“Great location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #42 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Halifax, Canada
“Great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

Perfect location to get around downtown, excellent staff. The rooms are not soundproof so we did hear the subway as well as the couple in the next room. We were charged for a beer purchase after we left the hotel were told that it was a mistake and the charge would be reversed however we have yet to see the reversal.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Thanks for your review! Please contact us directly so we can follow up on that disputed mini-bar charge for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (231)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Ames on the Sunday night before the Boston Marathon. Overall it was just an expensive version of an ok place to sleep.

Out bathroom was nice and the location was mighty convenient for access to downtown Boston.

We were on the 15th floor which only has two small head-height windows so natural light is not a big feature. Corridor noise is very audible. The telephone was broken and the last person's peanuts were on the floor. I cannot remember a staff member's name or face. There is nothing else to do there except sleep.

If they are going to jack up room prices over an event weekend they should be held to a higher standard.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
We're sorry about the corridor noise, broken telephone, & small windows you had issues with during your stay with us. We hope you brought them to our attention so we could remedy them for you. Thanks for your review & we hope you give us another chance so we can make it up to you.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is my first TripAdvisor review. I normally consult TripAdvisor quite a bit and often lean towards their ratings. My wife and I have just returned home from The Ames Boston Hotel. We stayed four nights from Tuesday-Saturday. I was a bit hesitant after reading some of the more questionable reviews. My wife and I have also stayed in some very nice hotels in other cities. We were came to Boston to celebrate our anniversary, so we did have high expectations for our experience.

All that aside, The Ames Boston was one of the most pleasant hotel stays we have ever experienced. I read TripAdvisor quite a bit so I realize you are less interested in my story and more on my thought of what was good and bad, so here goes:

Pro's
- Location. Being first timers in Boston we had no idea where we should stay. As our week went on we realized that we could not have picked a better location to stay to try and see all of Boston. We literally walked every where we went except for when we visited Fenway. (actually thats not true, we forgot our map once, got lost, and pretty much walked to the park)

-The hotel vibe. I loved the vibe of the hotel. It felt old and contemporary. It was just kinda funky. I appreciated the nice touches.

-The people. Staff can make or break the hotel experience. I would like to highlight 3 particular people. First was the main concierge. When I spoke with him on the phone and he went above and beyond to make sure that we would have a pleasant stay. I feel certain that we received a room upgrade. It was the same size as the other rooms but it was on the corner and had beautiful city views. It also was on the 14th floor so we experienced NONE of the issues previous people were complaining about regarding subway noise. I am sorry I cannot remember his name because I feel he should receive proper credit. The second person was a man at the front desk known as Dana. When we came in on Tuesday it was raining and he spent several minutes talking with us giving his opinions on Boston. He along with the valet Giovanni gave us some excellent tips on the city. (Hit up the Barking Crap for a naked lobster roll). Again, all three of these men were simply doing their job, but I want to mention them specific because in a world when people are constantly coming and going, it's good to get a little recognition. It may not mean much to them, but they helped make our anniversary trip all the more special. We left so early in the morning I was not able to tip them. Overall, I found Bostonians to be very pleasant people.

Con's

- Tub has no bathtub (I don't care about this but others may)
- Elevators are small

Final verdict:

If I ever get the opportunity to come back to Boston the Ames will be my first pick of places to stay and I will encourage anyone visiting Boston to do look at them as well.

Furthermore, I am dumbfounded with some of the reviews I have read in the last few months on the hotel. It is a GREAT hotel. The only reason I wouldn't give it 5 stars is because I rarely give anything five stars. There is always room for improvement right?

Room Tip: High floor room and on the corner
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your wonderful review. We will certainly let Charles our Concierge, Dana, & Giovanni know what a great job they're doing. Also, if you're looking for a bathtub next time let us know as we do have some available upon request. Thanks for staying with us & we hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Across from the Old State House, this hotel puts you right in the heart of things. We walked or rode the T everywhere. The rooms are sleek, sexy and fun. The staff is very helpful. You do have to order ice but they are very prompt. Filling the empty restaurant space would be a plus. There are, however, so many restaurants within blocks that it didn't matter to us. We enjoyed our stat!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you so much for your review. We do hope to have a restaurant up & running soon. We hope to see you again when we do!
Falmouth, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed at the Ames for one night only, but it was a great stay. The staff was friendly, the location was superb, and the rooms were very modern, and clean. The rooms are a bit on the smaller side, but our view, from the floor to ceiling window was great. Loved the shower too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. Thanks for the review & we hope to see you again soon!
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Took a weekend trip to Boston for our daughter's track meet. We wanted to stay close to Quincy Market- so this hotel was perfect for walking to the shops and restaurants. Since it was the beginning of March, it was still cold, but there was no snow around, so we were still able to enjoy walking around the historic area of Boston. The Ames is a nice small hotel- immeidately across from the old church in downtown Boston- which was nice to see out our window. The room was spacious and very nicely decorated. The layout was a bit different,with a long hallway to enter the room - but still very nice with high ceilings which added to the spaciousness. The bathroom was modern with glass and tile and a heated towel rack which was a really nice bonus. It is laid-back and you might actually miss the doorman because he is dressed in casual clothes- but still very helpful and nice. It was quiet in our room - which we much appreciated since staying in the city can sometime not be so quiet. There is no restaurant in the hotel- but there are plenty of choices in the Quincy market or very close - so finding breakfast or dinner choices was a matter of picking what you wanted. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel and would do so again myself if I was in Boston again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
We're incredibly happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you so much for your review & we hope to see you again soon!
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

Great historic boutique hotel. Close to historic Boston and North Boston (great Italian area with lots of places to eat) AND the subway station (only three stops from the airport). Staff was extremely helpful. The only small thing was that there wasn't a lot of hot water in the mornings…

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ramen67
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 5 April 2014
Thanks you so much for your review. We're sorry you had trouble with hot water during your stay. We hope to see you again & we can make it up to you. Thanks for choosing to stay with us!