“Noisy, minimalist boutique”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #40 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 23 March 2013

The hotel is well located for business. The room is very minimalist which is OK, but the hotel really tries too hard to be cool. Rooms are small. Normally, there is a great crowd and vibe here, the F&B is almost non existent. Nothing really wrong so far, but nothing really right. The major issue is the place is built over a subway or something like that. There is a very constant noise and/or vibration. Overall, a good location for business, but the rest is overhyped and be sure to bring ear plugs.

Room Tip: bring white noise machines or ear plugs
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
CateFarmer, General Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 March 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback.

Regards

Reviewed 22 March 2013

This was a great hotel experience. The rooms were very clean and well decorated. The bathroom was spacious with a large shower and towel warmers. The concierge was beyond helpful. Brian was wonderful in helping us navigate the city. The common areas were very nice and quiet. The building is full of history, so make sure to read about the hotel's past. The breakfast bar is healthy and full of choices. It truly was one of the best hotel experiences I have ever had. Great value!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have the best view and the upper floors are quieter. The train and traffic is slightly...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brandy W

What a wonderful review!

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We love to share the story of our building. It's nice to know you enjoyed hearing about our history! The staff really cares about making every guest stay unique and special. We are so glad you were able to enjoy the city based on our recommendations!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon. There is much more to see!

Regards

Reviewed 9 March 2013

Ames has terrific rooms; modern New York Style lofts and easy, clean ambiance; no big hotel fuss, but all you need. Been staying here a lot for business, love the rooms, but find their customer service 3 star at best. Hotel restaurant trying but a bit tired although seems to be new; slow service, menu so so. Arrived early for my trip this week, they wouldnt let me check in before 3PM without paying for the night before. Upon departure, needed a late check out; the helpless front desk clerk had to get the officious, patronizing "manager on duty" who let me know they could only let me stay till 1PM because bla, bla bla. That's it for me. Typical of a newer, second tier boutique hotel with young, unempowered management: penny wise, pound foolish. Stay here if you are on a fun Boston weekend. I dont think much here for a business customer who wants some loyalty and the occasional consideration from a hotel they give a lot of business to. Funny I was ready to write them a decent review...and it was as simple as this guy extending my check out till 2PM. People who travel a lot know what I mean; you can have nice rooms, but business travellers want more than that.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your review.

I am happy to hear you have enjoyed the design, location and amenities of the hotel but apologize if we failed to deliver the service you expected. We definitely care about meeting the needs of our many business travelers and most often do a very good job of understanding those needs and recognizing the loyalty of our guests. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and I am very sorry if we failed to let you know that your business was indeed valued.

Reviewed 8 March 2013

Oh, come on, people. This is not a well run hotel whatsoever. Starting with the young irresponsible valet parkers, one of whom I happened to have behind me in traffic on the way to the hotel, attempting to cut me off in traffic by nearly causing an accident! When I arrived at the property,imagine my surprise to see that valet parker directly behind me in the blue jeep that
came as close to causing an accident in Boston traffic that is every driver's worst nightmare, emerge and ask if I wanted him to park my car!

It goes on and on......I had requested a scent free room in a quiet location . Based upon the number of noise complaints I had read on this site. When I made my reservation, I was told I would receive a room on a "higher floor". Upon my arrival, I discovered, they had not done so. I was shown to a room on a higher floor that had a strong chemical cleaning odor. I was asked to wait until they could "specially prepare " a room for me to be scentfree. 90 minutes later, I was taken to a room on a higher floor that reeked of potpourri. ( I am allergic & asthmatic)The front desk person informed me that they use vacuum cleaners that distribute this perfumey scent
when rooms are cleaned. I had just waited 90 minutes while they "prepared a scentfree room " during which time they infused scent into the carpet !!!!! Excuse me? The front desk woman was robotic in response, as though that was not odd. She took me to another room, which reeked of mold. Then she said if I didn't mind having a "small" window, she showed me a room on the top floor that appeared to be a shipboard cabin, the window was so small, where she related " A lot of people don't like this room because it makes them feel claustrophobic." I was more concerned about the perfumey odor along the hallway, which would confine me to the room until I checked out. She showed me another room, which was mercifully and coincidentally scent-neutral, and promised she would not allow the cleaning crew to vacuum ( i.e. pollute the air with perfume via the hallway carpet) on that floor for the night I was there.

The dining experience was ridiculous. Hardly anyone there, took forever to order, my order was supposed to be an appetizer, the bartender had ordered the full size by mistake, apologized, took the charge off my bill graciously ( this all took an inordinate amount of time considering there were maybe 5 patrons there at most). Food was completely forgettable, tasteless fish'n'chips.

The rooms/hallways decor is industrial dark grey. My room had a long hallway that was simply a grey corridor with no decor whatsoever. In the bedroom area itself, all dark grey walls, no art.

Only upside, same comfortable bed as Morgans NYC. Apart from that, this property is not at all comparable to Morgans , where I had experienced a spectacular stay in January for a week. I cannot believe it is the same ownership!

In the morning, the continental breakfast was good, but the coffee appeared to be brown water and tasteless. One other person was complaining about it. the waiter said he never drank coffee,
but it looked alright to him! It was NOT BREWED.

At the front desk, I asked for walking directions to the location for which I was staying at Ames, because it is supposedly the hotel closest to that address. The front desk guy sent me to a completely different location and I ended up lost for 45 minutes. When I retuned and reported to him that he had sent me in the wrong direction to the wrong address, he said nothing. ( they have no concierge on Mondays, be forewarned.You'll be winging it, too, possibly with wrong directions.)

Two weeks later, I discovered that they had never removed the "hold" on the credit card I had used to hold the room. My bank had to remove iot from their end, this all took a half an hour.

I called their management at Ames, asking why they had not removed the hold, and was told " Oh, my, no that was a mistake." ...............Here was the worst mistake : Staying there!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank smithandzip

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We truly value your opinion and your comments will be shared with the team. We apologize that we failed to meet your expectations.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Great remodeling in the business district. Very modern room with hardwood floor. High ceiling. Large bathroom with glass wall. Very quiet. Absolutelty loved it. Breakfast was good .. great room to sip your tea and read the morning paper.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. I couldn't agree more---the second floor is such a lovely place to enjoy a cup of tea and read the newspaper! Glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

We recently stayed at the Ames during a major snow storm as we had to be near my fiance's building in case he got called in. The hotel was perfect. It's close to major attractions, boutique style and all of the staff was extremely friend and helpful. The gym had quite a bit of equipment in it too. We didn't realize they had an indoor pool and hot tub or we would have brought our suits. We at dinner in the restaurant and it was fairly pricey but I got a salad with grilled shrip and the shrimp was out of this world. I would highly recommend staying here. Another plus was they let us bring our two small dogs with us and everyone adored them!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review!

We are thrilled you enjoyed the design, amenities and staff of the hotel. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and for "braving the storm" with us. We look forward to welcoming you and the dogs back soon!

Reviewed 1 March 2013

Pros-The service was great. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Every time we wanted to go out and eat, they would happily tell us what restaurant or bar we could go to and not be disappointed. Our room was very clean. I was literally a 5 minute walk to Quincy Market & Faneuil Hall. Also, very close to the train system. You really don't need a car. You can either walk to many places, take a cab or take the train. We rented a car for 1 day and saw everything that wasn't close by and paid for parking one night and we were fine. Cons- Parking is expensive. I believe around $42-$45 with tip. Very loud at night. A lot of sirens passing by that area. The hotel is next to a Veterans shelter I believe and all they do is stand outside, talk and smoke. Just go the other way and you'll be fine. They talk very loudly in the morning. We stayed in room 510. So be prepared to hear people talking and yelling loud in the mornings. Lastly, the elevator is fairly small. It was pretty much the size of my shoe box. A little difficult if you have a lot of luggage like we did. Overall, amazing location, nice sized room, large bathroom, beautiful view, loud in the mornings, and there's a shelter next door. We had a great time though. :)

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review!

I am happy to hear you enjoyed the design, amenities and service at the hotel. Thank you again for sharing your feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back for a visit in the summer---we will have lots more great recommendations!