“Very modern and beautiful in a great location”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Canmore, Canada
“Very modern and beautiful in a great location”
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I loved my stay at this hotel! It is a beautiful historic building in a great location for tourists- so many things are within easy walking distance (the harbour ferries, restaurants, parks, shopping etc). I heard that on the lower floors people can sometimes hear the subway, but as we were on an upper floor, noise of any kinda was not a problem so be sure to ask about this. The breakfast menu (which is not included in the hotel price) is only continental- I prefer a larger selection including warm meal options. Normally, I wouldn't have mentioned this but it is very difficult to find a place for breakfast in downtown Boston (which is VERY strange). The only thing I really missed is a swimming pool and/or a hot tub which to me is an important factor in selecting hotels- but sadly, these are often missing from many older downtown hotels. Rooms are wonderfully modern in my favorite minimalist/clean lines style. Even the provided shampoo and conditioner is amazing. The hotel staff, as pleasant and inviting as they were, forgot to send up a second bath rob after we asked them but it turns out we didn't really need it in the end so we didn't remind them.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper level to avoid possible noise. Plan and search ahead of time for a breakf...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review! If you're looking for a full breakfast next time, swing by the desk & we'll be happy to point you in the right direction. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (246)
  • Turkish first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 13 July 2014

This was my second stay at the Ames Hotel Boston. I can only repeat what I wrote in the first review: very friendly and helpful staff, spacious, clean, and quiet room, great central location, excellent value for money and highly recommendable. I like the style of the hotel, the bright design, the non-stuffiness of the rooms.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for staying with us & for the wonderful review, we appreciate it!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed 3 nights and just came back. We couldn't have been happier. The room was elegant, stylish and comfortable. This is boutique hotel rooms at their best and contrary to many boutique hotel properties, we had lots of room. The service was available and quick to respond and acknowledge but never in our face.
You simply can't beat the location as a central home base. Every T line is close and you can easily walk to all the Freedom Trail sites, the North End and Beacon Hill's sites. The Back Bay and South End are a quick few stops down the T. Truly couldn't have been better...
We wished all hotels had the warm sophistication of the Ames. Very highly recommended...

Stayed July 2014
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us & for the wonderful review, we appreciate it. We hope to see you again soon!
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Booked the Ames for five days. Wanted a hotel close to the sites Boston has to offer and this place checks out. Upon arriving, we had the door open for us (yes, they have a doorman), concierge/front desk was prompt and efficient. By the way, when you walk in and before you make a left look up. The room was a deluxe king and it's the size of a small studio apartment. Open the closet you will find a sturdy and bright orange umbrella, fridge, microwave and safe as well as other things for purchase. The bathroom was spacious (look in the trash bin for some art). Breakfast is available for $15; however, we booked the rise and shine package that gave us vouchers everyday of our stay. The selection is simple: muffins, croissants, yogurt, cold cereal, etc... As for proximity to sites, across the street and above the orange line metro (T) stop is the Old State House, round the corner and you're at Faneuil Hall. Close proximity to Freedom Trail, Boston Common, and TD Garden (15 minute walk up Congress Street). Staff is beyond friendly.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Craig B, Front Office Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 9 July 2014
We're so happy you enjoyed your stay with us & our location. Thanks for your review as well, we really do appreciate it. We hope to see you again the next time you're in town!
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Ames Boston Hotel should be your top choice if you want to explore Downtown Boston! Providing great service and comfortable room, the hotel is located right across from a MBTA station under Old State House and is only a minute away from Faneuil Hall.

I stayed here for three nights and was glad that I chose Ames. The hotel was so conveniently located that I could easily backtrack to my hotel to either take a shower or drop off something without impeding my downtown exploration. The hotel location was terrific!

The room itself was also nice. Although the room was not as spacious as other 3-4 stars hotels, Ames still provides all the accommodations that you need to have an enjoyable and comfortable stay. Don't expect a top-notch business center or fitness room though.

What won me over however was the service. I reserved this hotel under my name for a family vacation, but I got stranded in Pittsburgh because my flight was cancelled. My mom and sister were already in Boston because they flew from Houston. I explained my situation to Ames on phone, and the front desk receptionist switched the reservation name to my mom without hesitation so my family could check in without me! I wasn't able to enter Boston until 2 AM, so if Ames wasn't so accommodating, my mom and sister may have been roaming in the Boston streets for the whole day!

The location was splendid. The room was comfortable. The service was spectacular. I don't see anything to complain about Ames Boston Hotel, so I have high confidence that you too will enjoy this hotel if you are traveling to Boston for an adventure like me!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for staying with us. We're glad we were able to help you out by changing the name on your reservation as well. Thank you so much for the wonderful review & we hope to see you again soon!
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed 3 July 2014

It was not all that easy to find the entrance to this excellent hotel. On the second try we succeded and received a warm welvome. The room in the 6th floor faced the street but had very good sound proof windoes. So no disturbances by outside noise. Breakfast was not included. Nevertheless it was offered on the ground floor as a complete self-serfice meal. for roughly 15.-US$ including taxes this was an excellent deal. From fresh fruit plates to smoked salmon and breads and croissants everything has been offered except hot dishes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wama10
Thank you so much for staying with us & for the review. We do have plans to install an awning soon to make us even easier to find. We'll be looking forward to seeing you next time you're in town!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Beautiful modern design rooms with a historic flare. Customer service is top notch, they make you feel like you are a very important person. For being in a city the rooms feel very spacious. The location can't be beat, very close to all the amazing Italian restaurants of the North End, the wharf, Faneuil Hall. Would stay here again for sure!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for staying with us & for the wonderful review. We hope to see you again soon!