“Not bad, but not memorable”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 16 January 2012

As locals, we were excited when we finally got a chance to stay here for a wedding. The hotel is actually in a beautiful historic building in Boston. Luckily we knew exactly where it was or never would've found it! If you're not familiar with the area, definitely use a GPS or get an exact location with landmarks. It's in a great location if you want to be in the financial district, historic area, Fanieul Hall area, and not that far from the waterfront.

Valet/bellman service when we arrived was neither friendly or helpful. The valet/bellman watched me struggle with a few bags and didn't offer to take more than the one he had. He basically dumped me off in the room without offering any information about the room and where things were located. Rooms were clean and beautiful, but very sparse and I thought, a little cold and uninviting. Bathrooms were roomy with nice products. I found it odd and a little off putting that there were no robes in the room...you actually have to call and get them from housekeeping!

Breakfast in the restaurant was superb! The food was outstanding, but the service again, wasn't friendly. Although this hotel was beautiful, the service is not up to the standards of this category of hotel,especially as pricey as it is.

• Stayed: October 2011
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with our arrival staff. As you can see from other reviews, service is something that is consistently praised, so I'm so sorry that was not your takeaway. I'm glad you were pleased with the cleanliness of the facilities, but I'm sorry that the design was not to your liking. I hope you'll give us another chance in the future, and if you would like to, please contact me directly so I can make the arrangements.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Spent three night at Ames while visiting on business. Arrived around 8pm via the T (Blue Line from the airport) from the State Street station right across the street. Was greeted by the doorman and the two staff at the front desk, who quickly got me on my way upstairs. Room was a superior king, and fulfilled all of my needs. Loved the rainfall shower! While I was on a higher floor, there was still quite a bit of noise at night, both from the street and from the other rooms. Not a real problem though. Ate at the Woodward one night, food was good. Hotel's location was also excellent, easy walk over to Fanuil Hall Marketplace. One tip when visiting Boston: make sure to go over to the North End and eat at one of the many Italian restaurants. I found it to be an easy walk, and the surrounding areas all seemed safe.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much! This is a great start-to-finish review. Excellent recommendation with the North End, by the way. It's such a great little neighborhood with so many fantastic choices. I hope business (or pleasure) brings you back to us, and if you need help booking your room please contact me at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com.

Reviewed 14 January 2012

The hotel is located in the historical Ames building right in the city centre, very close to different subway stations. The hall and the rooms are very nicely designed and furnished. The room was quite big and comfortable the wooden floor give it the extra look and sense of cleanliness.
The breakfast was included in the price and there was a very good a la carte selection. We just tried it in the morning, anyhow the restaurant and the bar were full of people in the evening: it would have definitely be worth trying its cuisine.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much! It seems like you had a lovely time with us! I would definitely recommend checking out Woodward for all meal periods...so yummy! Please come back soon, and contact me if you need any assistance with reservations

Reviewed 13 January 2012

Very friendly staff greeted me on arrival. My suite was spacious, modern and comfortable. Stunning city view, cozy lobby bar and excellent restaurant. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your recommendation, and your review! I'm so pleased that you enjoyed all the aspects of our hotel. I hope you'll be back soon, and you can contact me if I can help making any reservations! Regards, Nina

Reviewed 13 January 2012

The Ames is located in a lovely, preserved, historic "skyscraper" from long ago in the perfect location (easy access from the Airport on the Blue Line). The Ames has managed a perfect blend of respect for history and while embracing all that is hip. The rooms are small (as is expected in a major city urban hotel) but thoughtfully laid out and thus don't feel cramped. There is enough room to do a little work or hang out without feeling claustrophobic. Beautiful linens, nice bath amenities - in short a lot of attention to detail that results in a room that is comfortable and chic. Don't miss the restaurant at Ames - Woodward, especially for excellent cocktails. (make sure you ask how it got its name. We were very entertained by a waiter during a quiet perior with the historic scandal!) I am so comfortable with the level of service that I often put clients there. Everyone I have sent there has loved the place. This is my new favorite Boston hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor.
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Wineknut

Wow!! This is fantastic! Thank you so much for your stay, your review, and for recommending us to your clients! Your description of the room is very thoughtful, and I agree with the comment about Woodward. The story is a bit scandalous! If I can help with making your future reservations, or those of your guests, send them my way! Best, Nina

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We stayed at the AMES for 2 nights. We had a room on a high floor. We loved our room. It was wonderful. We also liked the restaurant and the bar. The stuff was very friendly. Thanks a lot guys. We had a nice stay!!!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

You are very welcome! I'm thrilled that you enjoyed your vacation with us, and that you got to spend some time in Woodward as well. Please come back soon, and if I can help with any future reservations you can contact me at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com.

Reviewed 1 January 2012

Stayed here day before new years. Was nice. Looks like good hotel if I was working in downtown boston rooms are quaint. Probably not a family hotel. More for couples

• Stayed: December 2011

Thank you for your stay and your review! I hope you'll stay with us again, and feel free to contact me when you're back in Boston! Best, Nina