“Worthy of its good reviews”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #22 of 3,319 Restaurants in Boston
Neighbourhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Reviewed 11 November 2013

We made reservations for Sunday brunch, which turned out to be a good idea. We ordered mimosas and bloody marys and then hit the oysters on the half shell. We tried 4 different kinds and each was worth the billing from our waiter. We followed those with cold half Maine lobsters, halibut ceviche and then finished with fried clams. The three of us were very pleased with the experience and the waiters were attentive and personable (and used the team system.)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,799)

Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was a very fun, upbeat place to eat on our first night in Boston. I booked reservations very early on. I believe they keep tables back for walk-ins but we were able to go right to our table. Service was fantastic, the wines were not inexpensive but what we had provided fantastic quality for the dollar. Oysters were amongst the best I've had and my wife, who had never had oysters before, was an immediate convert.

On the somewhat negative side: their most popular oyster creation was gone for a 9 p.m. sitting but we were told that they usually run out of them during happy hour/cocktail hour between 4 and 7 which seems a bit odd. And we were asked if we wanted sides for the table and to be honest they were not at all necessary (our fault for ordering, but my suggestion would be to stick with the oysters and then a main and skip the sides).

Overall, would definitely go back again.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband & I had brunch here on a Sunday for our anniversary. We had been here earlier this year. Our experience then made us come back. Bad choice. We made a reservation and arrived early to what looked like a packed restaurant. We waited a little bit and we're escorted to our seat in the back where there was plenty of few tables. Not sure why we were made to wait. The waitstaff was slow to come to our table and a few tables around us needed some cleaning. We ordered cocktails and then oysters when we ordered. Our waiter was nice, just not personable. The cocktails were good as well as oysters. We ordered our main meals, fish sandwich and fish& chips. My sandwich was okay, wish they offered less fried food and my husbands fish&chips batter tasted like Chinese batter at our local takeout. Okay but not spectacular. Overall, just okay this time. The restaurant was slow and we had people eating right next to us, felt like they were @ our table. Was surprised @ no acknowledgement about anniversary even though they were notified @ reservation time. We were blow away with our service and food last time. This time not so much.....time to move on.

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

What a great experience, even considering the 2 hour wait for a bar seat. They made our wait fun... were attentive throughout the evening including during the wait. Also these may have been some of the best east coast oysters I have ever had. Thank you!

Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

While the vibe of this restaurant was fun, the food was less than what I had expected based on reviews. The appetizer was good, but I was so disappointed in the lobster/beef/pasta entree that our server suggested as their version of "surf and turf " - and happened to be one of the most expensive items on the menu. My plate had a few small pieces of lobster and of the three very small pieces of beef, one was all fat! Yuck! We did have some tasty peppers as a side dish, but overall it was a dining experience I will not choose to repeat.