“Very nice hotel stay-somewhat expensive...”

Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Boston
Baltimore
“Very nice hotel stay-somewhat expensive...”
Reviewed 23 September 2010

Very nice hotel stay-somewhat expensive but definitely upscale. Nice bar and service was very good.

• Stayed September 2010
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 6 October 2010
Thank you for your review! I’m glad you enjoyed your stay with us and had a good time in the bar. Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com if you are ever in the Boston area!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
  • Turkish first
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 22 September 2010

We worked with hotel manager Nina Sweet and she was wonderful!

Our stay with you was fantastic! We loved Boston and the hotel; what a great location the Ames has. Thank you so much for all of your help and for the goodies that were delivered to our room for our birthday.

Once we arrived we were upgraded to a wonderful corner room which we appreciated so much. Thank you again very much for such wonderful hospitality, we will be back soon and sending along the hotel’s information to all of our friends.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
It was my absolute pleasure working with you as well! Thank you so much for your stay and for your review. I hope we’ll get to welcome you back for your next birthday as well! Please feel free to email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com if you ever need anything in the future!
Newcastle
Reviewed 17 September 2010

Excellent hotel was upgraded on arrival to a lovely room location excellent for Boston Harbourside and Freedom Trail

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Wonderful! I’m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we were able to upgrade you. I hope you had a blast enjoying Boston, and I hope that we get to welcome you again! Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com for your next visit!
Alabama
Reviewed 14 September 2010

The Ames Hotel in Boston is a fabulous treat in a beautiful city. You cannot beat the location of The Ames, which is a 5 minute walk from Quincy Market, a 10 minute walk to the best cannolis in the world (outside of Italy) at Mike's Pastry in the North End, and a 2 minute walk to the Government Center T station. The staff goes above and beyond the call of duty to meet your every need and request (special kudos to Nina Sweet and Charles at the concierge desk). The rooms are decorated with a fun modern flair and are comfortable in every respect. Did not have any problem with outside noise from the street. The price is very reasonable for a room, and The Ames does offer a AAA discount. I would certainly stay at The Ames again and highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
Thank you so much! I love our hotel being referred to as a “treat”. Aren’t the cannolis at Mike’s out of this world? Next time you will have to compare and contrast them with Modern Pastry (my personal favorite). I’m so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and explored all that Boston has to offer. I hope that you will come back again soon! Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com!
Saint John, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2010

I had never heard of the Ames Hotel, nor the Morgan Hotels when I booked at Ames in Boston.

It was a totally satisfactory experience in all regards.

Staff were great, room was great, excellent bathroom, and several interesting touches that I had not seen before such as back to back TV's for living area and bedroom. Great ideas!!

Staff were excellent.

We will stay here again.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review! How wonderful that you found us and loved us. We put a lot of thought into the design of our rooms and it makes me happy that you found them to be interesting touches. Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com when you are returning again!
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 12 September 2010

we stayed at the ames for 2 nights and got pretty much what we were looking for. if you have been to one shrager hotel you know them all ;-). rooms have a good size and are well equipped. nice bathrooms - if you like the "shower in the window" thing so many design hotels consider contemporary. unfortunately no free wifi but there is a starbucks just around the corner. the bar is hip so very crowded at night. the location is absolutely perfect, right there on freedom trail. we liked it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
NinaSweet, Manager at Ames Boston Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, responded to this review, 12 September 2010
I’m so glad you liked us! Thank you for your review and your stay! If you ever come back to the States and to Boston I hope you’ll email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com so I can take care of your booking!
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 3 September 2010

Unlike most reviewers, I am not sure if the location is the best thing about the Ames Hotel. It is located in a tight area with heavy people\vehicle traffic and it is right beside a homeless center [not shelter, I think] where you see homeless people coming in and out or hanging around. It is walking distance to most points of interests and close to 2 T-stations but so are many hotels in the various Boston districts. There are not many restaurants nearby but there are many fast food places. It is not an ideal hotel for families but convenient for young singles or couples.

The décor is modern and the rooms have a minimalist look. It does have a distinct style that is very appealing. The wooden floors really does adds to the room’s appeal. The bed was excellent and linens were top quality. The flat screen tv is large and had HD channels but there were too many sports channels. The room did not have a brochure or info booklet about the hotel so I did not know if there were a fitness center or a business center, phone numbers to services, what is extra or complimentary. I did find out, after I left, that some of the info can be found on one of the TV channels.

It was really hot during August and the air conditioning didn’t seem to work on certain days but it didn’t bother me much. Sometimes the hot water was just luke warm. I just attributed these to the age and structure of the building. Even though the hotel went through a renovation recently, the room I stayed in had a lot of scuff marks and some of the bathroom fixtures doesn’t seem to last long.

High rates and opulence usually goes hand in hand but for a minimalist boutique hotel with high rates might not, in these economic times. Even though it was unique, the whole experience is a bit lessen by the exclusion of little things that costs almost nothing and matters to guests such as the morning newspaper, free wi-fi, ice\coffee maker. Still, it was a good stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you had a good stay, even if the location didn’t seem right for you. Just a few minute walk in any direction from the hotel puts you in a different area with several options for dining and sightseeing in each one. For example, the waterfront and the New England Aquarium are just at the end of the street (about a 5 minute walk). If you go in the other direction, a 5 minute walk will bring you to Boston Common along the Freedom Trail.

I’m happy that you liked our design. I think the wood floors are so unique and love how airy it makes the rooms feel. As you mentioned, we do not have a traditional information book in our rooms, but we do offer a Hotel Directory on our televisions. Please email me at nina.sweet@morganshotelgroup.com if you are ever in Boston again, and I’d be happy to personally handle your reservations!