“New Years Eve in Boston”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My wife and I decided to plan a last minute (about 4 days prior) trip to Boston for New Years Eve. I looked around a little until I found the Ames which was right in the middle of everything pretty much. The price was really not that bad considering how late I booked. I did not go through the hotel's website as it was about 100.00 more expensive than priceline. The room was very nice. It had cathedral ceilings which made up for the size of the room. The furniture was very nice and modern and despite some negative reviews about the bathroom I had read, it was nice and the shower did not make that much of a mess at all. We usually stay in Kimpton Hotels but I think we will definately switch to the Ames when in Boston. Warning, not a hotel for families or people that are light sleepers. My wife and I enjoy the sounds of the city but if you are sensitive to it then this will be a problem for you. Overall very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris B
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Happy New Year! I'm happy that you and your wife were able to ring in 2012 with us! Thank you for your stay and for your review. We'd love for you to become a more regular guest ;). If you need any help booking reservations in the future, please feel free to email me directly!

Reviewed 25 January 2012

Fantastic location for public transport. Close to the airport but fairly expensive cab trip due to Tolls.
When I left to catch my Acella train to NYC, I walked to the station
The hotel was basically a mini W hotel. Really good personal service with comfortable modern, but not overly modern rooms.
The restaurant in the lobby is BRILLIANT. The bar staff are true mixologists and the food is in one word, special.
I had 3 dinners and a breakfast there and each one was great.
A standout dish was a special appetizer of the night - Bone Marrow it was perfectly done. I asked the waiter to bring me something from the bar knowing what I was eating and asked that it not be beer or wine as the marrow is so rich it needs a cocktail. What he bought back was a crafted drink that had, amongst other things, Bourbon and a burnt orange twist.
The whole experience at that hotel showed an uncommon attention to detail.
I did the the Sam Adams brewery tour and was underwhelmed. I love the beer too. Namy people told me that the Harpoon brewery is a better tour.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 January 2012

The Ames is in a very good location. Faneuil Hall market is just a block away and Boston Common is only a few blocks away (less than 10 minutes walk).

The Hotel wasn't easy to spot. I had to pull the car over and check that I had the right location. Then you realise the Hotel is where you thought it would be. It just isn't obvious.

The doormen were always polite and friendly. When you walk in the front entrance, Reception is on the left and on the right you have a bar which becomes a popular nightclub in the evenings. It is quite stylish but the Reception area is a bit minimalist. I'm OK with it but it may not be to everyone's liking.

Our room was clean, modern and nicely designed. I was travelling with my wife and 2 young children so we had 1 room with 2 Queen beds in it. It was a tight fit.

The nightclub was busy and loud when we were there. We were on one of the higher floors so when we entered our room and closed the door, we couldn't hear the music. However, if you were to stay on one of the lower floors on a busy Friday or Saturday night and you are a light sleeper, you may have a problem.

This hotel is not really suitable for families with small children. My children are good travellers and the smallish room and loud music was not a problem for us. But it might be for other parents with small children. I wanted to stay at the Ames because (1) the location was good for me and (2) after reading the reviews of the hotels in this area, I was interested to see what the Ames was like. It is suitable for couples, and possibly younger couples rather than older couples. If I was staying with my wife only, I would consider staying at the Ames again. But if I had my children with me, I would look for something else.

I would also make a couple of points about value. While the Ames is a modern stylish hotel, it is obviously not cheap to stay there. If I was staying with my wife for 1 or 2 nights, I would consider staying there again but if I was staying for a week, I would look for something a little less expensive. The other point was about parking. The cost for parking was $42 per night. While the hotel may defend it and say that they are making very little profit on that, I can't recall paying $42 at any hotel I have stayed at. So again, on the high side.

Room Tip: If you are staying on a Friday or Saturday and you are a light sleeper, try to get a room on one of...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you tried us out and found out what works for you. I encourage you to come back with your wife for a weekend! A quick note about our parking; downtown Boston is incredibily expensive unfortunately. Our prices are in line with valet parking costs at other area hotels. I hope you'll try us again, and please feel free to email me in advance so I can handle your reservations!

Reviewed 23 January 2012

First, let me say that the Ames is one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. The room decor is very nice indeed, with clean white lines and brilliant use of the space. We booked a corner view room, and had a great view of the surrounding area. Also, the door staff were very friendly and helpful.

I would give this hotel 5 stars, but we were let down by a couple of things.. First of all, the restaurant - the service is very good indeed, but the food was somewhat lacking - my girlfriend order lobster, which was overcooked and swimming in butter, and our desserts were a little tasteless. Second, we found the staff on the main desk a little brusque in their manner, which made checking in and out a somewhat unpleasant experience.

Those issues aside, I would not hesitate to star in the Ames again, nor to recommend it to anyone visiting Boston on business or pleasure.

Room Tip: We booked a corner king room and were very happy with the selection. The hotel will offer you paid u...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

What a compliment! I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay! The corner rooms do have lovely views, and I appreciate your comments about the staff! I'm terribly sorry about your experience with the restaurant and front desk. That is very uncommon, and I apologize that you didn't have an a+ experience. When you come back, please email me in advance and I'll be happy to take care of your reservations myself!

Reviewed 19 January 2012

As seasoned travelers to Boston, I was unsure about this hotel at first. However, the location was so good, I could have put up with a few flaws. That said, there weren't many. The corner room was excellent, great city views from the spacious windows. The room was clean, sleek and very comfortable. Can't say enough about the bellman, who was very courteous and met us with a friendly smile every day. Location: right downtown near Fanueil Hall and the Market. So close to places like the Union Street Oyster Bar and Legal Seafoods you wouldn't believe. The restaurant is not bad, but there's so much around, it's probably better as a place for a nightcap.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank m1a2tanks

Excellent! Thank you so much! I'm glad we exceeded your expectations, and I hope that you'll come back again as it seems you're in Boston quite often! Please email me directly if you need help with booking!

Reviewed 16 January 2012

As locals, we were excited when we finally got a chance to stay here for a wedding. The hotel is actually in a beautiful historic building in Boston. Luckily we knew exactly where it was or never would've found it! If you're not familiar with the area, definitely use a GPS or get an exact location with landmarks. It's in a great location if you want to be in the financial district, historic area, Fanieul Hall area, and not that far from the waterfront.

Valet/bellman service when we arrived was neither friendly or helpful. The valet/bellman watched me struggle with a few bags and didn't offer to take more than the one he had. He basically dumped me off in the room without offering any information about the room and where things were located. Rooms were clean and beautiful, but very sparse and I thought, a little cold and uninviting. Bathrooms were roomy with nice products. I found it odd and a little off putting that there were no robes in the room...you actually have to call and get them from housekeeping!

Breakfast in the restaurant was superb! The food was outstanding, but the service again, wasn't friendly. Although this hotel was beautiful, the service is not up to the standards of this category of hotel,especially as pricey as it is.

• Stayed: October 2011

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm sorry that you had a negative experience with our arrival staff. As you can see from other reviews, service is something that is consistently praised, so I'm so sorry that was not your takeaway. I'm glad you were pleased with the cleanliness of the facilities, but I'm sorry that the design was not to your liking. I hope you'll give us another chance in the future, and if you would like to, please contact me directly so I can make the arrangements.

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Spent three night at Ames while visiting on business. Arrived around 8pm via the T (Blue Line from the airport) from the State Street station right across the street. Was greeted by the doorman and the two staff at the front desk, who quickly got me on my way upstairs. Room was a superior king, and fulfilled all of my needs. Loved the rainfall shower! While I was on a higher floor, there was still quite a bit of noise at night, both from the street and from the other rooms. Not a real problem though. Ate at the Woodward one night, food was good. Hotel's location was also excellent, easy walk over to Fanuil Hall Marketplace. One tip when visiting Boston: make sure to go over to the North End and eat at one of the many Italian restaurants. I found it to be an easy walk, and the surrounding areas all seemed safe.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business

Thank you so much! This is a great start-to-finish review. Excellent recommendation with the North End, by the way. It's such a great little neighborhood with so many fantastic choices. I hope business (or pleasure) brings you back to us, and if you need help booking your room please contact me at nina dot sweet at morganshotelgroup dot com.