“Nice & convenient, but with issues”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #42 of 84 Hotels in Boston
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I had to travel to Boston on business and all I my usual spots were booked. Since I've had good experiences with small, boutique hotels in the past I decided to give this a try. My overall impression is that this is a nice hotel which is convenient to Faneuil Hall and a T line, but the noise outside made it hard to relax.

This is a somewhat hip hotel with modern rooms and touches. However, being that the building it's in was completed in 1889 there are flaws. 1.) it took some time to get water to come out of the shower, but once it came out it was strong and hot. 2.) these probably aren't the original windows, but they let in a lot of noise. There was construction going on around the block (Government Center perhaps) and I could hear dump trucks and jackhammers into the wee hours. Plus the walls are relatively thin and the lady in the room next to me was having a very interesting conversation that I could hear clearly.

I had the continental breakfast once, but really missed something heartier. What was offered was good, but a hot breakfast would have been better. It looks like the restaurant used to be a bar. I don't think there is a bar onsite, but that shouldn't be a problem in downtown Boston. Can't stumble 4 steps without running into a bar.

The location is very convenient to a T line - the State Street station is right across the street. This brings me back to this hotel being in an 1889 building. I could tell when the T was running because you could feel the vibrations and the distinct sound of a train on tracks. I was up on the 6th floor and could feel and hear it. When I ate downstairs for breakfast I could really hear it.

If my usual places are booked I would probably stay here again. Don't think this would be appropriate as a romantic getaway, but it is good enough for a short business stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Thanks for your review. We're sorry you experienced construction noise during your stay. Unfortunately, the city doesn't usually let us know when they're doing construction unless it is going to be right outside our door. We do provide earplugs in all rooms as a courtesy. Thanks for staying with us & we hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton

Reviewed 30 April 2014

Let me start by saying that I did enjoy my stay here. The customer service was excellent but:
The lack of signage (some shadowed lettering on two or more windows easily obscured by traffic) made it very hard to find although the valet parking worked well.
The room was a bit confusing as it was so trendy. The standard lamps worked if you twisted one end of the chrome housing - pity no one told us. The TV socket had become loose and working out the phone to call room service was a challenge but the radio/ipod player was a nice touch.
The bottles of toiletries were tiny as were the towels but the shower was powerful and hot.
There were no facilities to make tea or coffee but when I called room service they brought me my own kettle and supplies and never charged for it.
The bathroom was spacious but I was confused by the bin liner with a picture of a 1950s pin up girl.
Some of the complimentary toiletries weren't really that gender neutral and Husband still smells like he's been rolling in the flower beds.
The wifi worked excellently and no device limit and the quality of sleep was excellent. It wasn't cheap but it was fun - especially trying to understand the artwork in the main lobby.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review. Due to our historical building designation, we aren't allowed to put a big flashy sign outside the hotel unfortunately. Thank you for staying with us & we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

Let me start by praising the outstanding location of the hotel, close to tourist, shopping, and the business district, with all four of the T lines within a short walk. The bed is very comfortable, the large flat-screen TV has a broad choice of channels, the plumbing works, and the included WiFi is reliable and reasonably fast.

But my room felt as if it was designed by someone who had never stayed in a hotel room. With the notable exception of NYC's Hudson Hotel, I have never seen a room that encompassed more bad design decisions. There's one chair in addition to the mesh-backed office. It's basically useless -- if you sit on it with the pillow, it's uncomfortable; if you remove the pillow, the depth of the seat is far too long for someone under 2m tall. The chair is also on the same wall as the TV, so even if it were comfortable, one couldn't sit there to watch TV. Even worse, there is no lighting in that corner to make it possible to sit there and read a traditional paper or book. There's a standing modern "light" between the table/desk and the chair, but it throws off less light than the average kerosene lamp.

The bathroom is even worse. You have to walk into the shower to turn on the shower and thus get wet before you can adjust the water temperature. There's no way to prevent water from running out of the shower onto the floor, so you step out of the shower onto a very wet bathmat or a very wet floor. Finally, there's no towel rack in the shower stall (or anywhere in the bathroom for that matter), so you have to hang your towel on the hook of the bathroom door, where you might normally hang the clothing items that you would put on after drying off.

I could go on, since these are not the only design problems. Key question: would I stay here again? Maybe, just for a night. But the design issues are significant annoyances that increase with time, and reflect a cluelessness on the part of the hotel management as to what makes a hotel room into an excellent user experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

We're sorry you didn't like the design of our rooms. Coincidentally, our hotel was opened & designed by Morgans Hotel Group with also operated the Hudson Hotel in New York. Thank you for staying with us & for your review, we appreciate it.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

at the moment i do not recommand this hotel. we had the feeling, the hotel is without leadership...restaurant and bar is closed, the room is nice, but not really clean, the room service dosnt clean it up well, some dirt you will find every day, dust and hair will not be cleaned, breakfast is poor, no espresso, only regular coffee, in the gym the bike didnt work. it is such a beautiful building, but bad maintained. something changed here....i will not return, espacially for the price

Room Tip: higher floor
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

We apologize for the various issues you had throughout your stay. Our restaurant has been closed since last July, but we hope to reopen it with a new concept soon. All of our rooms are cleaned and then inspected by a manager, so there shouldn't be any issues with cleanliness & we're incredibly sorry you found your room unsatisfactory in that regard. We feel your stay was atypical, so please contact us directly if you return to the city as we'd love to make it up to you.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I am giving them 3 stars due to location, and friendliness of staff during check in and departure. They were friendly, helpful, and very nice to deal with.
We stayed at the hotel one night mid week. We got a decent price ($250) through hot wire, so we did not pick the hotel based on name, just location. It is very convenient to Quincy Market, Boston Common, the T, etc. It is a boutique hotel, considered modern isn style; black and white rooms,etc.
We were charged another $30 at check in for two double beds, though I had specified two beds with hot wire. I did not want to argue, and just paid it as I did not want to have to share a queen bed with my teen who is a "mover" when she sleeps.
There was construction that week at night, and a note was left on the desk in our room to state this; no one at the desk said this. The note said there were complimentary ear plugs as well. But there were none. Luckily I have my own and it was fine. The rooms have tile near the doors, so noise travels easily into the rooms. It wasn't overly loud, common hall noise in a hotel but the tiles did not help. We were on the 14th floor and had great 14 foot ceilings and windows. There was not a view though, except of a 30+ story building across the street. Again, I did not pay for the view, just the location so I knew it may be undesirable.
On departure, we had to wait over 20 minutes for our car to be brought around. I know it is the city, but don't say it will be ten minutes and then leave us waiting.
Once home, I realized they charged us 3 different amounts, only 1 which I approved. When calling the hotel, they say that they take a $75 charge for incidentals, which they never explained at check in. I know some hotels do this, but they need to explain this at check in. You do not run a business on service and then charge things randomly to cards without letting the cardholder know. Then they also charged me for two other amounts, an $81 one was also not approved by me, which they say they do not know what that is as it was not showing up on their computer. Finally they did charge me the $42 for overnight parking.
48 hours after check out, all of these charges are still on my card. They say it is due to my bank, and that they are sorry for the inconvenience, and that they hope it is cleared up soon.

Overall, there is nothing spectacular about this hotel to put it in a 4 star range. A nice bellhop and 1 woman at the front desk is the only reason they are getting 3 stars.

Room Tip: no pool. Not a hotel for kids under 10. great location, which is it's saving grace. ask for a ro...
2  Thank colleend24
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

We're sorry that your bank didn't release the incidental authorization in a timely manner, but as explained on the phone we released it as soon as you departed. Credit cards tend to be released immediately while your bank may take a couple of business days to release any pending authorizations to a debit card. We take a $75 authorization per day for incidentals & authorize additional amounts based upon usage (In your case it was the parking & the upgrade fee for the upgrade from the standard room you booked on Hotwire to the Superior Double-Double you requested) We're sorry if this wasn't explained to you clearly. We also apologize for the wait for your vehicle. While we do try & give estimates, as it states on the valet ticket itself it may take up to 20mins to retrieve your vehicle. Thank you for staying with us & we appreciate the review.

Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Great location near North send, Quincy Market, Boston Harbor, Downtown Crossing and The Common. But thin walls and non-double paned windows do not make foe a restful sleep. Our neighbors were laughing and talking loudly until 4 am and the garbage trucks outside kept us awake as well.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thanks for your review! We're sorry you had issues with noise during your stay. We hope you brought it to our attention during your stay so we could remedy it for you by offering you a room away from the street and asking your neighbors to quiet down in the middle of the night. Thanks for choosing Ames & we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Perfect location to get around downtown, excellent staff. The rooms are not soundproof so we did hear the subway as well as the couple in the next room. We were charged for a beer purchase after we left the hotel were told that it was a mistake and the charge would be reversed however we have yet to see the reversal.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Thanks for your review! Please contact us directly so we can follow up on that disputed mini-bar charge for you.