“Stayed at the 1863 for the first two games of 2013 World Series”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The 1863 House Bed and Breakfast
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
“Stayed at the 1863 for the first two games of 2013 World Series”
Reviewed 30 October 2013

On the spur of the moment - when Boston beat Detroit to get into the 2013 World Series, my husband and I decided to go to the first two games of the World Series which were in Boston. Lodging was impossible to find. All the area hotels were booked. So, I started working my way down through Bed and Breakfasts. Miracle of miracles, the 1863 had a last minute cancellation so we were able to get in.

We LOVED it! Jane and Ben are awesome. Jane even worked with our ticket broker on Series ticket delivery. The location is ridiculously convenient: Easy walking distance to downtown, a mile and half from Fenway, spectacular South End restaurants within three blocks, etc.

Two things that folks might have concerns about were not an issue for us: Our room was on the 3rd floor - a bit of hike up the stairs. But not a major problem at all. The shared bathroom arrangements worked absolutely fine.

Jane and Ben's B&B has now become our go to place when visiting Boston. A tremendous value and a ton of fun.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was my first time ever staying at a Bed and Breakfast visiting a new city. I was very nervous about what to expect. From the moment I walked in, I felt so comfortable here. Ben and Jane took time to show me the map of Boston, how to get around, and where I could find some entertainment in the town. They were such great hosts. The house is beautiful. It's a 4 story home with so much charm and beauty. The bedroom I stayed in was on the top floor with a double bed. It was quite spacious and everything was really clean and organized. I had the freedom to come and go as I pleased without any restrictions.

The "T" (train) and the Amtrak was within walking distance, no more than a 7 minute walk. In addition, the house was located near a "happening" street (Tremont) full of yummy restaurants. I loved the area. I felt safe walking around.

Ben and Jane were so thoughtful and helpful. I share with them that I was going whale watching and they were so kind to not only give me stuff to help prevent me from getting seasick, but they also offered me binoculars and a wind breaker so that my whale watching trip would be the best it could be.

Breakfast was simple but good. Cereal, oatmeal, fruit, croissants, yogurt, etc. Ben and Jane did a great job ensuring that our drink of choice (coffee, water, juice) was available and ready for us first thing in the morning.

I highly recommend staying with Ben and Jane. They are such down to earth people who are the true definition of generous hospitality. If and when I return to Boston, I plan to come back and stay with them.

Just somethings to note about the room:
The house is quiet so if you're a light sleeper you will hear everything, including the creaky floors. Also, the room didn't have any extra outlets which made it challenging for me to charge my phone or iPad. There weren't any outlets next to the bed, so I had to keep my phone on the desk away from the bed.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
BnBBay, Manager at The 1863 House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
We are glad our guests enjoyed their visit and have added a surge protector for extra plugs for the many mobile devises we now engage in.
Jane & Ben.
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed 6 October 2013

This turned out to be the perfect place to stay in Boston: The location is excellent, right next to the South End part of Tremont St with its nice restaurants and within easy reach of both the city center and the MFA - by foot! Moreover, Jane and Ben are the nicest hosts ever and really made us make the most of our visit to Boston. The room was also in excellent condition, quiet and beautiful.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 September 2013

My wife and I traveled extensively for 30 years, and the 1863 House was the best place we have stayed. We were in Boston for a sightseeing and house hunting trip for five days. We wanted to be in a B&B between South End and Back Bay so as to learn more about the neighborhood and still have easy access to the trendy restaurants and popular sights nearby. We had a great experience because of the excellent location of the 1863 House, and because of Jane and Ben’s generosity and patience in directing us to all the new or important places to visit. Jane and Ben are both wonderful hosts. We look forward to visiting Boston again soon.

Houston, Texas
Reviewed 20 August 2013

Based on Tripadvisor recommendations of 1863 House, and price, our family of 4 decided to book at this B&B and were not disappointed. The B&B is a 4-story house in a great part of town - about a 10 minute walk to the subway and walking distance to a lot of restaurants and shops.

Upon arrival, Ben and Jane made us feel welcome into their home, sitting us down with water and giving us a little history of Boston and immediate area. Much more intimate than a hotel that just gives you a key! We booked their 2 rooms: one with a queen bed for us adults and the other room had another queen bed, but Jane was gracious enough to have an inflatable mattress so each kid had their own bed. The 4th floor has a spacious full bathroom that both rooms share. Both rooms and bathroom (and whole house, for that matter) was very clean, fresh linens and large towels.

Continental breakfast was included - coffee, tea, freshly-squeezed orange juice, cereals, and alternating days between croissants/muffins/bread. Limited, but understandably, it is difficult to plan breakfast for only 4 people you don't know. The breakfast filled us enough to get to lunch and was a nice way to begin the day.

You get house keys and are free to come and go as you please - Ben and Jane made it clear that we were guests and treated us like royalty. When we first arrived we felt like we were intruding on their daily routine but by the 3rd night we were more comfortable, especially since we were only at the B&B to sleep and didn't 'hang out' at home (and Boston is beautiful, we were walking all day). If you do not like or cannot do stairs, this is not the place for you. This was the first time we'd stayed at someone's home and would stay here again if we return to Boston!

1 Thank pbduran
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My family spent three nights in this wonderful B&B in South Boston. It was conveniently located near great restaurants, Copely Square and the subway. Jane and Ben were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. Breakfast was excellent, with fresh squeezed orange juice, fresh fruit, coffee, muffins and a selection of cereal. The beds were comfortable and we had everything we needed. It was a great alternative to a hotel. I would definitely recommend staying here.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 July 2013

Great location in the South End neighborhood right off of Tremont street; very close to some fantastic restaurants and the subway. The hosts are incredibly welcoming and helpful, I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple