect for history and while embracing all that is hip. The rooms are small (as is expected in a major city urban hotel) but thoughtfully laid out and thus don't feel cramped. There is enough room to do a little work or hang out without feeling claustrophobic. Beautiful linens, nice bath amenities - in short a lot of attention to detail that results in a room that is comfortable and chic. Don't miss the restaurant at Ames - Woodward, especially for excellent cocktails. (make sure you ask how it got its name. We were very entertained by a waiter during a quiet perior with the historic scandal!) I am so comfortable with the level of service that I often put clients there. Everyone I have sent there has loved the place. This is my new favorite Boston hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Wineknut

Wow!! This is fantastic! Thank you so much for your stay, your review, and for recommending us to your clients! Your description of the room is very thoughtful, and I agree with the comment about Woodward. The story is a bit scandalous! If I can help with making your future reservations, or those of your guests, send them my way! Best, Nina

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed at the AMES for 2 nights. We had a room on a high floor. We loved our room. It was wonderful. We also liked the restaurant and the bar. The stuff was very friendly. Thanks a lot guys. We had a nice stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

You are very welcome! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation with us, and that you got to spend some time in Woodward as well. Please come back soon, and if I can help with any future reservations you can contact me at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed here day before new years. Was nice. Looks like good hotel if I was working in downtown boston rooms are quaint. Probably not a family hotel. More for couples

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for your stay and your review! I hope you'll stay with us again, and feel free to contact me when you're back in Boston! Best, Nina

Reviewed 31 December 2011

We recently got Ames hotel through a priceline bid. We were a little nervous of how "fancy" the hotel looked since we were traveling with our 3 year old. The room was beautiful and very modern. We had a queen bed and we were upgraded to a king bed for free quickly since we had our daughter with us. The location was perfect for us. We walked to the aquarium, childrens museum, and fanuill hall within minutes as well as the T. The people at the front desk and the concierge are among the nicest and most helpful people I have encountered at a hotel. They quickly printed out directions for us and made dinner reservations. If I had to say anything negative the only thing I would say is that I could hear a lot of street noise at night even on the 7th floor but I don't sleep well anyway. My husband slept right through it. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Cal1019

I'm so glad we came through for you. Travelling with a child can be stressful, so I'm glad you had a smooth stay with us. Being able to walk to so many places is helpful also. Thank you for your coments about the staff! I hope you'll be back again, and I encourage you to contact me directly so that I can assist you with reservations!

Reviewed 28 December 2011

Centrally located in downtown Boston, the Ames is a true boutique hotel that offers a chic, intimate experience. My friend mentioned that the bar/restaurant downstairs was excellent, and I saw a great crowd of people there at a weekend.
Stepping out of a lift you see a carpeted, rather sophisticated hallway with a high ceiling. The atmosphere quickly reminds you that this is a boutique hotel in the sense that everything is dark and is reminiscent of nightclubs. When you open the door to your room, however, what you see is not a typical carpeted hotel room. In truth I felt like as though I was walking into someone’s apartment. The room I stayed in is furnished with elegant, minimalistic furniture and has a light hardwood floor and huge windows. The ceiling is quite high, as is the case with the hallway, and the view from my 8th floor corner room is not fantastic, but perhaps better than the most hotel rooms. The high ceiling and oversized windows certainly give the room a sense of openness. Below are some observations I would like to share with you:
- As you can see from my photos of the room, there is no bathtub, despite the large-size bathroom. It seems most rooms are only quipped with showers, some of which are considerate of guests with disabilities and children. Also, the front door has two peepholes for the same purpose.
- I stayed in November and without a pair of slippers it was very cold to walk barefoot on a bathroom floor. (I had the same problem at the Intercontinental in the neighbourhood.)
- There is a decent hair dryer in the room - powerful and emitting negative ion
- The lights in the bathroom are too dim, even with the dimming controls. You cannot apply makeup in the dark.
- Has a unique stock in the mini-bar, such as sleeping pills.
- Front doors are heavy thus the hotel needs to fix the door-slamming problem.
- Has a motorised shade control system
- The bed is quite comfortable
- The room is kept clean
- Has a heated towel rack

Prior to my trip, I read several reviews on noise complaints, so I emailed the manager Nina (nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com) and requested that my room be secured in the quiet part of the building. Thanks to her, someone who stayed on the 14th floor was annoyed by the noise but I on the 8th floor had no problem. My overall experience was so delightful that I ended up extending my stay for another night (my company was paying :p) and would come back to the Ames in future.

Room Tip: Email the manager and ask for a quiet room, and if you want a bathtub ask for that also.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank unbiasedadvisor

What a lovely description! You hit the mark on everything, but if I may add...we do offer bathtubs in some of our rooms. Slippers are available upon request, and we have added additional lighting to the corner rooms you were in. I do hope you'll be back again, and contact me as before so that I can take care of everything for you! I'm so happy thaty you enjoyed your stay!