“BOSTON SEAFOOD LEGEND”

Island Creek Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Island Creek Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 3,328 Restaurants in Boston
Neighbourhood: Fenway / Kenmore
Cross street: Kenmore
Transit: Kenmore
Reviewed 12 December 2013

The dining room is light and airy with a back wall made of thousands
oyster shells stacked in gaboon cages. The room sizzles with energy
and a very active bar scene. You will immediately encounter large ice
Filled aquariums stacked high with oysters. We had a choice of 12 different oysters including: rocky nooks,chathams, beachpoints, and wellpoints. We loved the fresh razor clams,lobster, and muscles.
My wife had a noodle pasta with lobster, rib meat in a romanesco
sauce which was divine. I usually get the lobster roll because it is 95%
lobster with a very light sauce. The bread and rolls are homemade and
dangerously tempting.
We love the oysters at island Creek oyster bar! They are outstanding as is the service! The Smoked salmon is smoked right there so it is so much better than other smoked salmon. Everything is made right in the restaurant including the bread! We love the fluke crudo, the salmon tartare, and the lobster omelette! My favorite item for brunch is the crabcake Benedict! I only wish that they had it on the menu more often!
Chef Jeremy Sewall is a Boston Seafood legend. The service is excellent and the atmosphere is very friendly. The prices are reasonable
and the fish is fresh. There is not a better place to get truly fresh sea food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,810)

Reviewed 11 December 2013

I've been here for brunch twice and it was really good both times. The first time I was a little disappointed because their menu changes weekly, so they didn't have the kind of French toast that I wanted to try, but the dish I got was still delicious. I got the French toast the second time and it was fantastic, although the portions are little small. Their cocktail list is great and the brunch selection compliments the food.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

The food at ICOB is always delicious, and the team there constantly whips up new and different takes on delicious variations of seafood, as well as other food; but, what really sets Island Creek apart is the service. The place is top notch in every sense of the expression. The GM Tom really knows how to run a restaurant and it shows in every detail.

Reviewed 9 December 2013

I am an English Red Sox fan who visits Boston for a homestand each year. This is my favourite place for a meal before the game. It gets busy because it's good, but half a dozen oysters, crab cakes and a glass or two of white Burgundy is the perfect preliminary to a Sox win. Staff always professional and friendly, however busy it gets, and so are your fellow diners. Love it.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

This will be one of those reviews that drive restaurant owners crazy, because I am being a little negative even though the food was very good, and perhaps my experience was colored by different expectations. But here goes.

I was in Boston recently and spent a long time scouting out where I wanted to have lunch. I wanted an unpretentious seafood joint where I could get fresh chowder and some fried clams, or a lobster roll. I found Island Creek on line and read excellent reviews. Tired of taking cabs, and wanting the fresh air and exercise, I walked three miles and had worked up a pretty good appetite.

Closed for lunch! How can that be, when I read their lunch menu on line? I assumed if they had a lunch menu, they would serve lunch. As it turns out, they are never open for lunch. The only day they open before 4 PM is Sunday and they have a Sunday brunch. So why would they post a lunch menu when they are never open for lunch and have a separate brunch menu?

Had I ignored the lunch menu and looked at their hours on the web site, I would have realized they were not open until 4 PM on a Saturday. No matter. I would hold out until 4 PM. So I went next door for a beer and bided my time until Island Creek opened at 4 PM.

At 4 PM I went in ready to order, only to discover that only the raw bar was open - no hot food until 5 PM. Again, annoyed - this detail was not on the website at all. I had a really nice wine and an excellent selection of oysters. The bartenders were well informed. Finally at 5 PM I ordered chowder and fried clams. Both were very tasty, the clams quite fresh. However, the chowder was overwhelmed with a house made bacon. Sure it was good, but I wanted the clams to be the most prominent taste in a clam chowder.

As for the fried clams, they had a fish sandwich, but they would not serve me a fried clam sandwich. OK, so I just got the clams. They were tasty.

The décor is white and stainless steel, spacious, very modern and stylish. Almost in an antiseptic way, like a restaurant in a futuristic science fiction movie.

I get what they're trying to do, marrying the farm-to-table movement with a sea-to-table movement, craft beverages, and riding the crest of the wave of the whole local and artisan food movement. Or it could have been a fancy way of saying "we serve fish fresh off the boat from local merchants."

All in all, the Island Creek Oyster Bar was the complete antithesis of an unpretentious Boston seafood bar. Whether that is a good thing or not is up to the individual consumer.

1  Thank BaddMonkey